Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Planar Protector

The ZEMs we have are already "not classic" fyi. MM is way higher than on live...I wonder why they did that...maybe to give that level range another viable option to level even though it wasn't completely classic?

Dungeon ZEM should be normalized across the board, forget hotzones, just make all level appropriate content actually worth killing.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:24 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion_Standing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The ZEMs we have are already "not classic" fyi. MM is way higher than on live...I wonder why they did that...maybe to give that level range another viable option to level even though it wasn't completely classic?

Dungeon ZEM should be normalized across the board, forget hotzones, just make all level appropriate content actually worth killing.
This. Normalize it as a whole and then maybe people will spread out
Old 09-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Planar Protector

I wouldn't be so sure about that. There is an enormous discrepancy in difficulty between the normal zones versus underused ones.

Most people are afraid of doing something hard which is the more common barrier to people using those zones.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 09-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captiv8 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
they wouldnt though. People don't goto CT cause the xp sucks. they don't go there cause there are bunch of casters. People don't go to alot of spots for this exact reason because casters are beasts here. Maybe if resist system was like it was on live it wouldnt be that way. Also MM was great Xp on live and always full. I leveled my monk from 18-30 there back in 2000 in a few days.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captiv8 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What Thulack said.

Dalnir, Permafrost, SplitPaw and Cazic Thule aren't left alone cause of ZEMs, they are left because the casters make those zones blow.

What would be REALLY interesting, is a revisioning of ZEMs and class/race penalties based on challenge of zone and power of race/class.

Dalnir, Perma and CT would get huge bumps, easy zones like Unrest/Crushbone/MM would get cut drastically.

Hybrids (except bard) would all warrant their penalty removal. Rogues/Monks/Clerics/Enchanters/Shamans would all warrant bigger penalties. Humans would deserve an EXP bonus, Halflings would have theirs removed, Iksars/Trolls would get a bit larger penalty, Ogres would get a larger penalty.

If all that happens you may see people in all zones and maybe less would go for the power classes and more on the multi-purpose ones.
Last edited by Daldaen; 09-14-2014 at 01:36 PM..
Old 09-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hybrids (except bard) would all warrant their penalty removal. Rogues/Monks/Clerics/Enchanters/Shamans would all warrant bigger penalties.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This is why players don't get to make decisions.

Why do rogues need bigger penalties? Very little solo capability in the classic sense. You wanna penalty the shit out of a new starter's rogue with no epic? lol. Keep on with MQquest Daldaen, I trust the devs to keep it as close to classic as is feasible.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This is why players don't get to make decisions.

Why do rogues need bigger penalties? Very little solo capability in the classic sense. You wanna penalty the shit out of a new starter's rogue with no epic? lol. Keep on with MQquest Daldaen, I trust the devs to keep it as close to classic as is feasible.
you realize he was using it as a silly example of what EQ would turn into with OP suggestions. Dald doesnt want any of those things.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you realize he was using it as a silly example of what EQ would turn into with OP suggestions. Dald doesnt want any of those things.
Unless its the new forum meta to say one thing, mean the opposite and appear serious, he had me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Planar Protector

Was just using examples of the most over-played classes due to their power in group/raid and high-end situations.

Rogue's inability to solo does not detract from the fact that they are the single best DPS class in both a group and raid situation.

They require no mana, they can DPS indefinitely, they have solid aggro avoidance built into evade, etc.

That being said, I don't like non-classic features, nor do most who play here (big part of why I and others don't play on red). So I don't want to see any of those things implemented. Just would be fun to muse what zones merit the highest ZEM based on difficulty and classes/races that merit the highest penalty based on power/desirability at high end grouping/raid levels.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:52 PM
Aviak

re constructing the game for the sake of the 'high end' is to erase the existence of all the people who don't raid and dont like high end repetitiveness

EQs design is obviously deeply flawed. when you say you want to play 'classic' you're saying you want to play a flawed and broken game.

if you try to fix EQ and make it sensible and well-designed you would end up with something that is nowhere close to Classic, because Classic is NOT sensible and well designed

There is an ISSUE: Players don't use many very fun zones such Dalnir, Paw, CT.

But the FAULT does not actually lie with game design. The fault lies with the psychology of the people who play this kind of game. Most people who play EQ have some kind of pathology that makes them exceptionally boring, dull people. Even when they're in a fantasy world of dragons and wizards they want to grind away at a machine in a very repetitive manner in order to "receive" something. They feel they are receiving something.

They're either somehow fooled by a fairly simple illusion, or they enjoy the repetition itself.

I think for some people they really do just believe on an emotional level that pixels are worth accumulating. For others they enjoy the boredom and repetition in the way that autistic kids enjoy rocking back and forth.

Anyway there is nothing that can be done from a game design perspective to make these dullards into adventurers. If you raised Dalnir's ZEM to the point where it was mandatory to camp Dalnir to have a competitive XP rate, these people would find a way to turn Dalnir into a boring campfest grindfest slog anyway. They would either do the content at a level that is high enough to be boring, or insist on groups that are strong enough so the content can be trivial. Anti-caster clickies and classes would become mandatory and the whole thing would be made routine.

Unrest is fun when you crawl it with a level appropriate group. It becomes boring when the whole place is on farm mode by twinks and people buffed with L50+ buffs and so on.

No amount of game design issue will solve the fundamental problem: this game selects for people who are extremely dull and enjoy repetitive simple tasks.

Imagine how great all these players would be on the assembly lines of Henry Ford. They'd be perfect employees and would actually LOVE their job.
Closed Thread