Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 12-04-2019, 08:52 AM
Large Rat

Default channeling skill is broken

channeling skill on P99 is not working as it did before PoP on live servers. You should not be able to reliably channel through multiple mob hits. EQ developers acknowledged channeling broke with introduction of AAs and attempted to fix it in 2006, but nerf was reverted due to backslash: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/hist...es-2006-1.html

---------------------
- We've reverted the fix to channeling made with the last patch. After much discussion, our general feeling is that channeling has been broken for long enough that players have come to rely on that broken behavior as expected gameplay. For the time being, we've reverted back to that broken behavior and will address spell interrupts in general at a later date.
---------------------

According to Rashere channeling was supposed to cap at 90% chance per hit with AAs (3 ranks), which means it should be lower on P99. He did not say how much each rank of AA adds: https://web.archive.org/web/20061207...sage.id=239994

----------------------
I posted this in another thread, but will mention it here as well.

We fixed a problem with channeling that was causing it to basically be backwards. If you had no AAs, you channeled through damage 100% of the time and as you got AAs, that decreased. It now scales like it should, and like how it worked in the past, where you start out low, channel more often as you gain channeling skill, and your AAs increase that even further. You're going to see more interrupts than before simply because you are no longer channeling 100% of the time (or close to that if you had AAs that were decreasing it). Your chance to channel is still really high at high levels (it caps at 90%), though, assuming you have maxed channeling skill.

One caveat to this...channeling doesn't apply to being bashed, stunned, or moving. Even with a high channeling skill, if you get bashed, stunned, or moved too far, you're going to lose your spell. That hasn't changed.

Rashere
----------------------

Lower level spells are supposed to be easier to channel through hits (still can't be higher than cap). I am not sure if there is mechanics like this on P99 since I seem to channel through 100% of hits regardless of spell level and any bonus would be lost:
----------------------
Level of the NPC plays no factor in the channeling equations themselves. Higher level NPCs will generally hit you more often, though.

The level of the spell, though, does matter. Casting lower level spells than yourself gives you a bonus to channeling chance.

Rashere
----------------------
Old 12-04-2019, 09:22 AM
Planar Protector

One of those little things that seem small but have a big impact on the game and over-advantage casters. Nice one.

I'll see if I can help you out once I'm done digging on ZEM stuff.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:12 PM
Planar Protector

I really hope this happens since this was brought up the the nerf enchanters thread. I’d lol if all the other casters demanding enchanters be nerfed ended up having their own classes seriously nerfed in this manner as a result lol
Old 12-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Fire Giant

So your Saying all those Stunned but still regained concentration and gated or CHed should not be able to do that? thank god a nerf that actually helps players
Old 12-10-2019, 03:08 AM
Planar Protector

No, this concerns PC chances to channel spells.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:41 AM
Banned

Thumbs up Yes yes yes

Awesome find and thing to bring up. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I have DEFINITELY noticed way higher successful casts through being attacked AKA FAR fewer spell interruptions here on my caster than I remember on live (especially at low levels, teens, 20s, & 30s.)
Old 12-10-2019, 11:02 AM
Planar Protector

Please please please implement this change staff. I really want to see the looks of horror on all the peoples' faces from the nerf Enchanters thread when they realize that their complaints caused people to realize that the biggest issue with why Charm killing is significantly easier on P99 was that channeling was broken and all their casters are now nerfed too.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Please please please implement this change staff. I really want to see the looks of horror on all the peoples' faces from the nerf Enchanters thread when they realize that their complaints caused people to realize that the biggest issue with why Charm killing is significantly easier on P99 was that channeling was broken and all their casters are now nerfed too.
Shit. Even FSI won't seem so great when plain old hits start interrupting spells more than once in a blue moon!

Bring on teh classic!
Old 12-11-2019, 08:30 AM
Planar Protector

It looks like TAKP recently did some work on this. I see a post from Torven about it back in July:

Quote:
PC spell interrupt logic was rewritten to match a decompile taken from the client. That doesn't mean errors aren't possible, but it does mean that it's likely correct.

Keep in mind that it does these two things:

Every hit on you while casting a spell each has its own interrupt roll, so if you're casting a spell that's easy to interrupt, it's not likely to succeed if you're hit a lot.

Spells that are six or more levels under your current level get a significant channeling bonus. This bonus grows the older the spell is.
https://www.takproject.net/forums/in...38/#post-80157

With any luck it's on Haynar's list of things to bring over here, if it isn't already?

(Then again, per the parent post, it might implement the broken channeling behaviour...)
Last edited by Dolalin; 12-11-2019 at 08:34 AM..
Old 10-01-2020, 08:15 PM
Fire Giant

Bump. Please fix to balance OP classes like Enchanter and bring back the classic experience for all casters.