Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-27-2019, 06:35 AM
Kobold

Default Unable Login Past Character Screen Without VPN

Hello,

I have a strange situation that started happening on Sunday on both my desktop and laptop.

I am able to login to my accounts as per normal in either Blue, Green or Teal but cannot get past the character select screen. If I pick any character in any zone the game freezes and disconnects after about 2-3 minutes (I do not actually get into the game, it freezes at the character select screen). The strange part of this experience is that if I use a VPN I am able to log into the game perfectly fine.

I have not made any changes to the game file in weeks and this happens on both of my computers so I feel it is unlikely that it is due to the game file on my end. I am at the limit of my technical knowledge to troubleshoot this further but given that the VPN works fine I'm not sure if this is something on the p99 side or my ISP?

Thanks for any replies to help on this,
Old 11-27-2019, 06:46 AM
Planar Protector

Some kind of port filtering / firewalling on your router or your ISP?
Old 11-27-2019, 08:36 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some kind of port filtering / firewalling on your router or your ISP?
This sounds about right. If you are able to play the game just fine using a VPN. Then your connection is is having some filtering/firewall issues with the client that is preventing you from connecting properly. It could be the ISP as well but I highly doubt that. Chances are your router or connection is being blocked/filtered.

It's also highly possible that your IP address was blocked/banned for some reason. Renewing your IP address lease may work but I'm not sure.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:38 AM
Planar Protector

It's not a ban. You get a pop up telling you if you have been blocked on purpose.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:37 PM
Kobold

Thanks everyone. I also thought it might have something to do with my router settings. Let me look into it further and see what I can find.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:59 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I experienced the same problem when I came back to p999. I couldn't get past character select. I started using a VPN and now I can connect and play.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:05 AM
Kobold

Thanks is again everyone for all your replies. Eventually it works for me and I can now get past the character select.

I did a factory reset on my modem after playing with a number of settings that didn’t seem to make a difference. I’m not sure exactly what setting was preventing me from playing but it was isolated to my modem.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:13 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercalif [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks is again everyone for all your replies. Eventually it works for me and I can now get past the character select.

I did a factory reset on my modem after playing with a number of settings that didn’t seem to make a difference. I’m not sure exactly what setting was preventing me from playing but it was isolated to my modem.

Yeah it seems that was the cause since you were able to play fine with a VPN. So obviously it was a routing issue between you and the router and the game servers. Glad you were able to fix it.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:59 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

That's so weird because I had the same exact problem that you described.
I could log into the server, and I could get to the character select screen, but no matter which toon I tried to log in with, eq would hang and after a few minutes it would say I was disconnected.
But when I tried to log into that server again, it would say I have an active character already and need to wait. So it was obviously logging the toon in, it just wasnt loading on my pc.
What's funny is this was only happening on P99 servers (I tried blue and green). I could log into the PEQ Creation server and log in my toons with no problems. It was only P99 servers that would hang up on me.

So anyway, after trying numerous things including re-installing EQ and rebooting my computer multiple times, I ended up rebooting my modem and that fixed the problem. I can now log into P99.

I'm curious who your provider is? Im on Comcast/Xfinity. I wonder if it was something on their end causing the problem? I dont know.

Anyway, glad to see you're back on as well.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:19 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovice [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's so weird because I had the same exact problem that you described.
I could log into the server, and I could get to the character select screen, but no matter which toon I tried to log in with, eq would hang and after a few minutes it would say I was disconnected.
But when I tried to log into that server again, it would say I have an active character already and need to wait. So it was obviously logging the toon in, it just wasnt loading on my pc.
What's funny is this was only happening on P99 servers (I tried blue and green). I could log into the PEQ Creation server and log in my toons with no problems. It was only P99 servers that would hang up on me.

So anyway, after trying numerous things including re-installing EQ and rebooting my computer multiple times, I ended up rebooting my modem and that fixed the problem. I can now log into P99.

I'm curious who your provider is? Im on Comcast/Xfinity. I wonder if it was something on their end causing the problem? I dont know.

Anyway, glad to see you're back on as well.
Glad to see that fixed it for you as well! I actually live in Canada and have Rogers as my ISP.