Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 06:23 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The most :boggle: classic namechange I saw was on Tunare server, guy had a troll warrior named Scumbag that was deemed offensive. I mean wtf? there are plenty of NPCs who call you a scumsucker when they agro, but naming yourself Scumbag is offensive? I'd guess an easy 20%+ of the names on blue wouldn't have survived the classic name police on live.
Back in the age my paladin original name Was Acheron , i had it from classic up to pop,
one day im about to start tankin CT on potime when a gm pops.

He wanted me to pick a new name because my name was deemed illegal due to some satanic metal band havin it . i told the gm it was a greek river and the reason i picked it up was because when i made it i was watching the movie aliens and the name stuck on my head .

No avail with the gm , he forced name changed me and left, Thus Vonhammer was born . 38 minutes later we took down CT with the first hybrid full tankin a raid boss since chuckles tanked nagafen on solusek ro in the year 2000.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blistig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On top of this, I heard he puts his milk in before his cereal.
I'm totally going to use this
Old 06-23-2020, 11:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've prolly said it before, but the degree in which the GMs focused on names/naming policy highly depended on the specific GM that "ran" each server. For those who might not know, GMs all generally ran one or two servers. Because of this some servers were far more rigorous in the naming guidelines than others. I'd say that p99 is more on the lax side of the spectrum on name enforcement.

As perpetual devil's advocate, though, it bugs me a bit that names are more often changed on the "squeaky wheel "philosophy than an actual user's wrongful derivation from the naming policy. But I'm not losing any sleep over it.
Personally I only really ever enforced name changes if someone had petitioned about it or it was something actually offensive. Otherwise if there was no record of a player complaining about the name I just left it alone; not worth the trouble.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Personally I only really ever enforced name changes if someone had petitioned about it or it was something actually offensive. Otherwise if there was no record of a player complaining about the name I just left it alone; not worth the trouble.
Now that I think about it, especially given what p99 is like, the more I'm inclined to think the differences in enforcement was simply the changing demographics of players coming to EQ. The original people who started early in the game largely planned to either completely RP all the time or at least some of the time. As time went on more people who just wanted to play the game not RP started to fill up the servers.

Not only are RPers more inclined to make RP-oriented names, they are also more likely to call attention to non-RP names, especially stupid ones like "Ilike hairynuts".

I remember this one monk on RZ was named shinshong dendong. i always wondered if people just didn't "get it" .

For those that don't get it it's subtle refrrence to the mocking phrase "ching chong, ding dong."
Old 06-24-2020, 08:03 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not only are RPers more inclined to make RP-oriented names, they are also more likely to call attention to non-RP names, especially stupid ones like "Ilike hairynuts".

I remember this one monk on RZ was named shinshong dendong. i always wondered if people just didn't "get it" .

For those that don't get it it's subtle refrrence to the mocking phrase "ching chong, ding dong."
Ilike Hairynuts was way better than the other one.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:30 PM
Server GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blistig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On top of this, I heard he puts his milk in before his cereal.
Omg total defamation of character, Blistig.

/petition!
Old 06-24-2020, 12:59 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-24-2020, 06:37 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arteker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No avail with the gm , he forced name changed me and left, Thus Vonhammer was born . 38 minutes later we took down CT with the first hybrid full tankin a raid boss since chuckles tanked nagafen on solusek ro in the year 2000.
Uteranla was the only true cleric on Solusek Ro. Aside from Hideki...
Old 06-24-2020, 06:38 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauvian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Uteranla was the only true cleric on Solusek Ro. Aside from Hideki...

And by cleric I mean Paladin.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:05 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauvian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And by cleric I mean Paladin.
dont remember him on magna charta so i win
Closed Thread