Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:20 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Default SMS Account Authentication

I have been considering (and already testing and will probably implement) a method to send text messages from our servers. I am going to start requiring all eqemu forum accounts to be tied to a phone number that will be used as a method to verify authenticity of accounts, as well as provide a method for resetting passwords of loginserver accounts.

The lack of a method of resetting loginserver accounts has been a problem for quite some time, and we have never had a real method to do so that wouldn't put other accounts in danger of being compromised at the same time.

We may also optionally allow the numbers to be used in a securid sort of way, for those that decide to enable it on their account. This would mean that in order to even log into the account on the loginserver and to connect to P99, you would need to enter both your account password as well as the pin number generated on the spot. This is much like the World of Warcraft Authenticator and the key fob that SoE will be coming out with also. This would be purely optional though (however mandatory for any staff gm/guide accounts on P99, and any other servers that request it).

I'm fairly confident that many of you in one way or another have access to a cell phone, even if it's not directly yours. I will also be providing verification via a phone call to US Based numbers, if you do not have access to an SMS capable device. This does however mean that people playing from outside the US will need to have a SMS-Enabled phone, or use a friend's. I have done a lot of testing for non-US numbers and most of them have succeeded using our system.

I am opening this for discussion as I want to hear people's opinions on this and possibly voice any concerns that we have overlooked.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 07-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Planar Protector

This is amazing. Please do this.

Also, WB papi.
Scrawny Gnoll

I think its a great idea! Good work.
Aviak

Great news.

How will it be implemented? Do we just log into our EQEmu account and fill in a new form field with our phone number when it's made available?
Skeleton

Sounds great. Would stop a lot of the "He hacked my account" fights that go on.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Aviak

This is an awesome idea!

Will this also allow causal use? Like, for example, sending a text to someone's account so they can log in to a raid without having to give people your phone number?
Old 07-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Sarnak

Good idea.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Banned

I will not be having a phone anytime soon nore will I be using a friends phone... sorry, but I hope it works out for you, it definitely wont for me. But I'm not even active here hardly.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Fire Giant

All the account sharers will cry.

Good Idea.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We may also optionally allow the numbers to be used in a securid sort of way, for those that decide to enable it on their account. This would mean that in order to even log into the account on the loginserver and to connect to P99, you would need to enter both your account password as well as the pin number generated on the spot. This is much like the World of Warcraft Authenticator and the key fob that SoE will be coming out with also.
So...this would mean getting a text or something every time you chose to log in or am I misunderstanding?

Kolored on Red.

Closed Thread