Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Large Rat

Question Rogue...or? Am I just being a masochist?

Hi all -- recently returned to playing, haven't played since classic, really.

I used to play a bard but have always loved playing thief-like characters (never played a rogue in classic). I've read that rogues are difficult to solo past 10 but wondered if this was an exaggeration?

I'm a typically casual player so I'm worried I won't have time to find groups to level so I'd like to be at least somewhat self-sufficient! I don't really want to put time into leveling a character that becomes impossible to play at later levels! I was considering a SK as an alternative (may also be painful to solo but at least would be more needed if I needed to find a group)? I'd like to be able to melee and possibly stab things [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Any thoughts would be welcome!!!
Old 06-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Sarnak

Rogues are one of the harder classes to solo on period. Backstab, your major attack is useless unless someone else has the aggro. However it is really hard to beat the numbers that a rogue can put out.

The ability to walk around most zones and just explore has always wanted to make me roll a rogue on this server.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:37 PM
Fire Giant

It will definitely be hard to solo as an ungeared rogue, though not impossible. Once you get intimidate your options open up a bit. You shouldn't have much trouble finding groups though, when you have time. Even a rogue with a fine steel rapier and some cloth armor can add some good dps to a group - at least as much as a mage or wizard. SK would be easier to solo with, but it would still be very slow without gear. I'd say stick with rogue if it sounds fun and find yourself some druid and necro pals to duo with when you can't find a group.

Also, check the guide section of the wiki for info on making easy cash as you level - saving bone chips & spiderling silk can go a long way toward getting some cheap weapon upgrades (which should be your first priority, followed by HP rings).
Maamdak Battlebeard - 48 Dwarf Rogue
Crunkasaurus Rex - 49 Ogre Shaman
Mendak - 51 Halfling Druid (Green)

<Paradox> RIP
Last edited by Shodo; 06-28-2014 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: "fruid" is not a real class. although maybe it should be.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Large Rat

Hmmm...food for thought! I don't particularly mind being a slow soloer, as long as I'm able to actually do it without too much pain. But I love stealth and have always played rogues in other games. Maybe I'll give it shot and see how much I cry after 10.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itching [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Backstab, your major attack is useless unless someone else has the aggro.
Or an npc starts casting.

You can kill casters very well on rogues with a good resist set / twink gear solo.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:42 PM
Sarnak

I don't think he has that gear right now :P
Old 06-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Large Rat

Hah! I sure don't. I'll basically have nothing.. Haven't made it past level 4 on any of the classes I've been trying out. Would a monk be an easier melee class to start out with?
Old 06-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Fire Giant

Definitely. Obviously it's always slower without gear, but I started with a monk on this server and solo'd about 3/4 of 1-37 with little to no trouble (or gear, at first). Around 35-40 soloing will slow down quite a bit without a fungi and/or other twinkage, but it's still very doable - especially for iksars with the extra regen.

I would recommend ignoring the monk weight limit until at least level 20+ if you go this route - I was regularly about 50 or 60 pounds over while leveling and barely noticed a difference until I hit ~25-30. It will be much more beneficial to you to make the extra cash starting out.
Maamdak Battlebeard - 48 Dwarf Rogue
Crunkasaurus Rex - 49 Ogre Shaman
Mendak - 51 Halfling Druid (Green)

<Paradox> RIP
Old 06-28-2014, 10:41 PM
Planar Protector

Rogue is many amaze. Such sneaks.

Definitely a class that will stay strong throughout velious, when you get higher level you can also ruin the market by selling the epic MQ. Pretty cool man.

Skarry 60 Assassin | Kumack 60 Oracle | Gyrgol 60 Oracle | Eregion 54 Illusionist
Old 06-29-2014, 02:15 AM
Sarnak

Don't let these guys fool you. Starting around level 20, dungeons like SolA have mobs that see through sneak/hide. There are still a lot of dungeons were it is useful, but there are quite a few were it is pretty useless.

"Living my life 6 seconds at a time." - Unknown
Closed Thread