Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 08:27 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As a matter of fact I have. Both of these servers. Both times was a blast. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Then I'm not sure what you're on about, man. I said it would be fun. But having played in several of the recent(ish) TLP servers, which had populations much closer to the expected one for Green than Blue did at launch, finding anything to kill can be a massive problem. Too many people, not enough mobs, and not enough areas for even a thousand players from 1 - 20. We could see several times more people than that.

I can't wait to play Green. But the person who was asking the original question deserves an honest answer about what the server will look like at first, given their concerns.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:30 PM
Planar Protector

Amazing how time after time of what the staff does with volunteering time with nothing in return you nerds find something to bitch and cry about.

Thank you staff for what you do.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:32 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Very boring server then and not classic. Camps were decided by DPS the first year of Everquest, not lists.
I'm pretty sure what wasn't classic was 2000 people vying to obtain 2 items from a game they didn't even know existed yet. Let alone a version of it that would be non-profit managed by a team of volunteers without the overhead to deal with 2000 petitions.

Lists are way for the devs to passively manage what would otherwise be a disaster, not to make you feel better about your stupid idea of the world.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:57 PM
Aviak

Nice job guys, looking forward to playing on green!
Old 09-13-2019, 09:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faiding [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm pretty sure what wasn't classic was 2000 people vying to obtain 2 items from a game they didn't even know existed yet.
That's going to exist regardless, unless the game code is changed, in such a way as to create a game that's trying to be "what Everquest was originally envisioned as", instead of just copying a 20+ year old code that wasn't sophisticated enough to properly express the intention of the game designers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faiding [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lists are way for the devs to passively manage what would otherwise be a disaster
No it isn't. If the rule was DPS wins and "kill stealing doesn't exist", then it would already be managed exactly by that. People who want to compete for something can do it, exactly as it was in classic. People who find that method unsatisfying can choose to do nice camps only and exclude the players from their groups who are "kill stealers".
Old 09-13-2019, 09:08 PM
Kobold

I've since returned to live EQ, but wanted to pop in and congratulate the staff here. I started on P99 shortly after it opened and spent many wonderful years here before I decided to move on. The team that is behind this project truly is top notch. I'm happy that this day will finally come [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-13-2019, 09:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Development will not stop for Green and Blue.
LOL!!! Good thing it's another PVE server...exactly...like...blue. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Any official thoughts on the other server? You know, the red-headed stepchild that you all are ashamed of.
Last edited by Old_PVP; 09-13-2019 at 09:38 PM..
Old 09-13-2019, 09:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean, it's kind of up in the air how many people will play green. I don't think we'll get as many as live had (3000) but it's probably going to be more than p99 had at inception (a couple hundred?) On live it was pretty common for people to sit and camp a single spawn for xp in dungeons, even in groups! I don't foresee people having that patience here. Maybe crowded newbie yards at launch weekend? After that just standard overcrowding at popular spots.
There were not 3000 people per server at launch (or shortly after) in general. Not on most servers at least, from what I have read and my experience on Fenin Ro. I mean, not that many people were into that stuff yet. And more importantly, not everyone who would had up to date computers, or computers at all. And they kept adding servers as needed. I started watching a college roommate play about a month after launch. Then was playing 2 months later, after playing his paladin quite a bit.

I spent a lot of time not leaving Faydark early on, but went on adventures here and there. Playing during prime time, there were maybe 15-25 people working Crushbone. Greater Faydark had a good number of folks but it wasn't like EC or anything. I had Dagnor's Cauldron to myself mostly! Haha. The rest of the world didn't seem horribly overcrowded. And I popped on other servers just to check it out and I never saw some crazy over crowded thing. They made enough servers to keep things enjoyable.

Maybe that 3000 number is the total daily players? Or at the end of Velious or something. But I doubt that either. They didn't divulge numbers then and there was no /who all count. But 3000 was certainly nothing normal. And there are many many servers.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:22 PM
Banned

There will be over 2000 players at launch. If you don't believe this. You're in denial.
Regular Blue Players
Old Players Returning
Tourists

Won't be shocked in day 1 hits 3k. Velious launch it self was 2k+ Now we're talking a whole new fresh server.
None of which will be above level 1 at launch, expect 400-600+ people in certain noob zones.

It's going to be spicy.
No leashing in classic. CHOO CHOO all aboard the petition express
Old 09-13-2019, 09:23 PM
Sarnak

Also, since we are adding servers and are concerned about cost, why allow boxing across blue/green? Why allow that? Keep the cost down and make people decide what they are going to play. Please. If after, a server is dying, then allow it. (Like red) Only 1 server.
Closed Thread