Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I tested it recently, it does not grant fsi unfortunately.
Ogre's don't lose FSI while illusioned, thankfully.

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:46 PM
Sarnak

An Enchanter has 3 main resources:
(1) Mana
(2) Cast time
(3) HP

If you don't have enough of any of these 3 to maintain a charmed pet, then you shouldn't charm. In every other situation, you should. Let me explain.

(1) Mana - Charming requires you to maintain enough mana to handle charm breaks. Over time, this averages to a set amount, and you want to keep a buffer. Ofc, an enchanter uses mana for other things. The approximate order of priority is Clarity, Self Buffs, CC, Melee Haste, (sometimes) Slows, then Charm Pet. Without any real strain on the mana pool, an enchanter can take care of Buffs and CC. The question is whether you are slowing or charming a pet, especially pre-TOT.

If you are the only slower, and slows are necessary for the content and group makeup, and after slowing you don't have enough mana to maintain a charmed pet...then don't charm one. If you go OOM after slowing and get a bad pet break or two, you can wipe the group. IF, however, you have a well geared tank and a CH cleric, then you probably don't need to slow all the time or if at all. In which case, don't slow and just keep a pet.

(2) Cast Time - Charming pets takes up time, unexpectedly. If your puller is chain pulling and you have to spam AOE mez...then a bad charm break can wipe you. You also need to manage your pet around the correct target (which is just a /pet assist macro), but mistargeting and letting two mobs go can be a real issues, especially if you miss the next mez. The BEST enchanters can do both no problem, as long as they don't run into mana issues (see 1). But not all enchanters are the best. If an enchanter says he's not comfortable with a pet while intense CC is going on...I get it.

(3) HP - Maybe you are out of Runes, or can't keep up Runes with your mana usage (again, violating 1). Maybe you have a single cleric healing, who is mana strained and can't interrupt CHs fast enough to keep you alive. Maybe AOE packs are in such close quarters that you can't recharm bc your AE stun generates too much aggro on you. Basically...if you die, you can't CC anything. So if you are unable to charm because your group cannot keep you alive, then don't charm a pet.

NOW- there are miscellanous supplementary reasons why you don't want to charm. But these are things like not enough mobs, no mobs that are low enough, a need to ninja-afk. The first two are particular circumstances to an Enchanter being in certain camps (like MM Pond) or being underleveled for content (I know once I was brought to LGUK Ass/Sup to basiclally jsut be a buff-bot bc I was underleveled). But these are special circumstances. If you need to ninja-afk and are worried about charm breaks...then I hope you're not the main CC as well.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:07 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Especially since the monk change ... if you're not using a class that can lull splitting mobs takes an absurd amount of time and/or using 2 to peel mobs during feign. Monk is then flopped for the duration of aggro reset and not doing dps.

If you have enchanter (or bard or whatever) CC - use it and pull heartily.
completely forgot about the monk changes, recently started playing again after a 4 month break from the game. splitting in an EXP group seems pretty pointless now unless you're doing something like spore king. I also forgot AE mez existed, I'm rusty at this game =/

pulling 4 mobs at a time definitely seems more efficient then, as long as the enchanter is on top of mezzes or you have a bard or something pulling/to back you up.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this post just make the server community looks retarded.
fixed your post for you
Old 04-24-2017, 02:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowako [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
completely forgot about the monk changes, recently started playing again after a 4 month break from the game. splitting in an EXP group seems pretty pointless now unless you're doing something like spore king. I also forgot AE mez existed, I'm rusty at this game =/

pulling 4 mobs at a time definitely seems more efficient then, as long as the enchanter is on top of mezzes or you have a bard or something pulling/to back you up.
Indeed. Doing something as simple as hands/WL in Karnors Castle is a pain. Unless you've got a group capable of handling the CC from all 4 dogs at once ... or willing to have 2 people reliably and competently work together on tagging at the precisely correct moment necessary without bringing all 4 back ...

It's better to have a ranger/druid/bard/paladin (lull) ... or hell the f'n tank without lull (warrior/sk) pull that camp. The monk days of being the supreme puller class are over. Bards take the cake indoors most of the time. Unresistable ranger harmony makes them extremely capable in outdoor zones.

Monk FD still helps you drop unwanted extra aggro ... so they've still got THAT over making the tank pull. They have their niche and certainly strut their stuff in harder indoor camps like seb king (and occasionally CE seb) or splitting PoZs in kael arena. But monk pulling these days in all other aspects really are no better or worse than any other class pulling.

If you've got a ranger or extra warrior/knight - it's honestly better to let them chain pull most of the time so the monk can optimize dps.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 04-24-2017, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
An Enchanter has 3 main resources:
(1) Mana
(2) Cast time
(3) HP

If you don't have enough of any of these 3 to maintain a charmed pet, then you shouldn't charm. In every other situation, you should. Let me explain.

(1) Mana - Charming requires you to maintain enough mana to handle charm breaks. Over time, this averages to a set amount, and you want to keep a buffer. Ofc, an enchanter uses mana for other things. The approximate order of priority is Clarity, Self Buffs, CC, Melee Haste, (sometimes) Slows, then Charm Pet. Without any real strain on the mana pool, an enchanter can take care of Buffs and CC. The question is whether you are slowing or charming a pet, especially pre-TOT.

If you are the only slower, and slows are necessary for the content and group makeup, and after slowing you don't have enough mana to maintain a charmed pet...then don't charm one. If you go OOM after slowing and get a bad pet break or two, you can wipe the group. IF, however, you have a well geared tank and a CH cleric, then you probably don't need to slow all the time or if at all. In which case, don't slow and just keep a pet.

(2) Cast Time - Charming pets takes up time, unexpectedly. If your puller is chain pulling and you have to spam AOE mez...then a bad charm break can wipe you. You also need to manage your pet around the correct target (which is just a /pet assist macro), but mistargeting and letting two mobs go can be a real issues, especially if you miss the next mez. The BEST enchanters can do both no problem, as long as they don't run into mana issues (see 1). But not all enchanters are the best. If an enchanter says he's not comfortable with a pet while intense CC is going on...I get it.

(3) HP - Maybe you are out of Runes, or can't keep up Runes with your mana usage (again, violating 1). Maybe you have a single cleric healing, who is mana strained and can't interrupt CHs fast enough to keep you alive. Maybe AOE packs are in such close quarters that you can't recharm bc your AE stun generates too much aggro on you. Basically...if you die, you can't CC anything. So if you are unable to charm because your group cannot keep you alive, then don't charm a pet.

NOW- there are miscellanous supplementary reasons why you don't want to charm. But these are things like not enough mobs, no mobs that are low enough, a need to ninja-afk. The first two are particular circumstances to an Enchanter being in certain camps (like MM Pond) or being underleveled for content (I know once I was brought to LGUK Ass/Sup to basiclally jsut be a buff-bot bc I was underleveled). But these are special circumstances. If you need to ninja-afk and are worried about charm breaks...then I hope you're not the main CC as well.
Good post.

+1
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 04-25-2017, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

Saying an enchanter should always charm is like saying a druid should always quad kite.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:44 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Saying an enchanter should always charm is like saying a druid should always quad kite.
or that a shaman should always canni.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:09 PM
Planar Protector

Finally we're getting onto something.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:17 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Back in the day I never charmed stuff as a rule of thumb. The only exception was a ghoul wizard in Guk. There is simply no need to do damage as enchanter. People will just love you when they survive the whole night without a single death.
Last edited by Neric; 04-25-2017 at 03:20 PM..
Closed Thread