Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 10:57 PM
Aviak

Loramin, I did a lot of test during the week end. I fixed, for now all the issue I had.
No crash in 6+ hours. Which is amazing!

Decided to start fresh from 0 on the green server.
Again thanks for your time and help. Greatly appreciated!
Old 03-02-2020, 11:32 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
B) in my experience many issues are graphics driver related, so I'd try playing with different versions of both the open source and proprietary drivers until you find one that works well
If you have an AMD/ATI card and you're using the proprietary drivers, you're gonna have a bad time. Use the free ones, they're better and they're installed by default.

If you have an Nvidia card, you're probably using the proprietary drivers, and you're gonna have a bad time. Buy new hardware. (Everything will work until you try to upgrade, then you are absolutely boned. I have seen several installs bricked by NVidia drivers. Friends don't let friends use NVDA.)

If you have an Intel card...well, EQ will work. That and Minecraft. Intel's advantage is that every linux distro everywhere includes the best Intel driver (there is no proprietary driver). See what older AMD cards you can find on eBay.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:56 AM
Aviak

Hello Benanov,

You already are my friend talking like that about amd.
I run a Ryzen2600 and a RX480 and run the free driver under mesa 19.3.4.
Not that it changes anything for Everquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The problem I had for everquest came from using Lutris. For whatever reason...
I run all my game using Lutris as a frontend to wine and it has seriously been a charm to use.
For Everquest though, not so much. I created a fresh .wine and run Everquest from the cli using that .wine as the wine prefix. It work perfectly.

I will spend more time later on to find what Lutris does to that game to make it crash, otherwise i will not be able to sleep.(but I probably won't and just run from the cli and enjoy the game(and still be able to sleep!))
Old 03-02-2020, 12:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Loramin, I did a lot of test during the week end. I fixed, for now all the issue I had.
No crash in 6+ hours. Which is amazing!

Decided to start fresh from 0 on the green server.
Again thanks for your time and help. Greatly appreciated!
Glad I could help [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benanov [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you have an AMD/ATI card and you're using the proprietary drivers, you're gonna have a bad time. Use the free ones, they're better and they're installed by default.

If you have an Nvidia card, you're probably using the proprietary drivers, and you're gonna have a bad time. Buy new hardware. (Everything will work until you try to upgrade, then you are absolutely boned. I have seen several installs bricked by NVidia drivers. Friends don't let friends use NVDA.)

If you have an Intel card...well, EQ will work. That and Minecraft. Intel's advantage is that every linux distro everywhere includes the best Intel driver (there is no proprietary driver). See what older AMD cards you can find on eBay.
I actually have both an Nvidia card AND a built-in Intel one, which of course is extra fun on Linux.

But really, I don't think you can make generalizations. For me having two cards, but using the Nvidia one with proprietary drivers (specifically nvidia-415) works great.

And if you were going to pick a company to hate, I'd pick ATI over Nvidia. I once had a TV tuner card from them and, no joke, their support team told me to reinstall the drivers for it (requiring a computer reset) ... every time I wanted to use the card!

Also, my cousin worked there for a year, so I can confirm the company's as messed up internally as it appears to be externally. Meanwhile I used to work with both companies for my job (granted this was like twenty years ago) and Nvidia always had their shit together while ATI rarely did.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread