Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-04-2021, 11:48 AM
Kobold

Default Reset Device Failure caused by light sources

I am more or less certain now that my CTDs are caused by having lightsources coming into my character's view. Firepots/braziers, lanterns, sconces etc.

It happens at the same predictable areas in game exactly when a light source is drawn. Firepots outside Cabilis, the room near the elementals in Sol A, FM fort next to the firepot, even the dragon valley outside ToV as the light sources there appear on screen, and many, many others.

I have tried numerous eqclient fix suggestions and WinEQ2 but nothing so far has helped.

Is there a setting I can try somewhere which stops the game trying to draw light sources (like you can with grass)?
Old 09-04-2021, 12:12 PM
Aviak

The Reset Device Failure was really giving me a hard time all the sudden a few months ago as well. I have always used WinEQ2, tried messing with settings in there but nothing made a difference.

Finally dumped WinEQ 2, got the Dg voodoo files and followed one of posts on how to remove the water mark. I rarely have crashes at this point.

Search DgVoodoo should come up with some info on the forums
Old 09-05-2021, 01:31 AM
Kobold

You are just guessing that light sources crash you because you have coincidentally been near light sources when you crash? It is possible but I suspect in time you might discover places that don't have light sources that still crash you. Like the OT tunnel to skyfire.

Having said all that I personally have finally found a fix for me.

A) Make sure your windowed/fullscreen resolution matches your screen resolution. This isn't just prevent crashes when going windowed mode. It will improve game stabilization. The games resolution needs to match your desktop/monitors resolution. In my case I have a 4k monitor but fonts wont scale large enough so I set my monitor to 2k resolution and have the game match that.
B) Don't bother using wineq2. It isn't helping.
C) Make sure the game is launching with compatibility mode.
D) Load the d3voodoo wrapper into your eq folder.
Old 04-11-2023, 10:54 AM
Sarnak

Default EQGraphicsDX9.dll

Quote:
Had this issue with constant 'reset device' errors after installing a new RX 570 card.
Tried loads of things but the only thing which appears to have helped is to add:

GraphicsDLL9=EQGraphicsDX9.DL

into the eqclient.ini as recommended by the developer earlier in the thread.
found ^this on: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/....253742/page-2

i think he meant to write:
- GraphicsDLL9=EQGraphicsDX9.DLL

i haven't tried it yet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]