Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 10:14 AM
Kobold

Default Is it possible to play end-game content as a new player?

So I've been playing for about a month now, have a level 25 necromancer. It's been great fun thus far, but I feel so far behind and I also feel an immense pressure to level quickly. This hasn't been put on me by other players, rather, I feel that if I don't level quickly enough and get enough plat to purchase a pre-nerf CoS, I'm going to always be behind on content.

However, it also feels like good camps are always occupied by twinked characters. I've tried to get treants in SK for a couple days now and there's always a character with far better gear than me camping the area. I logged on at 8:30am central time on a Tuesday and it was still taken. I won't ever be able to hold a camp down as well as a person with much better gear than myself but I also won't be able to get gear if I can't get on a good camp to grind out plat.

Even if I were to get enough plat for decent gear and level up to 60, what chance do I have of ever being able to touch endgame content when there are multiple guilds full of geared out players who have been on the server for three years already? Overall, it feels like there's not much of a point to

Now I prepare myself for the inevitable posts flaming me for whining and telling me to join red. I know that some of my impressions are a tad irrational, I'm mostly just putting them out there to get feedback rather than trying to complain. I get that I should play the game to have fun and not to get the best gear, but I also feel like the game isn't as enjoyable when it seems like there's a ceiling on how far I can progress.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Orc

I started in May as monk, not played on P99 before. I'm now lvl 60 with epic and in the guild Forsaken doing server firsts in NTOV. It's all in your mind and all about how much you want it.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:57 AM
Planar Protector

Jokes aside, you would get to 60 quicker on red [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-04-2015, 12:05 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by snots [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I started in May as monk, not played on P99 before. I'm now lvl 60 with epic and in the guild Forsaken doing server firsts in NTOV. It's all in your mind and all about how much you want it.

Good luck.
So did you mainly just focus on leveling to 60, first, instead of trying to gear up while you leveled or farm plat? Would you recommend dungeons over outdoor zones for leveling? I've been thinking about shifting to Mistmoore but it seems so packed.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Fire Giant

snots, you have too much play time [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

simp403, it is absolutely possible to attain high end gear down the road. It does not matter at all how long it takes you to level. I played P99 for over a year before I started playing a lot and got a character over lvl 20. I don't have all the uber gear, but I have some PoSky loot and other pieces as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp403
I get that I should play the game to have fun and not to get the best gear, but I also feel like the game isn't as enjoyable when it seems like there's a ceiling on how far I can progress.
This is, by definition, P99. There IS a ceiling. You will never get loot better than Velious gear. That being said, this game is fun as shit. It takes me forever to level and I enjoy the hell out of it. But I am a rarer breed in that I enjoy leveling and don't really crave end game.

Are you in a guild? Guilds make everything more fun because you can group with the same cool people on a somewhat regular basis. Treants are a great spot to make some cash but yeah, they are camped a lot. With a guild maybe you could find a group to bang out some exp while earning cash/possible drops on loot instead of waiting for that camp.

Try out different things and see what you like best. IMO the fast road is the worst road.

Also, necros don't need gear =p
Old 08-04-2015, 12:23 PM
Kobold

I didn't really want to join a guild because I feel like it would be an asshole move to just ditch them if I were to get to 60 and possibly get into a raiding guild.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Kobold

How much time are you willing to commit? If "end-game" to you means raids & gear, you are only going to get what you are willing to put in. Think if it this way: EQ was designed to be competitive around contested spawns, with spawn times that can be measured in hours to days, with variable drop rates (ridiculously low on certain mobs).

If you need a drop from Inny, good luck. Velious will help matters to an extent, but the situation remains the same: you need to demonstrate a degree of commitment to be in with a shout. Or spend an inordinate amount of time playing TunnelQuest.

What are your priorities in the game? In what timescales do you wish to achieve your priorities? How much time and effort are you willing to commit?

The ceiling will be mob spawn rates, contested content, and drop rates. If you're shooting for a Mage epic for example, think about (a) what drops you require, (b) which mobs drops what you require, (c) spawn rate, and (d) number of other players ahead of you in the queue.

Stretch out your timescales quite significantly and you may get there. However, do not be under any illusion about the commitment required and the road-blocks ahead. Also, if you are serious about raid content, you're going to need to join a Guild that has access to the content you require.

Or get to know a few players, attend a few weddings. Bingo!
Riotgirl - formerly High Elf Enchanter | Ayonae Ro
Old 08-04-2015, 01:14 PM
Aviak

Don't rush this game. This game is not like WoW in that the game begins once you hit the level cap. Take it slow, enjoy leveling, and go at your own pace. If that's fast, go fast. If it's not, don't feel pressured.

As a necro, you should be able to make money and get drops ezpz. You can solo some ridiculous things.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:34 PM
Skeleton

Money gets much easier to come by as you get more levels. At level 25 I would move to Lake of Ill Omen and then at 30 you can move over to Frontier Mountain giant fort for exp where you will have a chance at Forest Loop.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp403 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
However, it also feels like good camps are always occupied by twinked characters.
This is the problem. You can get end game loots easier then a fucking sola xp group because theres nothin but fungis and epics running around from lvl1.

Getting end game loots is just a matter of signing up to #1 and being a good app. Just ask them what u need to do (tracking most likely) and plug away till ur full member and the loot will come fast.
Closed Thread