Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 05:05 PM
Kobold

Any old schoolers playing this? I played Chowda in classic into early Velious. Looking for a new server probably covenant side. Just looking for a balanced server.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh yeah, imo the two are tightly related.

I spent 38 minutes playing the game and realized it's total and utter trash. Not like oh we didn't know what we were doing trash. No no no. It's intentional trash. It has to be because it's literally impossible for passionate and creative people to create dreck like this. I won't provide my litany because you're either sugar-coating a pile of turds in an attempt to get a new MMO fix or you see it for what it is. I'm not Roddy Piper with the glasses, don't care about convincing people it's actually crap on their plate.

The thing is the suckage is just so obvious the product is definitely going to be bleeding players very fast. Lol I mean it's even conceivable the management will get a bonus for shutting down servers early in order to save money in the long run. One thing they won't be doing is carrying this wreck any longer than they have to. The only thing these people are concerned about is coming out of this disaster clean, so they gonna close it up before it has a chance to generate any losses and call it a win-win. I understand what you're saying about long term investment and your point about the game staying good, but my argument is the game is incredibly bad to begin with, and just to bring it up to a minimum level of expectations will cost tons of time and money and it won't be good then either, just acceptable. Management knows this and they will blow very well rendered smoke up everyone's asses until the moment they turn out the lights and take their remaining money with them.
Can't take this post seriously. 38 minutes is enough to tell you if you like or dislike the playstyle, sure. But being able to judge the overall quality of a game after less than an hour? lol

In that time you probably got to level 5 and maybe tried 2 different weapons with 1-2 skills unlocked in each. You certainly didn't get to crafting, PvP, dungeons, or anything else. Come back and offer a critique after you've played enough to know what you're talking about.

This game is far from perfect and has quite a few things that do need improvement, sure. But it's not even close to "total and utter trash".
Old 10-18-2021, 06:14 AM
Banned

I saw it's been killing 3090s because the piss poor engine taxes the GPU like a stress test and the power delivery system on some models just fries the card instead of handling it. Lol. The malfunction happens in such a way that you set your power limit, but the engine somehow draws MASSIVE power before the power limiter kicks in. Hilarious compound failure.

but yea I get it if you run a poor machine and a big fan of Bezos and his...interest in blood goblet Cortez and his new hispanic BEAUTY gf it probably looks aite. just LOVE that ART DIRECTION [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also doesn't it have like no vendor NPCs? So Bezos makes a free market simulator and for some reason puts an ugly ass Spanish Imperial skin on it, I just love that. And it's coded like Vanguard. I hope he lets smallpox back out of the labs so we can larp the whole game. In the meantime, who wouldn't want to soak in such a artisticly rich environs? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by imperiouskitten; 10-18-2021 at 06:39 AM..
Old 10-18-2021, 06:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteaded [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The biggest problem I find with nearly all modern games is there is this overall sense that I'm just playing the game exactly how the devs want me to play. There is a real lack of adventure and choice. It's like a build your own adventure book where all routes lead to the same spot and choices had no real impact.

Also this mechanic that I need to gather 100 Wood to go to level 1, then 200 to level to, and then 400 to level 3...just these massive numbers that are incredibly demoralizing when you realize it's just more of the same but with different materials. Or even worse, just a shit ton of the same material you've been gathering the whole time. This has to go away and it's just flat out lazy poor design.

I just started UO Outlands and the depth that these old games have is just amazing. There are a shit ton of skills, a world that is huge with surprises and new features that pop out as you level. Contrast that with modern games and it's no wonder UO and Everquest are still popular.
Is there any lore or depth? It looks like a bunch of random areas with random names for the sake of it (like the Fortnite map).

EQ had replayability because there were so many classes, doesn't seem like there's any subtle differences here... tank/healer/ranged dps. Kinda dumbed down. I'd give the pvp a try if I bought it but it looks like Alterac Valley.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Corporate gaming, Hasbro owns the D&D titties.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hasbro-...ly-11633908662

WoTC are also trash.

Tactical Studies Rules is prime nerd though.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Man that thumbnail.

Plz see a doctor.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can't take this post seriously. 38 minutes is enough to tell you if you like or dislike the playstyle, sure. But being able to judge the overall quality of a game after less than an hour? lol

In that time you probably got to level 5 and maybe tried 2 different weapons with 1-2 skills unlocked in each. You certainly didn't get to crafting, PvP, dungeons, or anything else. Come back and offer a critique after you've played enough to know what you're talking about.

This game is far from perfect and has quite a few things that do need improvement, sure. But it's not even close to "total and utter trash".
I got to level zero! I created a character that looked like every other character. I was the same height and body style as everyone else. I was the same race. I went out and saw some guys with these huge anime-hammers like 10 feet long just floating on their backs. And then I watched some people fight and it was all this giant jumble of explosions and whooshes and sparklies with numbers flying everywhere.

