Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 10:52 PM
Planar Protector

Default Dispel Protection

Is there any way to protect my precious buffs from the ceaseless barrage of dispels?

I've been away for awhile and last I played you could just use gob earring and bracer of the hidden junk buffs in your top 2 slots and protect yourself from dispels further down. Putting up junk buffs now doesn't seem to make a difference because sometimes it still goes right for my regen, clarity, etc.

Is there anything I can do?
Old 02-09-2019, 11:55 PM
Banned

Random as all fuck now. From what buff is targeted, to how many are removed (there are different ranks and types of dispels)
Old 02-15-2019, 10:53 AM
Sarnak

Supposedly it's something like this:

Every buff/debuff has a "counter" (lower level buffs have lower counters).
Dispell targets a certain number of "counters" and gets stronger with each level (cancel magic > nullify > pillage etc.). Note: it gets stronger in both how effective it is at stripping a buff "counter" (it's harder for the buff to save) AND it can strip more "counters"
When you get dispelled, there is a behind the scenes roll starting with the first buff slot. If the first buff slot "saves" against the dispell, then it goes to the next and so forth until the dispell gets as many successful dispells as the spell allows. Sometimes this will remove 0 buffs from your buff bar, but the buffs remaining lost some of their "counters."

Because of this format, it's possible for two buffs with counters of 1 in your first buff slots to succeed on the save, but then clarity fails, so it gets stripped from slot 3.

This also means that junk buffs are more valuable versus *stronger* dispells as they have a higher chance of stripping the junk first (thereby using the successful debuffs before they get to the good buffs). This is why you almost always lose your first 2 debuffs with dragons, etc.--in fact, some of these dispells might be unresistable (in that the buffs themselves can't save).
Old 03-06-2019, 07:05 AM
Aviak

it seems like the order shown in your buff window and what the server/game thinks your buff order is often get desynced.

there is nothing you can do. buffs randomly get dispelled completely out of order and move around when you zone. get used to recasting your buffs because a lvl 20 goblin dispelled your 14th slot aego instead of 1st slot grim aura.

even better is when you get dotted in your first slot but the game thinks its actually in your 12th slot with no way for you to possibly know. good luck pumicing all your buffs off until you find it.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:28 AM
Planar Protector

Slots don't and aren't supposed to mean anything to dispels.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:45 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Slots don't and aren't supposed to mean anything to dispels.
except for the order in which the dispell checks against spell effects? lol?
Old 03-06-2019, 07:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexNews [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
except for the order in which the dispell checks against spell effects? lol?
Nope
Old 03-07-2019, 11:10 AM
Planar Protector

Basically there is nothing you can do at this point

I have about 7 junk buffs and I just keep them in my first 7 slots just because it makes me feel better
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 03-14-2019, 05:16 PM
Sarnak

Did something change with regards to this in the last patch? There was usually a pretty strong correlation between where things dispel and where they are in the buff list up through the end of last year, at least. I'm pretty sure Karthil is more or less correct on how it worked.

For example, I have 3 clickies and can often come out of a fight with a glimmer drake in HoT preserving Aego and haste, since their dispel is strong and pretty much always kills the top 4 buffs. Likewise, keeping a top buff slot clear while fighting in Siren's Grotto allows me to get slow annulled off by a friendly caster, while attempting to clean it off myself with Crystallized Pumice is a crap shoot since it isn't as strong.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:46 AM
Planar Protector

Its been in there since like a year+ ago's patch.

Its random.
Closed Thread