Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrowan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow Aim? What is this 1998?
I use pidgin on my HTC homeboy, so I got the whole deal! Plus we use AIM rooms for ChicagoHC and IndianapolisHC to set up shows and D.I.Y promoting with each others bands.

Very useful, and not as slow as E-mail
Old 10-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacab *****h [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I use pidgin on my HTC homeboy, so I got the whole deal! Plus we use AIM rooms for ChicagoHC and IndianapolisHC to set up shows and D.I.Y promoting with each others bands.

Very useful, and not as slow as E-mail
Good story brah. Oh WTF is a HTC homeboy anyway. That some device you cooked up after you raged and threw your Hero at the wall or something.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Cause clicking one spell icon is considered talent? By that definition me hitting the open E on my bass guitar is musical talent paramount to being the next Mozart, because no one else is currently doing it right now.
It's about knowing when to use these spells. For example since no mobs ever attacked eachother, I'd use corpse locate in empty zones to find and loot player corpses. I found a lot of decent stuff doing this. This is hardly an ingenious idea, but relative to the talent that was mostly present on the server (ie mostly p99 players with no experience doing pvp) it was at least somewhat intelligent.

Consider this: from the beginning people were accusing others who used corpse locate wands of using hacks. This means that the people accusing them didn't know that such a method was available to them, which means that the latter players likely were smarter and more talented than the idiots who don't understand how corpse locate works. I don't think that Holocaust are geniuses, but I think that they were among the most skilled players on the server. Does that say much? No. But at least it says that hacks weren't needed for them to achieve what they did.

Quote:
But Lazor, weren't you the one bragging on the forum about playing virtual sabotage? Didn't you plan to join the Boyz and do an ALT+G and tell others what zone we were in? The fact we had people doing this from day one didn't help either but it's still kind of funny people like you were willing to play 007 just to grief project 1999 players that you don't really like.
Well, I never actually went through with infiltrating the boyz. Mostly because you guys use vent and I hate voice chat. But this was out of revenge for several of your members ganking me at low levels. Not to say that ganking people is necessarily wrong, but that you should expect someone to get back at you if they can.

I'm not sure how this is really relevant, but I will say that I don't necessarily disagree with what you've argued led to the shittiness of the server.

Especially:

Quote:
The problem was is there were several things wrong with the server, and several things wrong with pvp balance in the first place due to the client used.

...people would do nothing more than ... [roll] mages/druids out by the truckload, there was no balance, there was no skill it was simply gangs of casters using cheating programs to blow up people half their level in 5v1 skirmishes in the warrens.

The server was fun, but it was pretty obvious it was a rat race to 60 as the main focal point of the server was grief which it exemplified pretty poorly as battles played out as predator v. prey instead of engagements or zone contestation, and since the mobs were all dumbed down to indifferently the risk of going to a dangerous zone was moot point so there was no mob based defense or offense on that account.
I can't comment on what effect cheating programs had (plus I think it's ironic that you mention it since you frequently admit to using those programs, and additionally the only people I've ever personally seen using them were from your guild!) but I think the rest of the stuff you said was pretty spot on.

Personally (and at this point people can stop reading because this is just what I would have preferred and not a serious suggestion), I think that faction should have mattered (so that you could train people, run to guards, etc.) and that the main cities should have been Paineel and Erudin, with people choosing which one they started in (maybe with some good team/evil team thing going on). I think this because I think /who all zone should have been off from the beginning which would have required a smaller world, so restricting everything to Odus would have been best. Releasing it in its alpha stages with barely any fixes done would have been okay but recognize that eq is already a kind of frustrating game, so when you expose people to a shitty experience with an eq server for a while they just completely lose interest in it like I did. At this point even if a whole bunch of things were fixed I doubt I'd go back.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 10-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I can't comment on what effect cheating programs had (plus I think it's ironic that you mention it since you frequently admit to using those programs, and additionally the only people I've ever personally seen using them were from your guild!) but I think the rest of the stuff you said was pretty spot on.
I admit to using MySEQ which I use for two things:

1.) My play time is mostly used for farming on Mortalquest, so I use the program to quickly farm pegasus cloaks, jboots, and other triggered spawns, it maximizes my output and I don't have to spend a great deal of time in a zone and risk being jumped at 10% mana as I'm kiting quill.

2.) Since I was farming, I was very vulnerable to ganking so the program was useful because it allowed me to detect other cheaters. For example, a level 45 shaman zones into Chardok, and makes a B-line to my location, which allows me to assume he's using the same program to hunt me down since chardok isn't a small zone with common camps he probably wouldn't know where I was by doing a /who.

I mean I don't have any proof that other people cheated aside from my own statement, but if I had fraps recording my SEQ screen, I could show you several players not in my guild making moves towards players without ever having a tracker or using any spells.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Fire Giant

Generally everquest doesn't really require any skill both on p99 and this server. Its a social game, its not like a FPS. What people are mistaking for skill is leveling first and figuring out what to exploit on the server, because there were alot of unbalanced things that you could exploit like the mage epic.

I guess, though, you could say it took some skill to use showeq or macroquest cause I tried installing showeq so I wouldn't get ganked but I couldn't figure out how to get it to run and i'd imagine macroquest is even harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Hahaha, that is awesome. Right up there with...that one guy's....boat service before the boats worked.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:23 AM
Fire Giant

It was fun while it lasted, for me. But the PvP mechanics on the server are beyond botched. As a wizard using Okiel's Levity (Levitate & DS), I got raped by a necro pet. That's it. Just a pet. For some reason, damage shields break root in PvP (wtf?), and that in addition to channeling of spells being all sorts of whacked out, I couldn't root and get away from one. single. necro. pet. So I raged quit. Not leveling back up to 50. But other than the little broken shit like that, it was pretty fun. Wizard nukes are seriously OP, though.
Closed Thread