Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 12:30 PM
Large Rat

This will not be popular here but some of the most fun I've had is with a Ranger, Bard, Shaman combo.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This will not be popular here but some of the most fun I've had is with a Ranger, Bard, Shaman combo.
In any zone where mobs can DT, that would be a very good combo indeed.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:00 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In any zone where mobs can DT, that would be a very good combo indeed.
Ranger: Tanks. No issue with aggro gen unlike Warrior. Does more DPS than SK or Paladin. Anything can tank with a Shaman slowing. Pulls outdoor zones. Can help root CC a big pull.

Bard: Constant mana/hp regen for shaman and ranger, zero downtime. Pulls indoors. Resists as needed. Mez for CC or Charms as needed - and not nearly as squishy as an enchanter.

Shaman: Slows and Heals - but given all the mana flow from bard hp/magic regen + canni, will have mana left to maintain doggy, hastes all around, and dots too. Can help root CC.

Sounds like a fun group. Great for a dungeon crawl. It's a cool way of playing a traditional group. Can also fear kite when needed (since Ranger can snare and Bard can perma fear), especially useful on pesky casters.

Could this group be improved by swapping an Enchanter in for the Bard? Sure, if he charms full time and never dies.

Could this group be improved by swapping in an Enchanter for Bard, and a Cleric for Shaman? Maybe, but then Enchanter has to cover slows, haste, and charm dps. Ranger serves no real purpose, duoing with cleric makes more sense.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:32 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaki [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The golden trio has always been warrior, cleric, enchanter. If you don't suck. Pick whatever if you do.
(1) No snare
(2) No snap aggro
(3) Complete overreliance on enchanter. Has to pull, slow, haste, mez, charm, and CC.

Depends on your aims too. This is a terrible leveling trio. At the very least you need to swap the warrior for something with either pulling ability (Monk) or snap aggro (SK/Paladin).

If your goal is to get to 60 and tank nameds that only a defensive warrior can handle...then that's a different story. But even then, a Torp shaman might be a better choice than a Cleric, for Tash + Malo.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:36 PM
Large Bat

Holy Crow! Thanks for all the excellent feedback and suggestions everyone.

I'm pretty sure I'm going; Monk , Warrior , Shaman

I'll play SHM, have my Dad on the WAR , and get my cousin to play a MNK, hopefully.

This is my reasoning, and maybe it's not totally correct. Monk pulling gets progressively more difficult, especially on monsters after level 35. For a new player that wants something easy to start with (duel wield, melee) a monk seems perfect. So I think it's a good fit for my cousin. By the time we reach that level, hopefully there is enough skill to help tag the monks pull, and manage the agro better if we get more. I know the canni-dance, buff timing, regen, haste, slow, root parking, never ending button clicking of the Shaman. My dad can play the Warrior, just make an assist button for Monk, and get in melee range of target.

I feel like using a PAL, SHD, in the WAR spot wouldn't be as good, and I wouldn't want to sacrifice the DPS. The below 40% berserk frenzy on WAR, plus their critical strikes, they do a good bit of damage. Plus they have the added benefit of all that HP/AC. If I put a ROG in the WAR position. Sure, we could drop things faster, but in those "5 MOBs on us" situations (that will happen) it will give me more time to root park, and manage the over-pull. I feel like the ROG(played by my dad) would get killed in those hectic situations.

I'm just wondering if the Monk is always going to grab agro? Will Taunt for the WAR be enough? Will the MNK have to FD all the time, if I want the WAR to Tank? I'm fine with the Monk holding agro, I know they can tank with the SHM slows. I'd just like to utilize that WAR Mass of HP with some ease. Let my Regen do its work, not having the Tank sitting with 100% HP all the time. Also not taking my MNK out of the fight every 3rd attack round because they get agro and need FD.

Sorry for long post. Thanks again for Feedback and any suggestions.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueborn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Holy Crow! Thanks for all the excellent feedback and suggestions everyone.

I'm pretty sure I'm going; Monk , Warrior , Shaman

I'll play SHM, have my Dad on the WAR , and get my cousin to play a MNK, hopefully.

