Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone88 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dabbling in the dark arts and feign death, ftw....

Mage just sounds boring to me.
Depends, if you know how to play your mage then it is quite exciting.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

A well played necro will charm a skeleton for crazy dps, keep 125hp/tick regen up on the MT forever, and CC with Screaming Terror/Paralyzing earth. They will also heal themselves up after charm breaks, regen mana like crazy, and can pull some ninja shit with FD/circlet of shadow (somewhat less when invis pulling gets nerfed, but you can still split most XP camps by casting darkness/FD and snare will prevent your target from resetting).

A well played magician will do 80+ dps forever with a max-level backstabbing water pet (and a tank who is religious about positioning), damage shields, and the Burnt Wood Staff. They will also malo high level mobs to help out with charm/slow and summon a bunch of useful goodies (might as well make that monk bandage during downtime).

I think most Magicians tend to have necro envy (I mean come on, the class doesn't even get root. Hybrids have better CC than mages) and most necros tend to have enchanter envy (no slow/no tash/no stun).
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Last edited by Splorf22; 05-05-2013 at 02:10 PM..
Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Fire Giant

Enchanter envy? Orb of Tishan for tash, stuff dies to fast to worry about slow, and ST is enough to annoy the damn CH golems in the crypt.

Necro envy for Enchanters or Mages lies solely in the fact their planar armor drops, like candy to add insult to injury, in Hateplane. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Most of the people with bad experiences with me hang out in R&F, shocking, looks like I'm doing something right.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 AM
Orc

When I play a necro I've never envied an enchanter. I envy mages their DD since in a fast group necro dots are often poor dps. I've never been able to play a mage past lvl 8 though, due to looking at the spell lists for something to look forward to and not seeing anything useful except more nukes and pets. Necro has far greater utility, which for me is more fun than single-minded blasting.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Sarnak

As a mage, I hated having zero ability to CC. It was tough to solo and break apart any spawn with more than a few baddies, sometimes even two was too many depending on how tough they were. It just makes the class difficult.

Two mages in a duo is a good way to go. Gets around EXP penalty and makes it easier to handle tougher camps.

Overall the necromancer is way more versatile and less gimped by the pet EXP penality.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enslaved [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As a mage, I can actually smash a single target more effectively and for less mana than any other class in the game. I don't envy any other class their time- and mana-costing roots either... I just have to pay about 7pp for highly effective instaroots whenever they're needed, which is nothing. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, cause talking about using burnt wood staff and thousands of pp worth of nets is useful for the OP in his situation [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

OP: mages have great sustained damage in xp groups and they can work very well soloing as well. Necros are a little less damage in groups probably, but in basically every other way they are stronger than a mage; feign, harmshield, lifetaps, mana regen, instant invis, ivu, lulls, snares, roots, mezzes, fears, charm, heals, and more give them sooo much more potential in sooo many more situations than a mage.

I guess you've probably got a character up to like level 10+ already anyways though.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 05-24-2013 at 08:28 AM..
Old 05-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Aviak

Default selfish assholes...and loving it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, cause talking about using burnt wood staff and thousands of pp worth of nets is useful for the OP in his situation [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

OP: mages have great sustained damage in xp groups and they can work very well soloing as well. Necros are a little less damage in groups probably, but in basically every other way they are stronger than a mage; feign, harmshield, lifetaps, mana regen, instant invis, ivu, lulls, snares, roots, mezzes, fears, charm, heals, and more give them sooo much more potential in sooo many more situations than a mage.

I guess you've probably got a character up to like level 10+ already anyways though.
(Why aren't enchanters mentioned here?)

Necros can succor across zones and if we're firepot bound, we feel like wizards/druids. You can even resurrect yourself later with 93% XP returned! We can summon corpses or track corpses and we have insane mana regen so we don't require any other buffs other than our own.

In fact, necros can play entirely alone with almost no interaction - the truest soloer there is. We can just camp what we want for the most part and don't even need to auction! The only time you would have to talk to people is to convince them to sacrifice their inferior souls so you can resurrect yourself later. Nothing selfish here!

We also know how to bone better than anybody. Take that as you will.
Last edited by Valium; 05-24-2013 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: www.engrish.com
Old 05-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Planar Protector

Enchanters are better soloers than necros, and it's not close. Don't believe me? Check Tecmos' WTS list and Teppler's WTS list.
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Old 05-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splorf22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Enchanters are better soloers than necros, and it's not close. Don't believe me? Check Tecmos' WTS list and Teppler's WTS list.
Agreed Loraen.

I followed up my explanation as a "soloer" meaning necros are more of a loner - needing the least communication with anybody else. We do have more overall utility spells than anybody else though not all of them are that useful and they are almost entirely for selfish reasons. If the guy is casual and doesnt have time to auction or interact with others much, necro may favor him. I've known a lot of casuals such as myself that flew under the radar this way.

Plug: Read over Loraen's enchanter guide before you make a decision on necro/mage. They are another great option! (There ya go!).
Last edited by Valium; 05-24-2013 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Enchanters, yes...
Closed Thread