Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 01:27 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New Player

Hi Everyone,

I use to play EQ back in 2001, played a ranger (ya what was I thinking) and retired after planes of power. Decided to load up P99 and loving the experience, even though corpse runs are a pain I forgot.

Tried Blue and Green server but seem to keep going back to Blue for the easier to use UI.

Few Questions:
1) Rolled an Enchanter this time round so looking to find which are the best solo spots to go to? I'm currently bound in Freeport.

2) I wasn't able to buy all of my lvl 8 spells, is there a camp or mob type I should concentrate on to get some plat?

3) Is there any starter gear that can be quested at lvl 8?

4) Getting groups possible on Blue or should I stop on this server and flip back to Green?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2021, 08:55 PM
Planar Protector

1) If you don't mind the travel IMO head to Qeynos and start doing rabid wolves/bear quests, unless anything has changed its killer exp per quest turn in and great money for new players to the server. Check my signature for qeynos questing.

2) you don't really need all of your spells each spell level, just get the essentials. see 1) for those plat gains.

3) afaik there isn't any quest type gear unless you're an iksar.

4) might be harder to find already running groups on Blue but you can always get one started, I just got back a few weeks ago and plenty of people are willing to at least duo.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:05 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1) If you don't mind the travel IMO head to Qeynos and start doing rabid wolves/bear quests, unless anything has changed its killer exp per quest turn in and great money for new players to the server. Check my signature for qeynos questing.
When I first started 3ish years ago, used to find them all over Western Karana. I just started playing again, and couldn't find them in the Karana area only in Qeynos Hills. Wonder if something changed or if them being in Karana was a bug back then.

I would also try to get a magic weapon and hunt the Wisps and turn in the lightstones, still good xp and money for the greater ones.

Also Warrens is great xp, no one ever there but people farming rep to get the hole key pretty much. Horde the teeth till you can get into Paineel, turn in the teeth for rep and chance at ringmail armor. Then at level 14ish you can start on the guards in Paineel, looking at 9+ plat for each one.
Last edited by caveslug; 08-28-2021 at 11:08 AM..
Old 08-28-2021, 11:07 AM
Sarnak

If you want a little starter plat message me on Cellar when you see me online and I'll try and help. Early spell levels are ROUGH!
Old 08-28-2021, 01:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveslug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I first started 3ish years ago, used to find them all over Western Karana. I just started playing again, and couldn't find them in the Karana area only in Qeynos Hills. Wonder if something changed or if them being in Karana was a bug back then.
Good point actually, I think the karana plague event changed spawns and pathing in Q hills. Bummer, I had half a mind to start a character on Green but if it's all borked then maybe not.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:45 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Awesome, thanks everyone for the advice. Learning curve is tough but it sure is fun so far!
Old 08-29-2021, 02:14 AM
Sarnak

Pretty sure at 8 you can do the ENTIRE Stein of Moggok quest? Just strap on those running shoes.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:02 PM
Banned

In I believe south qeynos, in the House of Thunder, is a quest giver named Chesgard Sydwen. He should become your best friend

Head to the karanas, I believe west has the best selection, and start killing bandits. Look on the p99 maps for where there camps are, I forget what levels they are, maybe around 10'ish

They drop bronze weapons, which sell for a few pp each, but they also drop bandit sashes. The thing that makes bandit sashes actually better than bronze weapons is that they have almost no weight, so you can carry a lot. Get some medicine bags from a vendor (lightest backpack) and fill them to the brim with bandit sashes. Truck all those bandit sashes back to Chesgard Sydwen, and he will give you some exp and a random bronze weapon for each one

I think I made about 2,500pp at level 10 doing that quest on my first char. I gave him hundreds of bandit sashes, including when they no longer gave any exp for killing (I just continued to massacre them with my animation pet which was higher level than them at that point). That's way more pp than most new players have around that level

Take that money and buy a cheap full set of cha gear for your chanter. It will make charming a little safer (never completely safe though). But I wouldn't bother with consistent charming until later than most people recommend. Your animation pet will continue to do as much or more damage than mobs do until at least the mid 20's

edit: if you plan to do this, I wouldn't recommend the stein of moggok quest. It's fun, and I did it, but if you have the money to buy a rod of glamour from the EC tunnel (which on blue probably isn't that expensive, maybe a few hundred pp if that), then there really isn't much of a use for the stein of moggok, unless you want a separate set of int gear. Because the ideal setup is rod of glamour mainhand, crude stein (which can be bought from vendors in Oggok for like 10pp with DE illusion) offhand. I ended up selling my stein of moggok a few days after I got it without ever using it, because I ended up picking up a rod of glamour being sold at ec tunnel
Last edited by unsunghero; 08-29-2021 at 02:25 PM..
Old 08-30-2021, 01:14 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspectre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretty sure at 8 you can do the ENTIRE Stein of Moggok quest? Just strap on those running shoes.
I think so
Closed Thread