Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
High Elves and Erudites, with a practical maximum of 85 strength each, are in my opinion slightly inadequate as Paladins without some twink gear. The Erudites in particular--being limited to medium armor--tend to lead hard lives if they don't have outside help.

Danth
While it may be true that a nekkid dwarf still has better stats than an Erudite wielding a Shield of the Stalwart Seas, the followers of the Ocean Lord harbor neither need nor want of charity. In the warm light of piety, we embrace the inept state of our fleshen forms standing resolute in the squall of adversity. And with the strong arm of Prexus we harness the fury of that storm that we might unleash such torment upon all foe of the sea. 'Ware the Deepwater zealot...
Old 08-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Higher str increases attack rating. Higher attack rating results in fewer misses. Fewer misses results in higher dps. That is the effect you see in parses. Str does not make you hit for more on normal hits ^^ that is the point that I was trying to make. Rogue backstab does however incorporate str in the dmg calc.

I agree with everything else you said ^^
Higher str does indeed make you hit for more on regular hits, or at least it did in classic and it has when i've parsed logs in the past here. Your max hit is higher, and your distribution shifts higher with it. (Unless Haynar has changed combat to be less classic, I haven't run a damage histogram here in a while, so that is possible but seems unlikely.)

One of the most obvious ways to observe this is to take a high teens char with maxed weapon and offense skills and str buffed high (say 180+) and you will see the occasional hit that exceeds the 28 (2*14) damage cap for levels 10-19. Fight with the same char and low (100-ish) str and you won't see any of those over cap hits.

I'll admit that I have never tested whether high str is any different from other ways to boost ATK rating (i.e. weapon & offense skills, wolfform & other buffs) in its effect on max hit. Certainly other boosts to ATK rating do shift hit distribution, just not sure if they affect max hit.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Str does not make you hit for more on normal hits ^^
Strength does absolutely make you hit more for normal hits.

Quote:
Higher attack rating results in fewer misses.
I believe miss calculations have to do with your weapon skill (1HS, 2HS) and level in relation to the mob. I've never heard of attack rating being a factor.

Quote:
Fewer misses results in higher dps.
Yeah, but "mob hate" is generated by the attempt to melee the mob, regardless of whether that hit lands or misses.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Truthbearer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I believe miss calculations have to do with your weapon skill (1HS, 2HS) and level in relation to the mob. I've never heard of attack rating being a factor..
Weapons skills increase attack rating. Attack Rating vs the target's AC is what determines a miss as well as damage.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
While it may be true that a nekkid dwarf still has better stats than an Erudite wielding a Shield of the Stalwart Seas, the followers of the Ocean Lord harbor neither need nor want of charity. In the warm light of piety, we embrace the inept state of our fleshen forms standing resolute in the squall of adversity. And with the strong arm of Prexus we harness the fury of that storm that we might unleash such torment upon all foe of the sea. 'Ware the Deepwater zealot...
This is a good post. It is unfortunate that the game's mechanics force an extra stiff degree of testing on you in exchange for being one of the two coolest looking paladin races.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:58 PM
Sarnak

If you don't care about min/maxing and want a more comfortable low-mid level experience then str is worth having. However, if you want to min/max for end game, then you need to max the more important stat which is stamina. Str buffs are also stupid easy to get.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:14 PM
Fire Giant

Go STA and be frustrated leveling up as you are constantly encumbered.
Go STR and be frustrated at 60 that you didn't go STA for that extra 100 HP.

Pick your poison. I went 20 strength myself because High Elves start with a miserable 65 base str, which I believe is the lowest of any melee class/race combo in the game. Having 85 was a significant boon to my quality of life leveling up. If you're starting from scratch on a weak race, I would consider it.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a good post. It is unfortunate that the game's mechanics force an extra stiff degree of testing on you in exchange for being one of the two coolest looking paladin races.
Such is the price of vanity ^^
Closed Thread