Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 08-03-2022, 08:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelld52 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
are we assuming every class were talking about is level 60 with NToV gear? because then youre right, warrior is a beast.

but levelling, questing, exploring -- warrior falls far below just about any other class. even cleric is more powerful than warrior (if you dont have to kill the mob and just need to not die). for me, warrior coming in as most underpwoered comes down to what a class can do solo, because p99 is a low population with scarce numbers across the levelling zones 1-50

warrior cant crawl through a dungeon killing stuff as effectively as a monk, sk, paladin, enchanter, mage, necro, shaman.

warrior cant get aggro in groups as good as a ranger, paladin, sk.

warrior cant travel with the ease of a druid, shaman, ranger, bard, wizard.

warrior cant provide any support in a group like a cleric, shaman, druid, bard, enchanter, paladin, ranger.

warrior cant sneak into KoS zones like a monk, rogue, ranger, druid, SK, necro, shaman, enchanter, wizard, bard., mage

warrior cant do the DPS of a rogue, monk, enchanter, wizard, mage

warrior can tank raid mobs without dying to quad attacks and rampage.

i mained a warrior from 2001-2005, its one of my favorite classes. but on a low pop server like p99, its really underpowered.
Recently leveled a warrior to 40, exclusively grouping from lvl 10 or so. At least on green,lots of lvling groups.
I found a pickup group at runnyeye sporalis one day. Lots of fun
Old 08-03-2022, 09:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
True, they aren't as useful in certain raid situations.

But I am not sure if any other class is so good in all three categories overall as an Enchanter. There are certainly situations in which other classes are better than Enchanters in a raid, especially when you can't Charm and you can't CC.

Shamans could come close, but they require a lot more money to get going, and they have the same issue as Enchanters, where quite a few Raid situations do not require more than a few Shamans.

When not talking about Shamans or Enchanters, usually the other classes start to drag on the solo/group categories.
Monk. Or bard. Powerful solo, grouped and lots to do on raids. Monk Moreso than bard on raids
Old 08-03-2022, 11:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Z was off topic discussing which classes could be deleted.
*sigh*, you are so obtuse. Looking at how much harder the game would be if a certain class was deleted is completely relevant to assessing the power level of a class. The missing class that would slow things down the least, that people would miss the least, is a clear indicator of them being one of the less powerful classes (although this isn't quite the sole determiner of gauging THE least powerful class in the game overall).

This scenario is not just a "what if" either, but an actual thing that happens ingame: aka, your guild doesn't have a certain class log on a particular day, or you can't find any of a certain class to group with. If we were to scientifically analyze how much slower each raid/group is in each instance, then we would have a very good idea of what the least powerful class in the game is. This very thorough data doesn't completely exist though, so we have to estimate it for ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The thing about Enchanter is, while it's 100% most OP, it's also a very P99-specific answer.

The class was far more balanced back in classic: if you could take a time machine back to 2001, and ask this same question of EverQuest players, they would have said Druid or Necromancer, or maybe Mage or Shaman; if you told them "the answer is Enchanter", they would look at you like you're crazy ("You mean the class that mezzes and gives clarity? How are they powerful?").
Nah, the power of Enchanter was being widely realized in 2000. During Kunark era Warrior-Cleric-Enchanter were named the "Holy Trinity" of the game. Everyone desperately wanted Clarity/Haste, and Tash/Slow/Mesmerize were highly valued too. Even without Charm usage, people were understanding the huge impact an Enchanter brought to a group.

If you asked in 2001, when Charming was also becoming more common (although definitely FAR less prevalent and understood compared to now), I think Enchanter would have won the poll. At least among decently seasoned players.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
*sigh*, you are so obtuse. Looking at how much harder the game would be if a certain class was deleted is completely relevant to assessing the power level of a class. The missing class that would slow things down the least, that people would miss the least, is a clear indicator of them being one of the less powerful classes (although this isn't quite the sole determiner of gauging THE least powerful class in the game overall).

This scenario is not just a "what if" either, but an actual thing that happens ingame: aka, your guild doesn't have a certain class log on a particular day, or you can't find any of a certain class to group with. If we were to scientifically analyze how much slower each raid/group is in each instance, then we would have a very good idea of what the least powerful class in the game is. This very thorough data doesn't completely exist though, so we have to estimate it for ourselves.

Yeah like second half of 2000 Enchanter was creeping up there in importance. The game was becoming less about exploring and the journey and starting to shift more toward the min/maxing exp mentality because people were trying to level up their second chars etc. It wasn't what it is today with min/maxing of course, but people were really figuring out how ideal it was to have the mana regen, haste, slow, and CC all in one package.

Nah, the power of Enchanter was being widely realized in 2000. During Kunark era Warrior-Cleric-Enchanter were named the "Holy Trinity" of the game. Everyone desperately wanted Clarity/Haste, and Tash/Slow/Mesmerize were highly valued too. Even without Charm usage, people were understanding the huge impact an Enchanter brought to a group.

