Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 02:24 PM
Large Rat

Default New Looking for tips

I played some a few years back and made it to level 4 on a Dark Elf Wizard, things came up and I had to stop playing.

Recently came back and made a Wood Elf Ranger. I've had a few people tell me I should remake, lol. I was told they get a -40% to exp and they aren't really great as it is.

I've had a bit of trouble if I am honest. If I don't have buffs from someone that ran by me, it's pretty hard to come out a fight with more than a two bars of HP or out at alive at all. I've been trying to fight Orcs, but they are to the point even if they are blue its a rough fight. I can sometimes find a group, but I feel useless?

I am looking for a few pointers on what I should do. Is there another zone I can exp in at lvl 6-7? Where can I find a better weapon maybe? Am I beating my head against a wall with this class?

On Green server

In-game name is Hotas if you want to message me in-game.

Thanks.
Last edited by Jumping; 04-05-2021 at 02:29 PM..
Old 04-06-2021, 03:55 AM
Kobold

You sound like a first time player? I mean don't get me wrong, but you stopped playing when your wizard was lvl 4. You didn't experience the game past level 10.

What other games have you played? What aspects of those games did you enjoy?

My advice I give to everyone that is starting out in eq for the first time and isn't sure, play a druid to 20 and see what you like about it. A druid can do it all, heal, nuke, support, plus they can port around. See what part of the druid you like best, then make a better educated guess on what might suit you for future.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:03 AM
Planar Protector

Don't ever let anyone make you stop playing a wood elf ranger.

Remember you can always go back to Crushbone.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:41 AM
Kobold

Rangers are cool! They get cool weapons and can even do top dmg with their discs and weapons that have stopped dropping on blue! Who cares if they take longer to level with, people stop playing all the time, I was lvl 59 for more than a year, still felt great to hit 60 and haven't done much since... If you take people's advice you end up playing one of 5 classes. I picked a hybrid class too, just because I wanted ONE spell it had. Have I regretted it, sure, you won't be the star tank. Would I do it again, probably, it's nice being able to do many things.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:38 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am looking for a few pointers on what I should do. Is there another zone I can exp in at lvl 6-7? Where can I find a better weapon maybe? Am I beating my head against a wall with this class?
While ranger is fun to play, it is much much more fun, if he is not in rags. If you can put some gear on him. For that, you need platina, and platina you don't have. Mele classes usually need investments into their equipment for better play. Much more than casters. With Necromancer you can level to 50 naked.

What players typically do is, they start with easy to solo class such as Druid or Necromancer. They level them up, to start farming good platina and item drops. Then you use this platina and items drops to gear up your Ranger.

Be sure to check out guides:
http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure

Otherwise, for your level, those Orcs should be good. Belts they drop you can use for leveling up (XP Quest in Kaladim) or for selling them to other players for some starting platina.
https://wiki.project1999.com/Crushbone_Belts
Last edited by pivo; 04-06-2021 at 08:44 AM..
Old 04-06-2021, 10:22 AM
Planar Protector

Keep the wiki open. Use it all the time.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:25 PM
Planar Protector

People have lots of opinions on classes but it's kind of dumb to play this game if you are playing something that isn't fun to you.

EQ is a tough game starting out. The considerations really do mean something. Don't compare it to WoW where from the start you just quickly mow through enemies solo. If you end up getting good items for your level things change drastically but if you don't have them what you have described is reasonable for most classes starting out untwinked.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 04-06-2021, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

No matter how much faster xp may be on another race/class combo, it won't be xp on a ranger, and if that is what you want to play then that is what you should play.

Honestly, the xp penalty on a character you enjoy isn't that big a deal - all it means is you get to spend more time enjoying levelling on a character you enjoy.

All three servers are mature enough that you will find people just hand you decent gear if you are falling behind the curve.

I was fighting in Kurn's tower in my teens with some combine (bad vendor purchased) weapons, and Chantalicious saw me then straight up handed me a Rod of Lamentations (drops from the level 60 boss of the undead area of Old Sebilis, the highest level xp zone on green at the moment).

The racer levellers have all hit 50+ now, so people don't really care that much if you are bringing a big hybrid or race xp penalty to group. It's all twink alts and chill paced people levelling atm.

If you don't enjoy the ranger you can always reroll.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:17 PM
Large Rat

Thanks for the tips everyone. I did not stay with the ranger, in fact I now have a level 12 Paladin. I would see a dwarf in-game and almost every time I wanted to make one right after.

I have a more fun than expected with this game. I managed to make 100 plat or so have found someone to make me the brand armor for my Paladin. Now trying to find a decent weapon, mine not great. Any ideas what where I can get a decent weapon and shield fore level 12 dwarf Paladin?
Old 04-09-2021, 02:24 PM
Planar Protector

Send me a PM if you ever want some free exp )powerleveling( on green.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Closed Thread