Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Orc

Default I'm loving this classic server... but

I'm not trying to state everything as fact, it's my opinion.

but.. the population average is around 350. Maybe due to the PVP server.

On live back in the days, there were enough people playing to make a good economy. You could buy items at a reasonable price because enough loot was around.

If there were 1000's of people on this server, it would work as is.

I admit I'm new to the server, been just over a week now. My voice don't hold any weight..I don't expect it to.

But it must have crossed the minds of the Dev's how the economy is going to work?

There was, what was it.. 365 people ? who had their pp reduced to 0. I agree some punishment was needed. But that's gotta of had a ripple effect on honest people trying to sell/buy, what little loot there is.

But saying that, with an average of 350 online.. 365 cheaters, wtf?

Anyway, I'm thinking what can be done to help the economy. More loot drops in grouping dungeons? more named spawn in dungeons made for grouping in order to distribute loot around, more coin drops off mobs? free food, drink, spells? I'm just clutching at ideas.

I know this is dangerously close to breaking the “classic” feel, but what’s the point if it’s just classic for people who played when the server first started, when there was more playing at that time and are now strong enough to play the “classic” raids. It’s a bit like playing on EQ Live now and starting fresh without any help and just a few people to group with. You just would not progress at any reasonable rate.

I'm sure some people that are raiding now wouldn’t want this, it would bring more people into the raid zone rotations. It's understandable.. it's human nature to protect what one has. Some people might also like having things just as is even if they have no guild, no friends, no groups, no pp.. etc etc. As I said, this is my opinion.

What made me make this post was seeing the clear cut between the haves and have not's on this server. The same people selling the same stuff in EC and a bunch of high lvl's with top gear just afk.

I play on euro time, this might be part of the problem, but only a small part of it.

Dev’s .. thank you for making a great server, I really appreciate you running this server for us, the players. I know this is your private work and you get the right to run it as you feel fit. But if you are true to providing a classic feel.. maybe just think about finding a balance allowing people to progress like it would have been on live 1999 – 2001.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:19 AM
Fire Giant

You're trying to say that there isn't enough loot already on the server. That's just wrong -- there is a ton of loot on the server. The problem is that so much platinum has entered into the economy that it has caused huge inflation in prices.

Taking away platinum from 365 people, in theory, actually reduces the prices on items.

There is nothing really wrong with the prices on Blue99. Fungis are way overpriced, and Iksar BPs IMO. But other than that everything is really reasonably priced.
Kill Mulder, we take the risk of turning one man's quest into a crusade.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Planar Protector

I'm relatively new to p99 and i think the population is fine... maybe a bit overcrowded sometimes... i get ran out of camps sometimes by high levels farming stuff >_<
Old 11-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Aviak

There has been a noticable drop in population the past couple of weeks - probably caused by MW3/Skyrim - Red Server and holidays approaching which is making it hard to sell in EC tunnel and find groups. Hopefully it will pick back up from Jan onwards.

Tim
Old 11-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I play on euro time, this might be part of the problem, but only a small part of it.
During peak hours there are plenty of lowbies playing in the lower lvl zones, plenty of groups to be found, and plenty of loot to be had. There are also plenty of people with alts who take the time to level them up the old fashioned way, as opposed to getting a powerlevel.

That's just my experience at least so far. It also seems much easier to start a group then to wait for one to form.
Last edited by Handull; 11-28-2011 at 08:59 AM..
Old 11-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not trying to state everything as fact, it's my opinion.

but.. the population average is around 350. Maybe due to the PVP server.

On live back in the days, there were enough people playing to make a good economy. You could buy items at a reasonable price because enough loot was around.

If there were 1000's of people on this server, it would work as is.
I remember on live when 4-500 was average, and when 800 on a night was record breaking. (and in the case of Bristlebane was often server breaking [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] )
Old 11-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuark [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're trying to say that there isn't enough loot already on the server. That's just wrong -- there is a ton of loot on the server. The problem is that so much platinum has entered into the economy that it has caused huge inflation in prices.
No doubt there is a lot of loot by now, the server has been around long enough. But I think most of it don't get sold anymore as it is on old unplayed chars. I sent tells to so many people asking if they had any old gear for sale. I was given a +2 INT ring, which I was very happy about, but noone had something they could sell to me. Only what was being pushed out by the same people over and over again in /auc for high prices. But I think you backed me up by saying there is a huge inflation in prices, because these prices can only met by people with enough money for twinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flunklesnarkin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm relatively new to p99 and i think the population is fine... maybe a bit overcrowded sometimes... i get ran out of camps sometimes by high levels farming stuff >_<
High levels farming stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handull [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
During peak hours there are plenty of lowbies playing in the lower lvl zones, plenty of groups to be found, and plenty of loot to be had. There are also plenty of people with alts who take the time to level them up the old fashioned way, as opposed to getting a powerlevel.

That's just my experience at least so far. It also seems much easier to start a group then to wait for one to form.
Oh I didnt say there isnt enough people to group with, i've had a group each day i've played. When I mentioned my playing time being european, it was refering to the status of EC during that time of day.

The last 9 days I played about 12 hours a day. I made some friends and we tend to group together now.

When you say there is plenty of loot to be had, I agree.. But imo the population is too low for it to be had.

---

My main point was about scale/ratio. It was clearly set on live (we all know they tweaked drop rates) that based on the amount of players a certain amount of loot would be distributed in an amount that keeps a good economy. But it's not the same as live, there is nowhere near the same amount of people, but the drop rate is kept the same. How can that work?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fultun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember on live when 4-500 was average, and when 800 on a night was record breaking. (and in the case of Bristlebane was often server breaking [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] )
Don't you remember the days when you could do a / in almost all zones and get a cut off list that was too long? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I can remember Oasis being so full it was like a concert, trying to move past all the people at the docks.

Going in to EC.. lagggggg

Camp check..., ok guys we need to go somewhere else, everything is camped. /tell player can you please tell me when your grp is leaving so mine can move down [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Going into a dungeon and at the zone getting stuck between people mid jump when your trying to get to your grp? heh that was funny[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Do you remember when they use to list the actual amount of people online in the server lists, before they changed it to population low,mid,high? They were packed.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Kobold

Just want to point out before November there were 500+ people on, usually. Also if there are 365+ accounts that were banned probably around 100 people.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Planar Protector

Try to get a bind now. You can wait a very long time.