Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-29-2018, 02:05 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Error 1017 9/10 times logging in.

Hey guys I think I know what my problem is, but I'd just like some confirmation. So I cannot get internet where I live for reasons, and so I have an unlimited data plan on my phone and tether my computer to my phone to get internet. This is sub-par I'm aware, but it beats no internet at all.

Anyhow...I was able to install EQ and go through the whole process of setting it up so it works on the P99 servers, and was able to get on, make a character and actually make it to Qeynos. When I tried going from north to south Qeynos however, the zoning took forever and then I crashed to login. Now 9/10 times when I try to log in to the server it never even gets to the character select and just gives me error 1017. When I do get there, it crashes loading the character into the game, and I'm guessing even if I did get in every time I try to zone I will get the same result.

I'm connected via a usb cable into a usb 3.0 port and my phone has full bars worth of signal. When I am able to get into the game the connection seems stable and I get 85 ms latency, the problem is getting on at all. I'm guessing there is nothing I can do about this and its just a matter of the servers not tolerating the packet loss and dropping me, and so I can't play unless I get a "real" connection? Any tips to the contrary would be appreciated. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-30-2018, 12:10 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds like it could be a corrupted zone file? You could try reinstalling EQ (and re-patching it with the P99 files) and see if that fixes it.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Well I tried and got the same results. Just to give me false hope the first time I tried post reinstall it let me get to the character select and then even got I game. Heck I was even able to get from South to North Qeynoe! Though each time it took like 25-30 seconds of loading and it said (not responding) on the window of the game. Then I tried getting to Qeynos Hills and it crashed to login and gave me error 1017. Subsequent attempts at logging in have just given me a long attempt and then crashhl to login and 1017. Guess I can't play with the intert connection I have. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-02-2018, 05:02 PM
Planar Protector

What are the specs of your machine? Does sound like a connection issue but having a CPU clock speed that's too fast can result in the same error.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:24 PM
Decaying Skeleton

FX-8350 CPU (4.2 GHz 8 core). I've tried both Duxas single core fix and the use one CPU option on the EQEmu launcher. Interestingly enough I can't use Google Chrome either because it loads forever then times out 9/10 times but Microsoft Edge works fine (a bit slow though). It must be my connection.