Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 03-12-2019, 05:09 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Didn't die but lost exp and have to retrieve corpse

Hey so I was in dreadlands and gated with a spider on me, got knocked down to about 17% health but the gate went off but when i arrived back in FV i had none of my equipment and it looks like I lost experience as if I had died but the chat window does not say that i died it says that the gate went off so I'm not sure what happened here.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:12 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I have screenshots if needed
Old 03-12-2019, 05:52 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds like you died while zoning which happens every once in a while but I can confirm based on the evidence you provided in the OP, you in fact did die.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:25 PM
Planar Protector

In classic if it detected you zoned it moved you to safe spot and didn't kill you. I have posted proof of this in other threads. Not enabled on p99 at the moment.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:13 PM
Decaying Skeleton

yeah but I still had 17% health when the Gate went off, how did I die?
Old 03-12-2019, 10:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiveshin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of client/server dynamics, but could be something like the client detected you gated but server had sent some NPC hit data that wasn't calculated yet, so it factored that in resulting in a load death?

Could be a lag spike or something where you didn't log the NPC hits properly in the client display, so the client thought you gated but the server corrected it to a death?

I dunno, glitches be glitches. I do know original EQ protected against this, but I don't know if P99 ever will (or if they even can).
Old 03-12-2019, 10:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiveshin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In EQ your computer has a version of what's going on, and so does the server. Under normal conditions the two are in sync, but not always. For instance, if you unplug your router you'll notice that you can still move around in game (for awhile): this is because your computer still has its version of things, and it's able to show you the game by running purely on that version.

But the version on your computer doesn't matter: it's the version on the server that matters. So what most likely happened was that you were at ?% HP. Your computer thought you were at 17%, but really it was just out of date (in the same way as if you'd unplugged your cable, although I doubt you unplugged your cable: there was probably just a hiccup at your ISP or somewhere else along the way on the Internet). Your actual health was less, but because your computer didn't know your actual health, it showed you the wrong number.

Then, when you gated (which your computer showed you doing successfully because it was out of sync), your computer synced up with the server. Meanwhile, while all the above had been going on, you'd been dying on the server's version of things, and when your computer synced up it realized that and showed you dead.

TLDR; You were already dead and didn't know it because of network lag between your computer and the server. It's a terribly frustrating way to die, but it's an inherent limitation of fallible networks and an older game.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:19 AM
Planar Protector

the pain of clicking your WC cap in time, have your client load screen then to find out your not in WC but at your bind naked and when you get to your corpse, your WC cap is now uncharged...ARGH!!!
Old 03-25-2019, 09:36 AM
Planar Protector

I can confirm that live did put you in a safe spot rather than dead at bind point, what I can't confirm is if this was added post luclin or if it wad classic...