Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 03:38 PM
Kobold

Default Impactful/Useful Bard Gear in 40’s

Looking for some advice!
My main is a 44 Bard, and I’ve been splitting my playtime between dungeon grouping, and outdoor charming (Hill Giants lately). Not focused on swarming.

Current gear is pretty standard for a newer player: self-quested Lambent armor, 5/55 rings, and odds and ends that give me magic resist (Runed Bone Fork, Bloodstained Mantle, etc). Have my MM drums and lute.

I know bards can level naked, and instruments will likely be my biggest source of power increase. So I’m looking for people’s experience with their most useful purchases on their bards.

I have around 12K pp saved up. What items will be most useful? Would saving for Selo’s Drums serve me best? Maybe picking up a few pieces of Singing Steel? Walrus Drum and put the rest towards that pipe dream Epic?

So bards, what was your most impactful item upgrades, clickies, or tools that you’ve been very satisfied with?
Old 03-20-2019, 03:47 PM
Planar Protector

Don’t blow your load on selos. Walrus is where it’s at.

With 12k I’d get walrus, mystic koada, ss helm/gaunt/boots/bracer, and prob a BoH/or that new one from Chardok and guardians mace and some cheap worn haste.

Use the wiki gearing section on bard page, Focus on hp & dex(missed notes suck)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:48 PM
Fire Giant

Jboots- don't laugh. You can't selos indoors and it's so useful to click before zoning into a dungeon.

Singing steel helm - the free eyeball is very useful for pulling or later, hammering off of

Walrus drum is fine, you can resell it when you have enough for selos drum
Old 03-20-2019, 03:50 PM
Planar Protector

Good call. Jboots also great for charm killing outdoors no selos necessary.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Jboots- don't laugh. You can't selos indoors and it's so useful to click before zoning into a dungeon.

Singing steel helm - the free eyeball is very useful for pulling or later, hammering off of

Walrus drum is fine, you can resell it when you have enough for selos drum
Sow pots are faster than jboots and not super crazy to recharge if you get a bag full

Shrink pots - double shrink and you can shadow step through locked doors(who needs a rogue in seb newayz)

Singing steel bracer - clickie DS for ya tanks

All said above is also good SS helm and hammer is super useful
Old 03-20-2019, 07:40 PM
Planar Protector

Oh and lev cloak is a nice QoL as well
Old 03-20-2019, 09:20 PM
Planar Protector

http://wiki.project1999.com/Rare_Coins

Check out this quest for a slightly better drum than MM drum. The quest isn't very difficult and the drum even looks neat in your hand =)
Old 03-21-2019, 02:38 AM
Planar Protector

Singing steel are good clickies for sure. As a Bard you dont really need much. Would save for Epic and velious armor gems.
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 03-21-2019, 07:44 AM
Planar Protector

Nothing will be immediately impactful outside of some instrumnets (drums) if you're just dot kiting.

If you want to prep for later / more group utility, I'd honestly say just get tanking items. Bards can tank group content just fine with some decent gear. They have the best aggro and mobs come into camp pre slowed with aggro. Given how fast mobs die in that lvl range, bard slow works fine as a shaman slow would probably land at ~85% and only stay on the mob for like 1 min before mob dies. You dont even need to attack the mob. Can just hang out a lute with regen on, slow, and DS or something.

(For all the REEEE bards don't mitigate damage as well as pure tanks; true in pure dmg mitigation, but having a mob pre slowed @ 100% and dps able to hit it right away without aggro breaking is better for grouping. A slowed (even only 20%) mob hitting a bard is still dishing out far less dps than a non slowed mob on a war.)

There isn't really a decent lute to be bought at that price. Walrus drums are good, instrument modifier / price is an exponential increase. Barbed dragonscale boots and shoulders will last you till 60 and raid geared. Quest the ice forged shackles.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:39 AM
Planar Protector

SS Helm for eyeball.

Diamond/Blue Diamond resist gear (if you plan to raid one day).

Otherwise, spend it on another character.

You won't see epic without massive MQ plat for the white & red scales or a guild to provide them via kills.

By the time you need a better instrument than MM Lute/Drums, a guild bank should have plenty to provide.

Gear outside of resists aren't worth it if you can't earn them on your own. You could argue Velious quest gear gems, but PoG drops (Melodic) are equivalent to dwarf (Resonant) armor. Don't pay for gems unless you're getting Giant (Troubadour) or Dragon (Twilight) turn ins. You shouldn't be taking hits and bard melee DPS is a joke.

Sionachie's Partisan, Jade Mace, and Crystalline Short Sword will be more than enough for the weapon's department, less than 1.5k total.

If you do want to spend money on yourself, then I recommend prioritizing:
If raiding: resists > HP > armor > CHA
If grouping: HP > resists > CHA > armor
Closed Thread