Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Aviak

Default Item loot for server growth

Hey guys. It seems clear that the server needs some revitalization. High end game is fine...kinda typical for everquest with some main guild dominating and others trying to catch up. We don't have the population to support more than 1 successful top level guild, so we have that.

But the server needs most help in the lowbie department, since these are the guys that will one day become level 60's, or maybe they will stick with having fun and never get to level 60.

We need item loot. At present, there are a number of twinks having a great time running people out of unrest and the general faydark area. For any new player, the only rational response to these guys is to run away. For a lowbie getting bashed by twinks, the lowbie will lose valuable EXP, and has literally nothing to gain by fighting back.

On rallos zek, hunting twinks was a major past time. Tons of people would gang up and basically try to fight off a raid boss and possibly get some domination piece of loot that would elevate that noobs status.

Other players would make twinks specifically to kill other twinks.. so there would be level 10 twink rogues for killing noobs, and then some cool guys would make level 14 twinks to try to kill the level 10 rogues. There was a lot to do and a lot of incentive to pvp.

Right now, pvp is only an inconvenience at every single point in the game. At maximum level it is cool to contest specific zones and things like that, but for level 1-50 its basically just a guy trying to level up and getting attacked while trying to grind, and if he is lucky and cool he will escape with his life and wait until the PK guy gets bored and logs off.

Not cool.

we need item loot. EXP loss and coin loot maximum penalizes lowbies who need money for spells, and need EXP to get more strength...and it gives them zero reason to fight back.

No item loot = no good pvp at level 1-50 which is where we really need growth.

So I'm sorry level 60's who want to AFK outside a raid zone and not risk their favorite item, but the rest of the server needs item loot to actually have a reason to play PVP instead of P99 blue.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Planar Protector

tl;dr server is fucked until huge fundamental changes go in which require rogean so ya not happening ever. This is the server where exp bonus was removed with no warning when pop was hitting record heights. It's been two years just to finally get one line of code for YT that won't go in until next patch which judging on past frequency could be months away. I hate to be negative, I liked this server, I like nilbog, I wanted it to succeed, but eventually you have to accept the truth and move on.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Aviak

But I don't wanna play nba2k13 : (
Old 05-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Banned

Won't you miss the 45 pals in team speak collecting DKP at faydedar?
Old 05-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Aviak

I won't miss them because they will still be there but with maybe some more dedicated band of bad guys trying to gank nice item loots from them.

I'll be level 12 wizard casting spells and running cuz im a brave fighter
Old 05-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Orc

As a relatively new player on this server please let me be the first person to tell you this is the worst idea I've ever heard. If you are trying to get new players to join a server with an established population (and established twink population at that) why the hell would you think item loot would work? The neck beards at the top can already just create untouchable low level alts to rape newbies in cloth armor for giggles. How much fun do you think it would be for that newbie to lose the bronze weapon he worked so hard for? The cracked staff? Gear is hard enough to acquire in EQ without the threat of losing it to better equipped twinks.

EFF.THAT.
Last edited by Grampy; 05-24-2013 at 05:44 PM..
Old 05-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Aviak

They already do that.

As a noob you have no items worth taking. As a twink they do. The money loot they get from you is worth more than anything to you as someone looking to buy the next levels spells.

trust me. The same guys killing you now are going to be the same guys killing you in the future. If you were rich and had good loot your aggro would increase. As a guy on first play through you won't have loot worth taking for a long time. Even sweet stuff like bloodstained mantle is worth very little with item loot enabled..guys PKing in unrest will have plenty of them.

The best thing about item loot is that it adjusts item prices and changes the economy. For our totally corpselike economy, this is a good thing.

Really.. the guys hunting you now are the same ones that are going to be hunting you when you have to risk your ringmail tunic. PK's won't give a shit about that stuff. They will still gank you for pride more than anything. Other twinks with ikky regens on the other hand will be a target for all. You might even get the kill shot on one of those players and get to swipe some good loot.

With item loot you actually have a reason to fight back rather than just flee.

edit - also coming from a guy in FOH your post is hilarious.
Last edited by Spike Spiegel; 05-24-2013 at 05:49 PM..
Old 05-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Banned

item loot and pvp do not mix

item loot at low levels maybe good idea def not at higher ones
Old 05-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Aviak

When velious release its easy enough to go 90% no drop at high levels. At low level, pvp makes sense.

Problem solved.

Like I said "sorry level 60's" the high end game is what it is. For every guy that logs in to server, plays for 1hr and then throws in towel, we are crippling ourself. For every guy who levels to 14 and gets beaten mercilessly with no hope of salvation in unrest, it is a tragedy.

Don't know what to say. It makes level 60 harder and makes ganking a way more popular option at lvl 60 but I feel that a healthy server with something to do sub level 60 is worth the sacrifice.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Banned

PvP dropped off when everything became no drop / augs could very quickly make anything no drop.

It was shit.
Closed Thread