Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-25-2019, 10:09 AM
Skeleton

Been away from p99 for a few years, so I thought I'd try and get back into it prior to Green launch, but having difficulty getting it to work on my Mac (running Mojave). I was able to download Vile's wrapper and launch p99 and login, but got the spells out of date message. Once I patch the wrapper, it doesn't launch anymore.

I have Titanium as well and tried to go that route with the wineksin wrapper, but it won't launch either (with or without the patch), so it doesn't generate a client log file.

Short of buying an old mac off of kijiji, I'm running out of ideas.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:25 AM
Aviak

Since the latest patches, wineskin doesn't work with Mojave anymore.

I'm using parallels myself now and that works fine for me (parallels 13).
Old 09-25-2019, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

Just want to say that I've been running EQ on my MacBooks no problem using Bootcamp. I know this entire thread is about running EQ in the native OS, but Bootcamp is free, and so is Windows 10 (you don't have to register it to run EQ). I hold Option during boot, select Windows, and I have a full Win10 machine right there.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:56 PM
Orc

I'm so bummed I can't play anymore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-25-2019, 04:54 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just want to say that I've been running EQ on my MacBooks no problem using Bootcamp. I know this entire thread is about running EQ in the native OS, but Bootcamp is free, and so is Windows 10 (you don't have to register it to run EQ). I hold Option during boot, select Windows, and I have a full Win10 machine right there.
Yes this is the best way to do it. I played a few months as a newbie on mac with wineskin but didn't realise my gamma was fucked. Although I did experience the game in original dark mode when it was night [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I did not do Bootcamp, but just got my old windows laptop from 2012 going again with windows 10. Game is old so literally anything with windows can run it.

-Blue-
Atychi - 23 Necromancer
Atych - 27 Druid
Old 09-25-2019, 10:17 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
True the biggest downside being of course that you have to restart every time you want to play EQ. Especially for us actually working in MACOS it is more than just an inconvenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm so bummed I can't play anymore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did you try bootcamp or parallels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atychiphobia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes this is the best way to do it. I played a few months as a newbie on mac with wineskin but didn't realise my gamma was fucked. Although I did experience the game in original dark mode when it was night [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I did not do Bootcamp, but just got my old windows laptop from 2012 going again with windows 10. Game is old so literally anything with windows can run it.
Strange I was able to change the gamma in wineskin before. Actually now that I'm running in windows I can't seem to change the gamma anymore, the only thing that works is just increasing the brightness of my screen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

The good thing about the game being so old is that it runs fine in a virtual machine, while gaming performance usually sucks in parallels.

Anyways if you want the best experience (or have an extremely old mac): bootcamp

If you still want to run EQ within MACOS try parallels.

And yes windows 10 you can download the ISO from the microsoft website, but technically you still have to activate it (and some functions will not be available till you do).
Old 09-26-2019, 10:02 AM
Aviak

Regarding gamma...

right click on your shortcut, go to Show Package Contents, double click on the Wineskin file. The Wineskin window opens up. Click on Set Screen Options. Here you can set the gamma if the game is opening up too dark for you.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:45 PM
Aviak

Hey fellas, I'm in a pickle and maybe someone has had a similar problem! The new patch broke Vile's lovely wineskin wrapper for my 2012 Mojave, and I can't seem to fiddle it into working (won't launch with winestable). So I got bootcamp working with Windows 10, did a meticulous install, I can log in and go to character select, but all the models are missing and it looks like the textures are all grey smears... I can go ingame, I see mobs names but everything else is invisible/textureless. Other servers on eqemu I can see new models for armor, but no faces/heads. Tried a complete uninstall, even more meticulous reinstall and patch, no dice. Any ideas? Thanks for the help-
Old 09-29-2019, 07:59 PM
Aviak

Hey everyone - I'm using Vile's wineskin wrapper too. I can get up to the character select page, but it says my spells are out of date (even though I'm updated everything from the most recent V50 file folder.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-29-2019, 10:56 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey fellas, I'm in a pickle and maybe someone has had a similar problem! The new patch broke Vile's lovely wineskin wrapper for my 2012 Mojave, and I can't seem to fiddle it into working (won't launch with winestable). So I got bootcamp working with Windows 10, did a meticulous install, I can log in and go to character select, but all the models are missing and it looks like the textures are all grey smears... I can go ingame, I see mobs names but everything else is invisible/textureless. Other servers on eqemu I can see new models for armor, but no faces/heads. Tried a complete uninstall, even more meticulous reinstall and patch, no dice. Any ideas? Thanks for the help-
Just copy the everquest folder from the wineskin wrapper that was working before.
Easier than troubleshooting why your fresh install isn't working [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].