Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Planar Protector

Default Resists

I Read through the thread on hits and misses and figured I would post some questions about resists on this server.

I have a Wiz who is currently 22 and noticed I get a lot of resists even on blue mobs. I haven't yet had the time to parse resist/full/partial resist data if anyone has any available on resists of blue/yellow/red mobs I would love to see it. I do understand that certain types of mobs will have higher base or buffed resists.

How was the resist formula for this server determined?

I remember Wizards on live got a base modifier to decrease the resist rate of their spells (I'm not talking about the mod on spells like Lures). This is also confirmed by the Wiki, but is that actually in place on this server?

Magic based spells, I know they cause additional agro. Do they also have a higher chance to be resisted?

IIRC when I played live someone told me that when it was raining certain spells where more likely to get resisted or fizzle or something. Is that true?

I've also noticed that the Tash/Malo line of spells doesn't seem to have a significant (at least from my observation) influence on spell resists.

Some of these answers I might be able to find answers to looking at the EQEmu server source code but that could easily be very different from the source code running on P99.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I Read through the thread on hits and misses and figured I would post some questions about resists on this server.

I have a Wiz who is currently 22 and noticed I get a lot of resists even on blue mobs. I haven't yet had the time to parse resist/full/partial resist data if anyone has any available on resists of blue/yellow/red mobs I would love to see it. I do understand that certain types of mobs will have higher base or buffed resists.

I remember Wizards on live got a base modifier to decrease the resist rate of their spells (I'm not talking about the mod on spells like Lures). This is also confirmed by the Wiki, but is that actually in place on this server?

Magic based spells, I know they cause additional agro. Do they also have a higher chance to be resisted?

IIRC when I played live someone told me that when it was raining certain spells where more likely to get resisted or fizzle or something. Is that true?

I've also noticed that the Tash/Malo line of spells doesn't seem to have a significant (at least from my observation) influence on spell resists.

Some of these answers I might be able to find answers to looking at the EQEmu server source code but that could easily be very different from the source code running on P99.
Tash and malo have very significant affects on mob resists... it's just that the devs have been yo-yoing the resists a lot (but wasn't that like 2 months ago?) and they have erred drastically on the high resist side. Magic based spells do not have additional aggro... I've never heard that before anyway.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Planar Protector

Magic based spells (especially for a wizard) typically have a stun-component which would lead to high agro generation.

As far as resists for wizards, I really can't say but just from reactions I've read on the boards it does seem like they're way harsh (especially at low level). I don't remember resists being super bad on my necro, but many of my spell lines have decent -resist modifiers.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Old 06-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Planar Protector

resists are fine on my enchanter. If the mob is one level lower then the resists might be pretty bad, if the mob is 6 levels lower (but still blue) I almost never get resists. This is for all my spells except lull, which resists a lot, but that's classic.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 06-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I don't know how it's determined, but resists feel slightly more common here than I remember it. It's been over a decade, though, so it's hard to say. My gut feeling is that the resist rate of mobs close to your level is about right while it's a little high on mid and low blues.

Quote:
This resist modifier is pretty small, probably too small to feel at a glance. Can't bother checking, but I believe it's -10 or -20 on wizard nukes, and I'd estimate that your average mob has something like 50-60ish in each resist, excluding mobs that are specifically resistant to something.

Quote:
Magic-based spells don't inherently cause additional aggro, but most of them have effects that do. Any form of crowd control has high aggro, any nuke with a stun component generates brutal threat. A cleric nuke or druid dot doesn't generate any more threat than a fire-based nuke or poison-based dot that does the same amount of damage.

Quote:
I can pretty much guarantee that this is another one of those silly myths that people made up.

Quote:
These spells are pretty shitty until higher levels. They don't really scale with average mob resists, so a level 50 tash will make it easier to land spells on a level 50 mob than a level 20 tash does on a level 20 mob. The malo line is especially poor and usually not worth its mana cost until at least 40+.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Planar Protector

I think I've noticed magic-based nukes getting resisted more. I've sometimes used fire/frost-based nukes even if they're from an earlier level (and hence less mana-efficient) because they get resisted less.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Planar Protector

mobs usually have a higher MR then they have FR/IR.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Old 06-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Fire Giant

I think mobs have a tendency to have higher MR than the other resists. There's no mechanic that makes magic-based spells easier to resist by default. If you're having trouble landing spells on a mob, dispelling it can be more helpful than tashing or maloing it if there's a chance it has buffs on. In dungeons, almost all mobs will be fully cleric/shaman buffed unless they've just spawned.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Aviak

29 Shaman been killing static bards for awhile. Resists seem to get better as you outlevel the mob. RNG has a HUGE effect (i.e. I can get 3-5 resists, then zone, but come right back to the same mob and get no resists). Malo seems to have little effect if any (i.e. I can successfully land malise and then have 3-5 resist on root, disease/poison dot, and I can cast malise and get resisted, then have no resists on root, disease/poison dot). Maybe it gets better with the higher level malo's, but for now I have concluded not worth the mana.

It's kind of like the government though...I'd rather they not screw with it, because I think root holds much better here than on live (dd component of shaman dots seldom breaks it). If they look at it, I'm afraid that will get changed and the resists will stay the same. I can live with the way it is now. So move along devs, nothing to see in this thread.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Aviak

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong but as a wiz i can tell you that with the staff of temp flux you can spam until you see resist strings, and cast after 1-2 resists with a very small chance of being resisted...at least thats how it seems, i don't have logs or data to back it up but i'd suggest looking into getting one asap.

I've gotten completed fed up at times when a mob easily 3-4 levels below me resists 3 or 4 casts in an attempt to kill solo, which can cause a death, it feels much harsher than what i personally remember from classic, but then I was playing a necro.