Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 04:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Removing variance (or reducing it to like +/- 5minutes to prevent some cheesing on racing) would have a significant impact on the quality of life of everyone who raids, and people who want to raid.

For casual guilds it makes it possible to compete without needing a 200 man roster so that you can have all hours of targets windows covered, and lets them schedule raid targets, and compete with smaller numbers.

For hardcorde guilds it removes the Mike Rowe-esque dirty job of focusing intensely at a wall for 16 hours and lets people focus more on racing and metas that are actually relevant to gameplay.

For the staff it would ideally (possible pipe dream?) reduce the overall amount of elf lawyering since people aren't investing 100s of hours every cycle with possibly 0 return. At this point you could spend 40 hours writing your elf law complaints and still spend less time on it that you did on tracking 2 mobs.

The ironic thing here is that variance was added with the intent to stop poopsocking (it certainly stopped what was happening at the time), but all it has done is made it so you need to poopsock intensely for the entire duration to even have a chance.

It's not classic, and I'm not sure what purpose it has at this point.
Yea the only anti-sock alternative I can think of that'd reduce it would be a zone wide banish when a raid mob pops. And the server could announce it (possibly, not a hard requirement)

Downside would be whoever zones the fastest often would just win the mob (it'd perhaps require a throttle)

2 trackers allows massive forces to be ready to instant engage with COTH, and is a large culprit.
Old 09-14-2021, 04:44 PM
Banned

Toggle pvp on during quakes.
Old 09-14-2021, 04:59 PM
Fire Giant

Bag limit kael.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yendor is dropping truth bombs in this thread, and all the "arguments" against his points are so weak they're actually making the case for him.
Well he is arguing from a classic perspective found on some servers, so 'not classic' doesn't work. When you get mauve server, be sure to stop in the general chat area and strike up some server vs. server drama to keep things interesting for yourselves, i largely ignore if because its no longer relevant to my game world. Like a Bristlebane player keeping up with the Karana server.

The amount of new players will be spikey at first then settle to a handful of newcomers with a bunch of boxing going on between servers. No longer PVE vs. PVP.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allishia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And you can be casual and join a raid guild if all your wanting to do is kill some dragons and not expecting bis loots...don't have to play often, tbh I hardly play much at all anymore, just log in, tank a dragon or two or 3 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I could also go to a strip club wearing a blindfold.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 09-14-2021, 05:44 PM
Sarnak

Back in the olden days, when I started playing eq, they nerfed wizzerds. Then they nerphed other classes just to make it more fair.
I thought then and still do think, if you think your character is under powered, change to one that has what you want. Don't screw up someone else's fun.
That works in life too.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And you would still have it. Again, what is wrong with providing an optional rotation-based server? There is literally no detriment to you. No one is forcing you to play there, you would still have a competitive option.

Talk about entitlement... I'm the one who's entitled? I just want to have fun with my friends, man.

You're the indignant, entitled asshole wanting to deprive an entire demographic of players from having fun because you and others like you have decided for the rest of the server, twice in a row now (Blue and Green), what the barrier of entry is for and earning pixel trinkets on a 22-year-old elf simulator. All because you are afraid your hard-earned 3am batphone pixels will mean less on your competitive server if a casual player can log on in a relaxed fashion at 8pm to raid NTOV with their like-minded friends without some internet bullies dumping trains on them on a rotation server. THAT, my friend, is entitlement.

Each subset of players having their own server does not impact you in any way unless you're worried everyone would flock to the rotation server and leave "competitive" servers empty and desolate, unless you're afraid to actually compete, or if you have some concerns that RMT demand would drop because casuals would be able to get your pixels. So which one is it? Fair question.
Coming from your casual mind, I can understand how you just don't get it. I truly believe you're playing the wrong game. No one is denying you anything, all it takes is some effort on you and your friends part to be successful. There's nothing stopping you from: learning the mechanics, getting like-minded individuals together sufficient to complete the task, preparing, and executing so you can all "have fun".

What's stopping you? What targets are you trying to go after and experience? There's been many occasions where a group of friends (guilds) have sent a message to leadership in both top raiding guilds to see if they would abstain on a certain target for their enjoyment, with acknowledgement and agreement from the top two raiding guilds. If you think you're going to "raid NToV" while the top raid guilds leave it up and uncontested for your pleasure, you're sorely mistaken and I'll elaborate the reasons "why?" shortly.

