Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 02:04 AM
Planar Protector

Default Teal

I’m sure there will be people who disagree with me on this but this announcement could not be more disappointing. The server has been out a week. We’re averaging 2k population and things have just started spreading out. This split seems very preemptive. Honestly, for me one of the big draws of Green was having a large population starting fresh and getting to see everywhere populated with people as opposed to the state of Blue where you could have zones half or completely empty. If we’re splitting Green into 1k per server essentially, this just killed any desire I had to play on Green. With such low population, everyone will now just flock to the standard Blue leveling path of CB, Unrest/Guk, Mistmoore, Guk. Zero motivation to branch out when the population is low enough that you can just go the usual ZEM route.

If a server split was needed eventually, I would’ve been all for it. However, this seems like a bad idea when we’re only a week in.

Ah well, I’m at least happy I got to experience the initial fresh launch. With the split though the actual leveling experience won’t be much different than Blue IMO, it will be the same zones just with less gear, so back to Blue it is
Old 11-02-2019, 02:18 AM
Planar Protector

everyone was going to do that anyway. cry as everyone might about high populations magically forcing people off the beaten path, that was never going to happen, because as we learned in actual vanilla, we can't actually crowd people out towards anywhere except the log off button.

spitballing, vanilla is designed for about 800-1000 concurrent players. that is how much content there is before people have to sit on spawn points. I went to CB to hock daniel goods and every orc was dead. couldn't have been safer in a city. that's stupid. it's much better in aussie and euro hours, because the population is better fitted to the content.

i think a little more is good, but too many makes a not viable game. it's part of why the classic model was abandoned in the first place.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:20 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah maybe, except pre-Kunark classic had around 2k per server on average. Idk maybe I just got lucky but past level 4 I haven’t had any issue finding groups or mobs to kill if I’m soloing. Maybe I just went wandering off the beaten path? Idk
Old 11-02-2019, 02:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah maybe, except pre-Kunark classic had around 2k per server on average. Idk maybe I just got lucky but past level 4 I haven’t had any issue finding groups or mobs to kill if I’m soloing. Maybe I just went wandering off the beaten path? Idk
get this, you did that because you wanted to the whole time, not because you were forced to by high populations crowding you out

i mean i did too because it's cool, i did like five world trips with my daniels on launch weekend alone, but get real here
Old 11-02-2019, 02:26 AM
Sarnak

Expected to see you post this thread. You did not disappoint.
If anyone has any room to grief, its Rogean. Nuff said.

P1999 Custom Desktop Launcher Icons
Old 11-02-2019, 02:31 AM
Planar Protector

Sure maybe that’s part of why I did it, but it’s not the whole reason. Certainly part of it was not wanting to do the same thing over again, but the reason I was able to not do the same thing over again was because of high population. Amd why does high population cause that? It’s causes it because it forces people to think about alternatives. CB gonna be swamped? Okay I guess we better think about other options like BB bandit camps or orc camps in N Ro and S Ro.

When you have about 1k people on the server, all of the stuff people have been raving about this week about how all these random zones and camps have groups in them will go away. With 1k people across the level ranges, it will just become the Blue leveling experience all over again. If you want to go off the beaten path you’ll be forced back into trying to convince people to leave the high ZEM zone and go sit on some random camp in another zone, which as we’ve seen on Blue, most people are not willing to do unless the zone has absolutely too many people.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sure maybe that’s part of why I did it, but it’s not the whole reason. Certainly part of it was not wanting to do the same thing over again, but the reason I was able to not do the same thing over again was because of high population. Amd why does high population cause that? It’s causes it because it forces people to think about alternatives. CB gonna be swamped? Okay I guess we better think about other options like BB bandit camps or orc camps in N Ro and S Ro.

When you have about 1k people on the server, all of the stuff people have been raving about this week about how all these random zones and camps have groups in them will go away. With 1k people across the level ranges, it will just become the Blue leveling experience all over again. If you want to go off the beaten path you’ll be forced back into trying to convince people to leave the high ZEM zone and go sit on some random camp in another zone, which as we’ve seen on Blue, most people are not willing to do unless the zone has absolutely too many people.
again, the very reasonable alternative a new player without the sort of extensive knowledge of the game you and I have historically did and will again come up with is "log off and play another game"

if you want people to explore the game, stop whinging and start leading people on adventures
Old 11-02-2019, 02:52 AM
Planar Protector

Green reached 2600...with lots of overcrowding. If you split that in half, you get two 1300s - but then both gain players because it’s less overcrowded. I’ll bet both Green and Teal break 1500 simultaneously.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:01 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Yup, i think at peak classic / Kunark, the servers had 2.3k people on them on average.

But those peopel were not all crammed into the Qeynos newbie yard and Upper Guk all at the same time.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:01 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Green reached 2600...with lots of overcrowding. If you split that in half, you get two 1300s - but then both gain players because it’s less overcrowded. I’ll bet both Green and Teal break 1500 simultaneously.
Truth. Also, thanks for the link to the Launcher icons, Lonedrahon. They're perfect.
Closed Thread