Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 03:08 PM
Planar Protector

It's too bad he doesn't take stands like this against all of the things that are too powerful and game breaking like Soulfires, recharging clickies and MQs.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:23 PM
Planar Protector

As with many things this bug post stemmed from how I know with 100% certainty it worked on Al'Kabor. Which, up until it's shut down in 2013, had the most classic code base available on an official SOE/Daybreak server.

I know this because I played Al'Kabor and Project 1999 simultaneously. I spent 600k and a PoWater Ceramic to buy 2 DA Earring on AK so that I could recharge my own DA earring and have an aggro dump method on my Druid (DPSing on a Druid you were generally limited by aggro not mana pool in this era).

Plenty of times on tank swaps, I also played a Cleric box and if you lived through the first round and got off a DA you could always click it off and have no issues with aggro (unless your HP was under the low HP threshold).

I also boxed a Bard on raids many times, it was a common tactics for bards in wizard groups to announce their DA song going out to drop aggro on all the wizards to allow them to continue burning without having to twist multiple concussions in the mix.

----

Which brings us to P99. Whenever I know something worked on AK, there are three possibilities:
  • This is classic.
  • This was changed from Velious-PoP (late 2001-late 2002). (Aka not P99 classic)
  • It was an Al'Kabor aberration that never existed on another server.

So generally to find evidence in era is the goal. I found a fair number of posts in multiple locations (safehouse, eqclerics, some bard forum, dev patchnote quote) which all indicated this was a thing that existed on Live EQ. Most of these quotes were in 2002-2003 though, so not exactly in era. Seeing the Cleric in the Sontalak video purposefully cast DA immediately after landing a group CH and then proceeding to click it off, further made me believe the aggro dump was correct for P99 timeline (2001).

It made rational sense that some people would disagree this is a thing when DA fades and the mob turns to attack the 2% HP cleric. Yes it dumps almost all of your activate hate, but it keeps you on the hatelist. Meaning when DA ends the low HP hate still has the potential to jump you to the top.

It also makes rational sense that the way it was coded after that June 2001 patch note fixing DA tanking was to make sure that you lose all of your hate to prevent tanks from DAing before an AE or DT, then clicking it off after some other useless class eats it allowing them to continue tanking without losing the hate they built up. Though this seems less likely to be intentional design and just bad coding (like Buff stripping on zoning with low HP - A bug report I made several times that eventually got pushed through by Haynar)

It's possible I may have have been misunderstood in the bug post. DA by no means would remove you from the hatelist. Just drop you to the bottom position on the hatelist. If it removed you I would surely see the balance concern. But lowering your position really is a non-factor on this server filled with instant click aggro generation, as far as balance goes.

I was certainly disappointed to see Rogean's decision. It's his box and he can do with it what he wants but I think he is wrong on this one and it is a classic mechanic after the 2001 DA change.

If you're concerned about balance there are much bigger fish to fry on P99. Allowing Clerics, SKs, Necros (lol FD), and Bards to drop their hate list position with DA doesn't even crack the top 10 balance issues with the current P99 raid scene. If you'd like to address these issues feel free to hit me up Nilbog/Rogean. Being someone who has been in the raid scene and knows about game mechanics I have plenty of things you'd like to hear about that go on which don't jive with classic EQ or your vision of the server.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:36 PM
Banned

corrupt server
Old 03-27-2017, 04:38 PM
Sarnak

Too long, noone gives a fuck. Go back to Erudin in TAKP server, Daldaen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
It is not a server that allows you to just show up and press the "free loot" button, and it's not a server that rewards you for simply existing.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:50 PM
Sarnak

People keep saying DA in this thread and my RnF BDA mentions alert batphone is going nuts.

Please use the full name of the spell. Thanks.

Juevento - Druid <Free Agent>
Old 03-27-2017, 04:51 PM
Sarnak

Divine BDA?
Old 03-27-2017, 05:38 PM
Aviak

Works exactly the same on P99 as it did on live, theres no evidence to the contrary.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:40 PM
Aviak

Also buff stripping on zoning with low HP is classic, thats why its there. That would happen all the time on live.
Closed Thread