Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 03:13 AM
Banned

Default Any point in playing a mage to level 60 if I'm not going to raid with it?

Thinking of starting a mage but it seems like a lot of their focus items later on

are all blocked by 7 day targets etc

Mages seem fun but I feel like they are too raid-oriented.

Would 50+ fall off if I don't have those elemental staffs?

-water staff from phinny
-air staff from PoS
-Earth staff from hate
-fire staff from hate

Thanks for reading
Old 04-30-2021, 03:14 AM
Planar Protector

Mage is my absolute favorite raw plat farming class.

That's 10 years of P99 experience talking.
Magician Pets are no joke. Epic Mage Pet is OP.

___
not happy with that answer?
Okay bring your pals to you in the zone and jam with them. COTH.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:36 AM
Planar Protector

Mages are extremely useful outside of raids. As Baler said, they are unmatched for raw plat farming (i.e. mowing through giants, guards, mid-level dungeons with your pet and filling up summoned 100% WR bags). They are also very capable XP soloers, and from 50-60 especially are one of the best classes to duo or trio with (throw a Mage in as a third wheel with some of the power duos like Ench/Clr or Shm/Monk and you can absolutely chainsaw through mobs). They are just a very low APM class, and you have to enjoy that playstyle. Some people find it boring, others find it relaxing. It depends what type of player you are. But the class itself is very capable throughout the game. Also, the Phinny water staff is realistically attainable by most Mages even if the Epic is out of reach. And the focused 60 water pet is very, very good DPS.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:15 PM
Sarnak

Also, the Air Staff isn't THAT hard to get. EoV is a pushover and spawns several times a day. And the Air Pet is no slouch post 50.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin76 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, the Air Staff isn't THAT hard to get. EoV is a pushover and spawns several times a day. And the Air Pet is no slouch post 50.
yeah Im just saying

currently I'm using my druid on raids and in the future maybe my shaman or some other

class

kinda want to try out a mage but not raid on it
Old 05-01-2021, 12:05 AM
Planar Protector

I levelled a mage not to raid. A mindless farmer or group/duo dps. It’s simple, you can fill a backpack with malachite for 8p at the vendor, your nukes land hard on blue cons. Your most expensive spell is muzzle of mardu (2000p). Mala is like 200p.

Mala/malaise plus a Midnight Mallet is pretty great when your vendor unfocused 57+ pet is hitting for 70.

I have a 53 necro with a CoS; great class! Not to start a mage vs necro debate but look at the wiki page “pet guide”. Compare EoT to even the unfocused 57 earth pet. If you want overpowered pets look no further than a mage. The epic or the focus staffs are a carrot on a string for sure...but even the meh pets are still crazy.
Last edited by Snaggles; 05-01-2021 at 12:08 AM..
Old 05-02-2021, 09:45 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want overpowered pets look no further than a mage.

Necro makes the pet.

Pet makes the mage.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:56 AM
Sarnak

Forget about the PoH Fire staff, it's completely useless as you will not want to use a fire pet post 50, and DDD is not focused by Staff of Elemental Mastery : Fire

Phinny can be taken down by a couple pet classes + cleric or 3 mages/necros, and he's a 12 hour repop.

Plane of Sky staff is not that hard to get, more so since it is now possible to MQ any PoS quest, and I can guarantee you a focused max level air pet is a stud.

Line forms behind me for the PoH Earth Staff... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Even non focused 57+ (Greater Vocaration: XXX) pets are awesome.
You'll get some nice nukes,
handy utility spells (useful debuffs, Mod Rods, WR bags, CotH of course),
kick ass pets that give you a very steady dps compared to other classes who only rely on their mana pool,
and as some already mentionned second to none green farming ability (think Droga goblins, HGs, spider silk, velium pieces/ blocks, etc.)
Old 05-02-2021, 12:13 PM
Sarnak

Agree with just about everything in this thread....except Muzzle being the most expensive spell. CotH is still over 10k and highly desired by many groups.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agree with just about everything in this thread....except Muzzle being the most expensive spell. CotH is still over 10k and highly desired by many groups.
Yea it’s only 300p on blue. Muzzle is 2k. I guess the OP is on green tho
Closed Thread