This is my reasoning, and maybe it's not totally correct. Monk pulling gets progressively more difficult, especially on monsters after level 35. For a new player that wants something easy to start with (duel wield, melee) a monk seems perfect.

My dad can play the Warrior, just make an assist button for Monk, and get in melee range of target.

The below 40% berserk frenzy on WAR, plus their critical strikes, they do a good bit of damage.

I'm just wondering if the Monk is always going to grab agro? Will Taunt for the WAR be enough? Will the MNK have to FD all the time, if I want the WAR to Tank? I'm fine with the Monk holding agro, I know they can tank with the SHM slows. I'd just like to utilize that WAR Mass of HP with some ease. Let my Regen do its work, not having the Tank sitting with 100% HP all the time. Also not taking my MNK out of the fight every 3rd attack round because they get agro and need FD.

Sorry for long post. Thanks again for Feedback and any suggestions.
One of the worst parts about growing up on a monk is having restrictive weight tolerances and the steep learning curve with no healer to back you up.
-Being in a 3man static scenario he's going to have no problem (not dying as often) learning how and how not to pull.
-Having trustworthy groupmates lets the monk leave looting to others, so he doesn't sacrifice his AC and take more damage

A hasted dex'd zerking warrior does decent DPS, and it's pretty safe to do so all the time with slowed mobs as long as they're not casters.

The monk may pull aggro, but really in this trio you can use it to your advantage by letting you spread the damage around and utilize regen/chloro/regrow a bit more. All the monk has to do is FD and drop back to the bottom of the aggro table again, or you can root and the closest person takes the aggro.

With two pure melees (monk/war) you have two classes that can bind wound very well, and up to 70% once you get to 201+ BW, which can really cut down any downtime you might have.

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:53 PM
Planar Protector

If you're going to go Monk, War, Shm why not just go Monk/Monk/Shm? The Warrior really adds nothing to the trio that the Monk couldn't do better. Warrior HP advantage isn't a factor with a Shaman healing. Mend, FD and superior Monk avoidance and DPS will be much more advantageous. FD alone will likely save your dad a lot of frustration.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:47 AM
Fire Giant

I will go with Yoink and say Mage, Mage, Mage. Especially for newcomers this group is ideal. The class is very easy to learn yet very powerfull. Things that a single mage can not achieve can be simple for 3 mages since when a pet dies... no big deal, still 2 going giving the third enough time to get a new one up. Such a group will plow through most content and the learning curve is pretty flat. You just have to switch tactics in the thirties to chain summoning instead of pet healing, which again is way easier with more than one mage around.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:02 AM
Fire Giant

Shm/War/Mnk will be a fine trio for your group.

Some things to consider....a rogue would die less in those "5 pull scenarios" because all you have to do is tell your dad to stay hidden until it's under control. Even if you 2 wiped, he would be fine. Also, the best way to root CC those bad pulls is to have the puller run/walk backwards (depending on scenario and location) and let you root them in a spaced out manner. Then you can slow the last one and malo+slow+re-root the adds as you get to them.

As for aggro....usually you'll want to slow early, which will mean the shaman will be tanking for a bit, or you'll have to root everything first. I usually tanked most mobs while levelling, and if we had a particularly hard/resistant mob (like golems in the Hole, for example) I would root them first, then slow+malo and then tell the melee to engage.
Beyond that, it will depend on who has the better weapons, or who lands what procs, to determine who has aggro. Taunt is ok, but it's not an automatic thing.

As for the Shm/Monkx2 suggestion, that would work....however, you'd have to have the shaman loot everything, and then later on if you wanted to take out bigger targets, it's really nice to have a warrior. On top of that, you have no competition for gear with 1 leather, 1 chain, and 1 plate class...whereas on the 2 monk trio you'd have heavy competition with the 2 monks.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:54 AM
Aviak

Also with that Trio you can just play 3 Iksar and start in the same zone. Full group regen is great, and Kunark is a great place to level.
Closed Thread