You seem to fail to grasp the nature of Everquest on P99 and on live from back in the day. The game is competitive by design, not just in raiding. Literally everything is competitive and it didn't start changing until LDON with instances, then they eventually went back and changed Plane of Time to instanced during OoW.

You're advocating for an optional server with rotated content...there's plenty of other servers out there with that exact feature in mind. Take your friends and go have fun?

You also have this misconception of how raiding was back in Classic on Live and how it is now on p99 in 2021, so I'll try to expand the concept:

Live raiding was always Loot Council because a guild needed Tanks / Clerics / etc geared up to be able to take down the next targets in progressive expansions. You also had Raid Attendance % minimums that had to be met in order to be considered for an item in most guilds, to show that you were pulling your weight and contributing. This was also true here on P99 when Velious dropped. Tanks / Clerics / Shamans all received ST keys loot counciled so we could break in and contest Rampage, etc. The rules have changed over the years and a lot of people fought against the loot council rules to get it changed to a fairer system. After loot council was gone, you still had to maintain a minimum RA% in order to bid on stuff, and it was For Mains Only. One could never bid for your alts unless main swapped and made it official, to be blessed by leadership of course. Think your 60 Cleric Main is going to get the go ahead to swap to another toon? Think again. Now, one doesn't need any RA% in order to bid on an item and you may also bid on items for any of alts on top of that. This situation has been in place about two years now and what you're seeing is the continuous evolution of the system.

So for the first 10 years of the existence of raiding on p99, most guilds couldn't afford to let people gear alts without recourse, maybe the 2nd or 3rd year of Kunark onward to Velious would be the exception, until Velious dropped and the cycle reverted. Now, for the last two years or so, alts have been getting the special treatment that they've been denied. Just to put this into perspective for you. This is the reason all targets are contested all the time, for the most part. The constant evolution of the raid rules, both within guilds, from CSR, and the natural timeline of progression on p99, has dictated the very nature of the raid scene. The burning out of raiders that push too hard and don't take breaks, the influx of new members fresh onto the competitive raid scene and they require training, the advent of Green and split populations...all of these factors and more come into play.

Do you have any idea how long some people have been wanting some items, or any items, for some of their other toons? Not to mention the BiS stuff from off of Vulak / Doze / etc for their main toons?? People have literally been waiting YEARS. And here you come along and want to shit on everyone else's time and sacrifices just so you and your friends can "have some fun". Do you have any concept of the amount of bullshit raiders have had to wade through, across guilds and across server rule changes, just to get the opportunity for that one item they've been after for years?? How about how many times we've failed before we learned to succeed, over and over again? Can you imagine how many bites of the shit sandwich people take and continue to drive on like the consummate professionals they are, all the while dealing with differing personalities, politics, and all the social abstracts that come with being in a raiding guild? It can take one person up to 6 months of raiding to get just ONE bis item. There's people on this server that have been playing for 10 years and just recently gained full BiS. Constantly sacrificing some of their time and dealing with infinite bitching and moaning from you casuals about "whaaaa, we just want to enjoy the content too without any effort!" and all the while against the very nature of the game.

Fuck off you Motherfucker You.... and I mean that with all due respect. So yes, you are the entitled asshole in this scenario lacking empathy. I'm just the necessary asshole that has the privilege of explaining this to you. There are plenty of options for you and your friends to have some fun, whether it be here on p99 or elsewhere.

No one is depriving you of anything. Come and get it, play on another server, or just stfu already.

Cheers
Old 09-14-2021, 08:44 PM
Fire Giant

lol
Old 09-14-2021, 08:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yendor is dropping truth bombs in this thread, and all the "arguments" against his points are so weak they're actually making the case for him.
on live, if you weren't apart of the 1 or 2 top guilds, you weren't getting ToV gear in Velious.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:09 PM
Banned

Yendor is mad the only loot he has is thorny vine armor from plane of fear

heard TAKP has rotations, could try that out if you really want all raid content to be

rotated

we already have drafts, bag limits, and rolls. what more do you want?

full rotations isn't classic, it's kinda cringe not gonna lie
Closed Thread