Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-05-2022, 01:26 PM
Sarnak

Default Periodic Freezing

Hey All,

I run P99 off an external 1TB SSD HD and it has ran beautifully off my Dell Latitude 7280 with Intel Core i5-6300U @2.4GHz, 8GB Ram, 64 bit Windows 10Pro System with Intel HD Graphics 520. Never ever had a problem, not glitching, seamless.

I plug my SSD into my new Dell 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H 2.30 GHz, 16GB Ram, 64 bit Windows 11 Pro system with integrated Intel Iris Xe Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU. and it runs even better! Except for 1 thing.

Every so often, when I am in game and perform an action like clicking on something, right click on an NPC, select an item from inventory, open a window, completely random so it doesnt happen all the time, the game will freeze for about 6-7 seconds, then resume play normally. It can go a few minutes without issues, I can run a whole zone without issues, but some random button click action i do, will cause this momentary freeze. Screen never goes black btw. Another example, i could be killing 3 mobs in unrest, click Alt O to open up options, and it will freeze for the few seconds. But once i do it, i cant get it to do it again, or at least, it will take a while before i can recreate it. It seems random when it happens but its caused by an action.

I have run it in compatibility mode, as admin, I have changed to operate off 1 CPU, I ran it off GeForce card with some of the changes mentioned in the forums, i ran it on default settings, I ran it with the integrated intel card, all the same issue.

Then i thought it was a UI issue. I run DuxaUI, so i switched to velious UI, same issue.

I am at a loss as what to do. I donÂ’t have the option of going back to the old laptop. Is anyone experiencing this issue? Like i said, the game runs absolutely beautiful except for this random, annoying issue. Its clearly not a server tick.

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-05-2022, 02:17 PM
Sarnak

I just tried running on WinEQ2 and it did not solve the issue. First thing I did was open up inventory and it froze for the 6-7 seconds then resumed as normal.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:00 PM
Sarnak

I moved my files from the external SSD onto my C drive. This solved my issue.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:01 PM
Sarnak

Grats me
Old 08-06-2022, 12:09 AM
Planar Protector

Interesting. Can you give us the specs on the external drive? Maybe run chkdsk on it? Grasping at straws I know, but it's good to know that you found a workaround.

-Mcoy
Old 08-06-2022, 04:42 AM
Kobold

My guess would be driver issues or poor USB interface performance.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:34 AM
Sarnak

It’s a 1 TB External Scandisk Extreme Pro SSD model #SDSSDE81-1T00.

Once I relocated the files to my C drive and fixed the shortcut on my desktop, the issue went away. I can confirm all drivers are updated.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:55 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyry [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It’s a 1 TB External Scandisk Extreme Pro SSD model #SDSSDE81-1T00.

Once I relocated the files to my C drive and fixed the shortcut on my desktop, the issue went away. I can confirm all drivers are updated.
It's an external drive that uses your USB interface. It could be your USB power saving settings, slow USB hardware, driver issues, using windows 11 or something else. I'm not surprised that an internal drive works better.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:09 PM
Banned

Yeah the fact that it's a SSD (which are usually lightning fast) is mitigated dramatically by the fact it still has to send that data over USB into your computer. I'd expect there to be issues running a game off it compared to an internal drive (even a regular SATA hdd)
Old 08-08-2022, 12:28 PM
Sarnak

The crazy thing is that it worked on the other laptop so well. The good thing is, is that this laptop has more storage and there is plenty of room for it.