I didn't do any quests because they are all the same trivial ask. I didn't do any crafting because it's just makework to keep you busy. I didn't go into any dungeons because there weren't any. I didn't participate in pvp because that is locked behind 100s of hours of pointless crafting, I mean pointless other than serving as a gate to the content you actually want.

Then I looked at their chat functionality. Then I logged off and got a refund. Complete and utter trash buoyed by graphics that they obviously spent all their time and money on to hook people in with flash over substance.

I can't think of a single mechanic or feature in this game that is innovative. It's literally all the same recycled ideas from a bunch of different games.

I don't need to swim in shit for six hours. I smelled it before I even jumped in.

I understand why people want to give this soulless adventure in corporate game-making a shot. Because there hasn't been a major mmo release in 4 years and the most popular one is 20 years old and the highest rated one is 9. However, New World is junk. Sorry. I really am. I wish New World was worth it, just to keep the mmo genre solid and fruitful.
Last edited by BlackBellamy; 10-18-2021 at 09:57 AM..
Old 10-18-2021, 11:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I watched a couple nit-wits on Youtube try P99 (and classic EQ) for the first time. They made a couple dwarves and bumblefucked around for 45 minutes trying to find what to do because nothing told them or pointed a direction. They both disliked the game and turned it off.

I went to the comments section and typed out a piece similar to yours then hit erase. I remembered no one had to sell me on EQ. My nerd boner was max stiffy without any of that.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is there any lore or depth? It looks like a bunch of random areas with random names for the sake of it (like the Fortnite map).

EQ had replayability because there were so many classes, doesn't seem like there's any subtle differences here... tank/healer/ranged dps. Kinda dumbed down. I'd give the pvp a try if I bought it but it looks like Alterac Valley.
Mix and match any of nine race/class combinations!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-18-2021, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mix and match any of nine race/class combinations!

That is the sexiest most attractive half elf.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:08 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I got to level zero! I created a character that looked like every other character. I was the same height and body style as everyone else. I was the same race. I went out and saw some guys with these huge anime-hammers like 10 feet long just floating on their backs. And then I watched some people fight and it was all this giant jumble of explosions and whooshes and sparklies with numbers flying everywhere.

I didn't do any quests because they are all the same trivial ask. I didn't do any crafting because it's just makework to keep you busy. I didn't go into any dungeons because there weren't any. I didn't participate in pvp because that is locked behind 100s of hours of pointless crafting, I mean pointless other than serving as a gate to the content you actually want.

Then I looked at their chat functionality. Then I logged off and got a refund. Complete and utter trash buoyed by graphics that they obviously spent all their time and money on to hook people in with flash over substance.

I can't think of a single mechanic or feature in this game that is innovative. It's literally all the same recycled ideas from a bunch of different games.

I don't need to swim in shit for six hours. I smelled it before I even jumped in.

I understand why people want to give this soulless adventure in corporate game-making a shot. Because there hasn't been a major mmo release in 4 years and the most popular one is 20 years old and the highest rated one is 9. However, New World is junk. Sorry. I really am. I wish New World was worth it, just to keep the mmo genre solid and fruitful.
No one ever dreams of being a cynic.

Sorry you're afflicted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I watched a couple nit-wits on Youtube try P99 (and classic EQ) for the first time. They made a couple dwarves and bumblefucked around for 45 minutes trying to find what to do because nothing told them or pointed a direction. They both disliked the game and turned it off.

I went to the comments section and typed out a piece similar to yours then hit erase. I remembered no one had to sell me on EQ. My nerd boner was max stiffy without any of that.
Did they go on a forum and talk about how trash it was and insult the player base? Even Fortnite has merits. Sad so many people are jaded little angst cynics and can't see them. Gamers today are worthless, in the day everyone knew how to mod a game, how to make their own game even.. Now? Most gamers don't even know what an executable is.. While Unreal Engine makes it so easy a child can do it, most still refuse to jump on a game engine and prove their worth. Cynical "game analysts, journalists" are a fucking joke, that is why they don't really exist anymore.

The only value you as a gamer have, with your opinions on what makes a good game: Is making games. That is how it worked.. Now gamers are just lazy bitches who think their opinions matter to anyone. Almost every "issue" people have in New World is by design, Same can be said for Everquest, Dark Souls, EVE, Fortnite..

It is possible to make another Everquest like game in Unreal Engine or Unity.. It isn't even that hard, lazy useless gamers just have to stop being gamers for a minute and spend their time in an Engine, like with LanternEQ.com for example. In the 80s-90s a lot of gamers were devs as well, the dev to gamer ratio was like 1 to 10 back then, in 2020 the dev to gamer ratio is about 0.00001 to 10. That is the only reason why you don't see an explosion of games today like we did back then, no one is making them, everyone is playing them.

I get not liking a game, but hating a game? Calling it trash? 12 year old going on 32 kind of incel energy.
Last edited by Shawk; 10-18-2021 at 01:34 PM..
Closed Thread