Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Planar Protector

there's barely a difference between FoL and Root. Root does indeed cost more mana, but not by a hell of a lot. both cause the mob to follow the same agro rules while the spell is in effect -- either way the mob just attacks the closest PC on its agro list. but FoL you have no choice but to stand next to the mob until the effect wears off. Root allows you to freely move around without worrying about blind mobs running around and causing adds.

i suppose the deciding factor might be the amount of agro the spell generates. both will generate agro as well as causing the mob to attack the closest PC. i just don't know which one produces more agro.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:04 PM
Planar Protector

Blinded mobs attack the player with highest aggro within melee range. They will also follow their target. They only run around if initially blinded outside melee range of a player. If you want to 'park' a mob and move to something else then that is an ideal use of root (cc) ^^
Old 08-12-2015, 03:54 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmakos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
there's barely a difference between FoL and Root. Root does indeed cost more mana, but not by a hell of a lot. both cause the mob to follow the same agro rules while the spell is in effect -- either way the mob just attacks the closest PC on its agro list. but FoL you have no choice but to stand next to the mob until the effect wears off. Root allows you to freely move around without worrying about blind mobs running around and causing adds.

i suppose the deciding factor might be the amount of agro the spell generates. both will generate agro as well as causing the mob to attack the closest PC. i just don't know which one produces more agro.
I don't like using root mainly because of all the stupid people who don't fight at max melee range.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durothil Skyreaver [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't like using root mainly because of all the stupid people who don't fight at max melee range.
Group with a hard-ass cleric. Some players won't pay attention unless bad things happen when they don't. It needs to be the cleric (healer), you can yell at some people all day and they won't change a thing until they actually face-plant.

I've also had to correct the reverse twice, a warrior dandy standing as far from the mob as he could.

Root is great for controlling combat vs. low blues, so strange to me that more people don't take advantage of it.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:55 PM
Planar Protector

I emphatically hate when people root things that I'm fighting. As a consequence I hardly used Root on my Paladin except as crowd control. Folks who aren't annoyed by Root as I am often report satisfactory service from the root-as-aggro tactic. It's just a different means of achieving the same goal. Do what you have fun doing.

Normally I kept up Flash of Light, two stuns, Root, and a heal spell, with a few discretionary slots left over. Some Paladins elect to keep Divine Aura memorized at all times. Velious doesn't really change much except high-level Paladins might elect to keep the heal over time memorized once it comes available. Most of the Paladin's spellbook consists either of buffs or situational spells.

Danth
Old 08-12-2015, 06:56 PM
Planar Protector

i like to keep Counteract Poison and Cancel Magic memmed. i like to keep Soothe memmed. my blue server paladin is only level 24, though. but my red server paladin and my paladins on other emu servers usually get a setup like this:

3: Yaulp
4: Heal
5: Root
6: Stun
7: Holy Might
shift+3: Cure Poison
shift+4: Cancel Magic
shift+5: Calm

with those shift slots being the slots that usually get cycled for other utility spells. of course, i change out Counteract Poison depending on what i'm fighting, but being able to quickly get rid of Shaman/Necro poison DOTs is huge. sometimes i swap in Counteract Disease instead of Cancel Magic.

i like keeping Heal on my 4 hotkey, so that i can go F1 - 4 - ` to heal myself in combat and immediately retarget the mob closest to me.

i love root. i root almost everything if i have a C2 up.

also note that i'm one of those crazy paladins that doesn't mind soloing. root jousting FTW.

with Velious out now i'd imagine that i'd end up putting my HOT in my 4 slot, putting my regular heal to 6 (root has to be 5 on all my characters, i'm OCD about it), sliding my stuns over to 7 and 8.... would knock out Counteract Poison probably so i can make room for the extra heal. would just swap in Divine Purpose and Divine Might into that Cancel Magic slot as needed.

that group heal also might be a lot more useful than some people think. healing 6 characters at once is going to generate a lot of agro.
Last edited by pharmakos; 08-12-2015 at 07:00 PM..
Old 08-12-2015, 07:33 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Blinded mobs attack the player with highest aggro within melee range. They will also follow their target. They only run around if initially blinded outside melee range of a player. If you want to 'park' a mob and move to something else then that is an ideal use of root (cc) ^^
The problem isn't with FoL's design, but rather how unpredictable and buggy it can be.

For me the most notable case was when tanking a horse on sky island 4 with probably 25-30 people beating on it, it flew away blinded, even with everyone chasing and hitting it, it didn't stop until killed. Now I only use it on mobs that are immune to the effect or after a snare has landed.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem isn't with FoL's design, but rather how unpredictable and buggy it can be.

For me the most notable case was when tanking a horse on sky island 4 with probably 25-30 people beating on it, it flew away blinded, even with everyone chasing and hitting it, it didn't stop until killed. Now I only use it on mobs that are immune to the effect or after a snare has landed.
Probably do to a higher than average hitbox. I remember encountering the same thing back at the giant fort in FM. Just needed to stand on top of them to avoid issues. Those situations of course make it a less reliable tool and make root more attractive. You just have to learn to recognize them ^^ Or, root everything instead at 500% (or 267% if using the lower spell) the mana expenditure. Now if roots are holding through an entire encounter (i.e. no nukes, low MR, etc.) then maybe it is not such a big deal if you don't ever need to reposition the target ^^
Old 08-13-2015, 09:59 AM
Sarnak

Escapegoat, do not comment in threads if you do not plan on coming back and killing dragons with us.
Stunz Andmezs - 60 Enchanter
Bripip - 60 Wizard
Bogmuk - 59 Warrior
Rational - 55 Shaman
Paradoxy - 42 Ranger
Old 08-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Planar Protector

i'm already signed up for the raid tonight on guildlaunch, broseph [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]