Old 04-25-2022, 08:50 AM
Planar Protector

Solo - Rogue and it's not even close
Group - Wizard and it's not even close
Raid - who cares
Old 04-25-2022, 09:41 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomaroast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Combat bandaging was not 'taken out.' It was a bug that needed to be fixed. It's designed to be an out-of-combat skill.

I'd say the most underpowered class is paladins. They're either a druid-level healer with underpowered HP buffs if they're willing to sit all the time and never melee, or they're the lowest dps melee class that can toss a fraction of the healing needed to keep a group running.
pallys are great pullers and decent group tanks

fun class but underpowered for sure

not as weak as rangers imo
Old 04-25-2022, 09:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, well...seems like 3 of the 4 classes i play are mentioned on this thread [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'll start with the one closest to my heart...I'll agree with the posters above that a mage's toolkit is limited (and by that i assume you mean no CC). But I think people are kidding themselves when they say a mage is underpowered. I have solo'd past 55 without having to chain summon pets. Fights hardly take any effort. I melt blue cons when facing them 1v1 faster than almost any class besides a wizard dumping all of his mana, and for me it takes - if sticking with one pet - just a 1/4 of my mana bar at most, while with chain summoning i have 90% of my mana remaining. Not sure how that's underpowered.

I get the lack of CC sucks but honestly, there are plenty of places to kill that require no CC. Even past 55. And also, anyone who's actually played a mage for a long time and knows about the class will be able to handle 2 mobs, sometimes 3 if they are weaker, using the earth pet and its root. The pet should almost never have to face more than 1 mob at a time if you do the root dance right.

As for druid, I do feel the class is offensively weak, but that's the tradeoff - it's such a versatile class essentially containing three different gameplay styles (root rotting like a shammy/necro, charm fighting like an enchanter, or quadding like a wizard) but obviously can't be the best at any of them. Good for people who get bored playing in a certain style for too long.

I'm not going to defend paladin, because quite frankly it has been EQ's best kept secret (if you like solo dungeon crawling).
Underpowered doesn't mean they suck or are unplayable. Luckily in P99 all classes can work pretty well in most situations. I wasn't trying to suggest a Magician is unplayable on P99. Their toolkit is simply generally inferior to the other major pet classes such as Necromancer and Enchanter, so they lose out in most class comparisons. That doesn't mean you shouldn't play one, it just means you need to know what you are getting in to when you pick Magician. Same with Rogues. Great DPS class, but you need to know that you are going to have a tough time soloing. That means you should plan on making sure you are good at having groups lined up.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:14 AM
Kobold

I think at different points in the game different classes have various power spikes. Druid for example are very strong in their 20s, easily able to solo yellows. But by 35 or so, definitely by 40, shamans and clerics overtake them in their usefulness in groups and those nukes don’t seem to hit so hard anymore. My modest paladin was a superhero in unrest from 20-40 or so but at higher levels these twink monks running around are stronger in every way
Old 04-25-2022, 10:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Raiding: Shadowknights

For raiding Shadowknights bring nothing to the table on P99. Lifetaps are completely nerfed, they aren't generally allowed to pull, guilds do not employ the harm touch zerging strategy, and they do not have any useful class specific spells/clickies/disciplines.
SK's AC debuffs stack with most everything, land easier than cripple, increase raid DPS and also make the SK the rampage tank.

just like nature intended.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:07 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What ever I play.
I know the feeling LoL
Old 04-25-2022, 11:43 AM
Sarnak

Over the years, I felt like knights never got the love they deserved on this server until more recently. Later patches help tremendously, but a well geared knight can really hold his own in a raid situation and should be the preferred tank for trash clearing and many encounters.

When played correctly, I feel like wizards bring tremendous utility and depth to a group, especially in places like Sebilis (grabbing aggro with flux staff and root parking melee and casters out of line of sight, stun interrupts on casters, and ability to burn mobs down). But wizards without VP robe and such are kinda gimped compared to other dps classes. Even mages get that clicky staff from Chardok.

I guess I don't know whether I'm thinking of under powered or under appreciated.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
SK's AC debuffs stack with most everything, land easier than cripple, increase raid DPS and also make the SK the rampage tank.

just like nature intended.
Oh don't get me wrong. I love my SK, and they can bring utility to a raid if the guild agrees to it. But on P99 Shadowknights are typically not used in the raid scene once kunark comes out. AC debuffs are nice, but realisticially only used in a handful of raid situations, and even then guilds would prefer you came with a different class lol. That is just the reality of P99. All of the unique features of a Shadowknight that would be useful in raids have either been nerfed, or simply not used in the P99 metas.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:06 PM
Planar Protector

Would've said Ranger pre-Velious, until they get Call of the Predator. Then they become an ADPS monster like Bard.

Is it just me though, or do most Bards get a bad rap for being lazy?
Old 04-25-2022, 12:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Would've said Ranger pre-Velious, until they get Call of the Predator. Then they become an ADPS monster like Bard.

Is it just me though, or do most Bards get a bad rap for being lazy?
Yeah Rangers aren't bad in Velious. They have CoTP and Weaponshield discipline, which allows them to tank in some situations. Trueshot discipline can also be decent DPS I believe, albeit for a short period.

As for Bards, I wouldn't say they are lazy. They are simply called that because other classes do not require as much effort as a Bard. Most bards are probably alts, which means most players aren't used to constantly weaving 3-4 spells. And if you aren't doing that, then you are not playing a Bard very optimally. Not saying Bards shouldn't learn to play their class better, but I think the number of players who main Bard is actually pretty small. So Bards more than other classes are just not going to be played as well.