Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 11:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
JBB is largely irrelevant for end game Shaman, especially in Velious era. You want to be spending your time in combat doing other things than a long cast, relatively low damage clicky.
First of all, there's a lot more to this game than just the end-game, and second even as a level 60 Shaman with Torpor I still use my JBB all the time. Certainly less so when I'm in Velious, but even then it's useful in some fights (not everything on the continent has insane cold resist), and it's still really useful in classic and Kunark zones (eg. when I'm soloing NG in Sebilis).

JBB is basically the best melee weapon a Shaman can get, and thus is useful anytime you're face tanking a mob that isn't super cold resistant. No melee weapon (that I know of) can do more damage with the extra hit or two it would get in during a JBB cast, than the JBB cast itself can do.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

It's better to use a brawl stick and cannibalize inbetween swings or medidate-canni dance if not in melee. Even besides that, there many long-cast spells you need to be doing anyway as a Shaman. You don't have that much time to use JBB. MOBs don't need "super cold resist" to bring down the damage against JBB either, just a regular resist rate on typical content a 60 Shaman would be trying to solo or single group is enough to significantly cut into the damage.

Even if the JBB might end up being marginally better than spending your time on cannibalize + melee/meditate, remember that Iksar have innate AC bonus, which means they are mitigating more damage than a Troll when face tanking. Trolls also get slam, but on the whole I would rate AC bonus as stronger. So then the only factor remaining is the snare clicky Trolls get, which isn't that great IMO. It's a 6 second cast for a low duration, low percentage snare. Not something that can be relied upon or used too efficiently.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:49 PM
Sarnak

It really doesn't matter much. Either you use the JBB to its strengths or if you are ikky you enjoy AC/regen and should maximise that aspect instead.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:23 PM
Planar Protector

The question should be which race is best for each class... and then we would see a lot of these races not on the list at all. For example, there are a lot of barb shamans on this list... which in fact is actually the worst race for shaman but because Iksar, Troll, and Ogre have already been given some other class Barb is left for shaman.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBerta [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The question should be which race is best for each class... and then we would see a lot of these races not on the list at all. For example, there are a lot of barb shamans on this list... which in fact is actually the worst race for shaman but because Iksar, Troll, and Ogre have already been given some other class Barb is left for shaman.
No, I didn't want it to end up like that because i wanted it to be 1 race 1 class. The reason why people chose barb for shaman isn't because of what you said but because they were very popular pre Kunark race class combo and they have a wolf helm
Old 09-24-2018, 04:28 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBerta [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The question should be which race is best for each class....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horsey1.jpg (6.3 KB, 4 views)
Last edited by Crawdad; 09-24-2018 at 04:33 PM..
Old 09-25-2018, 03:03 PM
Aviak

Barbarian = Shaman
Dwarf = Cleric
Dark elf = Shadowknight
Erudite = Wizard
Gnome = magician
Halfling = druid
Half elf = bard
High elf = Enchanter
Iksar = monk
Human = Paladin
Ogre = warrior
Troll = shaman
Wood elf = Bard
Old 09-25-2018, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

Human is probably the worst race min/max wise, correct?
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:40 AM
Planar Protector

outside of spells, do SK and Paladin melee and mitigate damage the same?

thank you for all your responses BTW. this has been extremely helpful
Old 09-27-2018, 01:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Human is probably the worst race min/max wise, correct?
Or maybe half-elf. Never done stat crunching for either but neither has any redeemable qualities besides stats, and I suspect they're both the worst race for at least one class stat-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's better to use a brawl stick and cannibalize inbetween swings or medidate-canni dance if not in melee. Even besides that, there many long-cast spells you need to be doing anyway as a Shaman. You don't have that much time to use JBB.
You're not wrong that even in melee I cann/Torpor a lot to recover mana. But take a camp like NG. When I'm killing the scarabs, I want them dead as quickly as possible, so I can get new scarabs and more gems faster.

If I cann/torpor in combat for mana I don't need that just slows my scarab-killing down, whereas if I use my JBB that speeds it up. After the fight, when there are no more scarabs to kill, I can cann/torpor or med all I want.

When fighting something harder I may well need more mana to cast more Torpors to keep myself alive, and then I can't take advantage of the JBB to speed things up as much. Or, again, if the mobs have high cold resist. I freely admit that it's circumstantial, but for some fights the JBB is absolutely still useful at 60.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 09-27-2018 at 01:04 PM..
Closed Thread