If you asked in 2001, when Charming was also becoming more common (although definitely FAR less prevalent and understood compared to now), I think Enchanter would have won the poll. At least among decently seasoned players.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You are going back to the "most underpowered class in raiding" topic. If Mages were deleted, the game wouldn't be slower/harder for anybody but hardcore raiders, which is a minority on both servers. Please note that you could still do all raid content just fine. You don't need Mages to level fast in a grouping scenario. Nobody here is arguing that Mage's are the most underpowered in raids.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-04-2022 at 12:28 PM..
Old 08-04-2022, 12:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivitron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Enchanters are a bit hit and miss raiding imo. Great for several encounters e.g. Tunare, but go into most of ToV or VP or Sleepers golems and suddenly you're best off if 3/4ths of the enchanter's you had at Tunare swap to a different class. I bet our enchanters have a significantly higher than average rate of playing guild bots.

When the encounter doesn't allow for any mez/lull/charm/stun/root I feel a kinship with those magicians who can't summon a pet or land a nuke, too. The role reduction really changes the game even though the raid still needs a few of you.

I agree about soloing and grouping, though. Great class for either.
The only one I agree with you on is VP...and am appalled you included ToV in that list.

ToV
- Join a wizard group. Get a TL box. Tash mobs as they're being pulled in, hit your TL box, zone back in, get coth'd back up. This is one of the most important things enchanters can do during a contested pop or quake. Super critical on all competitive engages in which the target is slowable (doze, vulak, aary, koi, lady M, lady N, triples, etc) and any flurries that need to be killed. It makes raids go so much smoother when your shaman are landing slows on their first 1-2 casts.

- You need to sieve all shimmers / glimmers / blue drakes.

- Goalie duty on HoT minis, Ikki, LTK, Vulak guard wizard kites...hell if an enc has a TL box, SoW, and a DA earring they can help trainouts. Big, raid-saving blurs may be rare but you'll be Captain Clutch when you do pull it off.

- Hatchlings can be charmed, especially nice for Eashen and Vyemm.

Kael
- Charm a trooper / bvellos / korakaz. If that doesn't pucker yer butthole you are geared to the tits.

Fear + Hate
- Pets galore, Irak hits like a godamn truck.

Sleepers
- I did some charming there. It was scary....but you can make a small numbers prismatic scale farm crew with a couple enchanters charming. dolla dolla bills yallll

Trak
- Dictate a jugg, clutch for those low number / fast engages.

I could go on, but you get the idea. There are a lot of bad / lazy enchanters out there just licking walls and answering buff tells. Don't be one of them. And yes, I definitely logged on cleric bots plenty of times when the raid was running really heavy on enchanters.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only one I agree with you on is VP...and am appalled you included ToV in that list.

ToV
- Join a wizard group. Get a TL box. Tash mobs as they're being pulled in, hit your TL box, zone back in, get coth'd back up. This is one of the most important things enchanters can do during a contested pop or quake. Super critical on all competitive engages in which the target is slowable (doze, vulak, aary, koi, lady M, lady N, triples, etc) and any flurries that need to be killed. It makes raids go so much smoother when your shaman are landing slows on their first 1-2 casts.

- Goalie duty on HoT minis, Ikki, LTK, Vulak guard wizard kites...hell if an enc has a TL box, SoW, and a DA earring they can help trainouts. Big, raid-saving blurs may be rare but you'll be Captain Clutch when you do pull it off.

Kael
- Charm a trooper / bvellos / korakaz. If that doesn't pucker yer butthole you are geared to the tits.

Fear + Hate

Sleepers
- I did some charming there. It was scary....but you can make a small numbers prismatic scale farm crew with a couple enchanters charming. dolla dolla bills yallll

Trak

I could go on, but you get the idea. There are a lot of bad / lazy enchanters out there just licking walls and answering buff tells. Don't be one of them. And yes, I definitely logged on cleric bots plenty of times when the raid was running really heavy on enchanters.
I agree with all of this.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Recently leveled a warrior to 40, exclusively grouping from lvl 10 or so. At least on green,lots of lvling groups.
I found a pickup group at runnyeye sporalis one day. Lots of fun

Love to hear it. I get sad thinking about green not having the constant waves of new players like it did for the first 2 years of its existence.

Also love that it was in Runnyeye and not Unrest.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Their power in groups was absolutely recognized in groups ... and not because of their charming (Enchanters mostly didn't charm in groups in classic; their job in that "trinity" you mentioned was to mez and give Clarity, not add DPS).

They were not at all recognized for their soloing. Here most would argue they are the #1 soloing class (maybe #2 after Shaman). In classic Necromancer, Druid, and Mage would have all been ranked higher.

Our charm is simply not classic: live charm was far riskier, and that's why Enchanters opted to group rather than charm solo, by vast margins ... whereas here it's exactly the opposite.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

ToV

Kael

Fear + Hate

Sleepers

Trak

Seems like some good advice. Next ToV I'll make it a point to get in a wizard/mage group, maybe that's the part of the formula I'm missing there; regular tash+box would let me keep sow up to help kite/train/goaltend, too. I'll see if I can get away with more hatchling charming; some of the guild is pretty convinced that pets aren't worth the train risk in most of ToV and I'm not sure whether they would welcome hatchlings at Vyemm.

We make those Fear/Kael/Trak charms; I'm largely happy with my enchanter there. My enchanter isn't my sleeper's keyed character, but the scale farm does sound like a nice benefit if I do key him. I did see one of our enchanters tag himself a pet for Prog once, but it seemed like a novelty.