Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 11:00 AM
Planar Protector

Default Multiple camp rules, misconceptions, suggestions

This post is intended to help the reader more fully enjoy P99 for the long term. Some caveats: I'm not a guide/GM/etc, just a person. Additionally, Just because the rules allow for something, that doesn't mean you should do it. It's entirely possible that you are within the narrow lines of the rules, while you could still be considered to be a giant asshat by many people for your actions. it's also possible that if a guide or GM gets called into a situation they might rule something not quite what you believed or hoped to be "correct" as per the rules, because the rules are meant to be a general guide not absolute axioms.

it appears that quite a few people still don't understand some camping rules so I've taken the time to explain them, noting some misconceptions about holding a camp and some suggestions on how to best navigate this sometimes sticky mess of camping rules.

Let's say Bob is holding 3 separate camps. Why is he doing that? no one else was holding them and he could keep the PHs cleared in a reasonable time, hence he holds those camps. We will call the camps A, B,C.

Now Mike shows up and does a CC. Bob is too busy with an intense fight//afk/whatever/doesn't care and doesn't answer. This is meaningless. CC is a courtesy and nothing more, it's like saying "thank you" or "please". It entitles you to nothing, but, that said, you should still employ it because it can save you time and sometimes misunderstandings in complicated camping situations; additionally, it's possible that while the camp holder might not respond to the CC someone else might know who is holding a certain camp.

Mike is very interested in getting camp A. But upon arriving he notices that the PHs have been cleared. At this point he should assume the camp is being held by someone and figure just out who that person is before preceding. Mike CANNOT just take the camp because no one is currently there; no one is required to be there at the current time. Bob's only real responsibility is killing the PHs in a reasonable time frame. Bob is not required to have ESP and know that Mike wants the camp or is contesting it.

What Mike should do at this point is do another OOC such as "is anyone clearing camp A, I don't see anyone here currently but the PHs are all dead". While still not required, It's much more likely that Bob is going to respond to this CC either in ooc or in a /tell, but if neither of those occur Mike would now want to wait at the camp until it starts to respawn because if someone is clearing it they need to be back to clear the PHs in a "reasonable" time frame. Now Mike finally sees Bob is at that camp. Mike has a couple of options:

First mike could contest camp A. This has the benefit of ensuring that as long as mike stays at the camp he will eventually get it. But this has a lot of cons to it. For one, you can't leave a camp you are contesting or you lose the right to contest it. So you are stuck there with nothing to kill waiting for the other guy to leave. Additionally, Bob is most likely going to be annoyed at that choice because he is also now stuck there, which Mike may "pay for" at a later date perhaps at a different camp. Further, Bob may have a list going and given the way the list system works, it's possible mike could end up being out-elf-lawyered via the list where they could continually get to chose who is going to be "next" on list with each new camp holder and the new "next person for camp" will never be Mike.

Another possibility is that even though Mike would prefer camp A, he is Ok with taking camp B instead, and if Bob has made it clear he is establishing his camp at camp A, Mike is in his rights to grab camp B. However, mike no longer has any claim whatsoever to camp A. Camp A = bob, Camp b =mike. With neither camp being contested, neither of them are forced to remain at their respective camps.

And while now camp C is technically not being held as a camp by anyone and by rules is a FTE... most people will allow the previous person who was clearing the camp to continue to do so and i'd urge the reader to do so as well.

A much better long term solution is for Mike to ask Bob if he could be next for the camp and/or add his name to the list if there is one. While this is the most gregarious option, you do also run the risk of the list not working out for numerous reasons. The current list holder could for example lose the camp to someone else, then the list and "whoever is next" is void.

It should be noted that, Bob for his part, will always gets to choose what camp he wants to claim of A, B, or C.

A final note, it's generally best to "when in Rome do as the Romans do" even if its not correct by the letter of the P99 rules. Some camps have player established "understandings" and it's generally frowned on to try to rules lawyer these issues. You might eventually prevail in your elf-lawyering, but it's unlikely to earn you many friends. Pixels today generally aren't worth friends tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:40 AM
Planar Protector

Good post.

In before red player moron peanut gallery.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:15 PM
Banned

I got a question about camp rules (things that happened to me)
-I was on my lowbie druid (about a month ago). I was camping sisters in LFAY. I was there for about 5 min and had cleared the camp about once so far. Good exp good money. Then after a bit, a mage comes in KS everything in the camp. I asked him why did he do that and he said he went to sell and he was in the camp. Problem is his he didn't answer cc. I asked him to stop and leave. He kept going to KS my camp so I just stood there asking why he's doing it again. He eventually he left after a couple of min. Who was right? Was he able to have the camp even after leaving for 5 min?

-Here's another one. I was in Sk killing at gnome spires. I come by to North camp and see someone afk. If i remember correctly it was a ogre or troll. Problem was they had a mage pet who was standing guard. And the user of this mage pet was at mid. Can a person hold 2 camps? They mage at mid had a friend hold the camp by going afk at north making him have two camps. Is he allowed to do this? I confronted them about and after 10 min of not answering me (they were clearly not afk), they finally let me have the camp. Dont know what was up about that >->
Old 09-11-2020, 12:26 PM
Banned

The best solution for this kind of scenario is sunshine in the real world for both parties.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seducio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The best solution for this kind of scenario is sunshine in the real world for both parties.
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 09-11-2020, 02:21 PM
Planar Protector

Good post. I would just add as an FYI for newer players that it doesn't make Mike an asshat if he asks to take one of the camps when Bob is doing all 3. Especially in the pre-Kunark era where content can be a lot more limited, there's nothing wrong with asking to take 1 out of 3 spawns that someone is killing.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:20 PM
Sarnak

Nice post. Would be good to add what is play nice if for example a level 50 is holding a newbie camp like TR or wall in CB and a lowbie exp group shows up.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:28 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

if you dont sit on a camp you can't claim it is yours.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I asked him to stop and leave....he left

I confronted them...let me have the camp
Don't worry about the exact rules, just keep doing what you're doing when you sense someone is trying to screw you. Your instincts in both examples were good, keep rolling.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:49 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

saving this link for the next time I meet someone going on a verbal tirade about how /ooc CC's are legally binding
Closed Thread