Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieza_Prexus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your issue is with the variance itself not the extended windows. Extended windows make the variance better at what it was designed to do. They're only an "additional" non-classic solution in that whoever created the variance in the first place didn't think of them at the time.

It's fruitless to argue against extended windows with the idea that the previous variance had an upper limit that allowed everyone to just sit on the spawn when you only had a few hours to go. If you consider sitting on the spawn while counting down to a guaranteed pop a viable and proper situation then you're better off arguing against the variance itself and not the recent modification.

See above. Also, attack the idea not the person, you might get more traction. I know I'm always advocating that TMO steamroll people, but have a little faith that maybe I just think it's a good idea.
Adding more of something that never worked in the hope that it might work doesn't mean that it works.

Additional variance hasn't removed poopsocking or guilds logging out at targets, it's only reduced it and thinned out the top to those who zerg recruit and can spread out the tracking (or "tracking" if you prefer) and can partake in it.

I have zero faith in nilbog and Rogean. They're pushing patches that they don't agree with (more than once? how does this even happen?), repeatedly adding non-classic mechanics that don't work (and haven't for years), and now it's more bandaids.

You guys undoubtedly have the most classic code, but the implementation is completely backasswards and getting more so with each patch.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarzzardorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
working to create encounters that aren't just loot pinatas. extended variance creates situations where guilds are forced to engage with the lowest numbers and most difficult to manage scenario. FTE shouts are another win-win to ensure players are actually experiencing content not just soaking up pixels with near zero effort
You mean just like classic?

Artificial bottlenecks aren't the answer. Adding more nonsensical shit to maintain the same artificial bottlenecks is even stupider.

If you're going to keep going down this route than you need to change that banner at the top left corner. While there are certain tweaks that make sense - boxing, account lockout when switching accounts, etc - you've also been adding stuff that's completely unnecessary and makes the whole experience worse.

I've said this before, but you two really need to reconsider just what the hell you've been doing as of late. To say that there's no thought being put into it is quite an understatement.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Sarnak

Skope "Everquest is hard, and i have to play alot to get gear"

All im really reading.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfelfbard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Skope "Everquest is hard, and i have to play alot to get gear"

All im really reading.
If that's what you get from "Keep it classic, stupid" then I pity you.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Adding more of something that never worked in the hope that it might work doesn't mean that it works.
But it's not "more" of the same. It's a fundamental change to something that wasn't accomplishing its stated goal. Drastic alteration isn't the same as shoehorning in thoughtless additions. This is less a band-aid and more an organ transplant.

There's not been a major sock of any target since the windows went in. While you disagree with the methods of the variance, it is undeniable that the new windows have made the variance better at fulfilling at least one of its intended purposes.

Again, your issue is with the variance itself; the addition of extended windows has no functional impact upon your argument. The variance is either a good thing or it is not. If it's going to exist, it stands to reason that it should good at what it is meant to do. I would think that a poorly functioning variance would be more outrageous than a well-tuned one. Do I dislike the fact that the variance was necessary? Sure, but I dislike the consequence of no variance even more. This server will never have the same environment that live did where mobs stay up for days and weeks at a time, and the devs can recreate that no more than they can recapture the magic of playing the game for the first time in 1999.
Last edited by Frieza_Prexus; 07-07-2013 at 07:57 PM..
Old 07-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You mean just like classic?

Artificial bottlenecks aren't the answer. Adding more nonsensical shit to maintain the same artificial bottlenecks is even stupider.

If you're going to keep going down this route than you need to change that banner at the top left corner. While there are certain tweaks that make sense - boxing, account lockout when switching accounts, etc - you've also been adding stuff that's completely unnecessary and makes the whole experience worse.

I've said this before, but you two really need to reconsider just what the hell you've been doing as of late.
how is it an artificial bottleneck? this is everquest; that means only 1 person gets the dragon each week. gm raid intervention has been solely to make it competitive rather than just a dice roll.

you can't agree with some nonclassic changes and then claim the ones you don't like are ruining the 'classicness' of the server. i don't even know what you want? does divinity want to sock trakanon for 8 hours when he goes late in window? your guild seems to be just fine doing what it's doing.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Sarnak

cant wait for these FTE shouts to be implemented...!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieza_Prexus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Again, your issue is with the variance itself. Do I dislike the fact that the variance was necessary? Sure, but I dislike the consequence of no variance even more.
Rather than spending time to add simulated repops once a week (or two... or once every hour if you watch to catch up with the last 3+ years), FTE is added so there's less GM intervention. Of course, how it's going to do that without a disengage shout is another matter, but hell? Who cares, right? It's been clearly well thought out.

Quote:
This server will never have the same environment that live did where mobs stay up for days and weeks at a time, and the devs can recreate that no more than they can recapture the magic of playing the game for the first time in 1999.
That's not the goal here and likely never has been. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Versus

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Here come the changes...

Kolored on Red.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Rather than spending time to add simulated repops once a week (or two... or once every hour if you watch to catch up with the last 3+ years), FTE is added so there's less GM intervention. Of course, how it's going to do that without a disengage shout is another matter, but hell? Who cares, right? It's been clearly well thought out.
This solution does not preclude any other. No one's denying that other options exist that are far more efficacious in terms of positive contribution, but they're not mutually exclusive. You won't find anyone that thinks repops are a bad idea.

The variance was implemented and later refined. Take issue with the implementation and not the refining process.
Closed Thread