Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 11-24-2014, 03:44 AM
Kobold

Default Minor Illusion **

Myself and a friend were playing around, and noticed a bug with the spell Minor Illusion (enc) lvl 1
it seems you only change form for other players when they watch you cast it.
otherwise your form doesn't change for other players.
is this intended? if so, minor illusion seems very useless
Old 11-26-2014, 01:55 AM
Sarnak

I have been chasing this bug since forever.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=41636

On P99, it seems that upon casting Minor Illusion, anyone watching you when you cast Minor Illusion will see your body form as whatever inanimate world object is nearest to their player character's field of vision when you cast Minor Illusion, or if you've transformed without them viewing, they may see you as your normal character model or your model at human model size. As such, I have been viewed simultaneously as a chair and also as a bunkbed by two different other players. Also simultaneously as a barrel and as a hide rug. Additionally, you gain infravision and the human faction modifier. Infravision is confirmed legit on EQ Mac, but the human faction mod is questionable for this point in the EQ timeline.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...minor+illusion

Originally, way way back in the day, Minor Illusion granted a person indifferent or dubious faction against pretty much any hostile creature. For instance, you could cast MI and sit in the very middle of most any dungeon without worrying about being attacked. The faction modifier was patched around 2003 on EQ Live because of a bug that was exploited that allowed a player to be mobile while under the faction protection of Minor Illusion. I have tested two methods I know to activate the mobile Minor Illusion bug on P99 and neither worked because of the way P99 stacks spell effects, so I feel MI should still grant the effect of making a player not-KoS to the factions affected. I have sent Faction Masta Sundawg a rundown of my Minor Illusion faction testing from the EQ Mac server while it was still active, so I hope some of the research gets put into effect some kinda soon!
Last edited by Vermicelli; 11-26-2014 at 02:06 AM..
Old 11-27-2014, 05:59 AM
Planar Protector

I remember on live if you cast minor illusion where there was no copyable model nearby the illusion would fail.

In this situation you could drop an item on the floor and illusion as that item (say a platinum coin). This illusion would be successful and you would be rooted to the spot.

If you pick up the item then cast the illusion again you would stay looking like the item but you would get the fail message and you would be able to move.

I remember the fun I used to have OOCing I dropped a big load of PP on the floor in newbie areas and then when a newb approached the 'pile of plat' it would speed off away from them and sometimes they would chase me around the zone thinking they were chasing some PP.

Ah, good times [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-29-2014, 11:47 PM
Sarnak

lol I think the most Classic fun I had with Minor Illusion was transforming into a barrel (the nearest object, I guess) in the pool you first see when zoning into South Qeynos from NQ and /shouting that I was a fortune telling barrel who would foretell someone's luck if they threw a silver piece into the pool, which I would quickly pick up. Made some kind noob money that way.

Even if Minor Illusion never gets fixed for P99, at least we are learning how to approach it as-is!
Old 12-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Kobold

bump, bug still in effect.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:14 AM
Skeleton

I noticed this issue yesterday. Is there an official bug list somewhere? Is this item on it?
Old 05-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puskara [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I noticed this issue yesterday. Is there an official bug list somewhere? Is this item on it?
The list is this entire sub-forum.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:45 PM
Kobold

Bumping an old thread!

So this doesn't work? Minor Illusion? I tried casting it in Mistmoore and then got attacked. I thought I read somewhere it was better to cast this spell than invis if you are going to go afk for any period of time.

Does tree still work that way?
Old 04-25-2019, 11:10 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bumping an old thread!

So this doesn't work? Minor Illusion? I tried casting it in Mistmoore and then got attacked. I thought I read somewhere it was better to cast this spell than invis if you are going to go afk for any period of time.

Does tree still work that way?
Nice Necro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
to answer your question, yeah minor illusion is almost entirely useless.
The best bonus it gives is infravision.
I've studied it a tad in my own thread from this year: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=322625

same with illusion tree. illusion doesn't last forever, and most likely any faction bonus you get will be from the invis, since it forces indifferent to anything that cannot see you.
Something interesting I did notice from last my last post in my own thread, however, is that you can seemingly port and gate while in minor illusion. This could lead to some pretty nasty abusive behaviors in the wrong hands... I guess the devs are going to be forced to deal with this spell now [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-23-2019, 07:31 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember on live if you cast minor illusion where there was no copyable model nearby the illusion would fail.

In this situation you could drop an item on the floor and illusion as that item (say a platinum coin). This illusion would be successful and you would be rooted to the spot.

If you pick up the item then cast the illusion again you would stay looking like the item but you would get the fail message and you would be able to move.

I remember the fun I used to have OOCing I dropped a big load of PP on the floor in newbie areas and then when a newb approached the 'pile of plat' it would speed off away from them and sometimes they would chase me around the zone thinking they were chasing some PP.

Ah, good times [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Piggie-backing off this, I also have a similar memory in GFay using that bug to turn into a copper coin and run around hailing and following people. You would also get to zoom out to third person and see a copper coin fighting a wasp.

Was good times. Would love to see minor illusion worked out. Or maybe it has, I just stopped reading here to comment on your old post <3