Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

Eve pvp was fun before the Russians discovered the internet
Old 03-18-2019, 01:54 PM
Aviak

Remove the fact this is an online game. I do not understand why people are trying to shame others for playing a game this old.

Right now you can go on streaming websites and watch people play classic video/computer games such as Pacman, Tetris, Donkey Kong, Solitaire, or Minesweeper. All five of those games are the definition of repetition. The levels are all the same, with just a slight variation that players can plan ahead for. And yet, these games are still as popular as ever in their classic formats.

Why stop at video games!? To this day people are still playing card games, which have been around since the Medieval Times!

People enjoy the game. End it there.

Baritune - level 60 Bard
Weegee - level 40 Wizard

Representing the Sanctuary Guild as an officer. We're a group friendly red players looking enjoy Project99 without the shackles of the blue servers rules!
Old 03-18-2019, 02:52 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clazxiss [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Remove the fact this is an online game. I do not understand why people are trying to shame others for playing a game this old.

Right now you can go on streaming websites and watch people play classic video/computer games such as Pacman, Tetris, Donkey Kong, Solitaire, or Minesweeper. All five of those games are the definition of repetition. The levels are all the same, with just a slight variation that players can plan ahead for. And yet, these games are still as popular as ever in their classic formats.

Why stop at video games!? To this day people are still playing card games, which have been around since the Medieval Times!

People enjoy the game. End it there.
I've still got my SNES hooked up and I'll pop in Yoshi's Island or Super Metroid from time to time.
P99ers do a lot of things well. Handling surprise adds / splitting up focus is not one of them. Mostly because the classes that do that the best (SK/Paladins) are generally trashed and considered useless, and because pulls are considered failures if a dragons doesn't appear at the zone line solo.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clazxiss [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've also never understood the reasoning behind shaming people for playing an old game. I can get a lot of the RNF arguments about spending too much time on the game or staring at wall or the repetition or whatever, but the fact that it's 20 years old...don't see why that's a bad thing.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matticas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've also never understood the reasoning behind shaming people for playing an old game. I can get a lot of the RNF arguments about spending too much time on the game or staring at wall or the repetition or whatever, but the fact that it's 20 years old...don't see why that's a bad thing.
Haha don't try to understand those folks... We all know those people are the minority, a real unhealthy minority.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:23 PM
Kobold

So many games that start out well and then kinda jump the shark way too early in their run. EQ managed to stay reasonably playable far longer than most.

Star Wars Galaxies and City of Heroes are two that come to mind for me.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What content could pantheon possibly release when you have kids playing games this much.
Simply put, the theme park ride MMO doesn't work unless you have a very large development team that can routinely crank out good quality content, simply put this is because players will chew thru their content far faster than they expect as well as can keep up with (Also...a large development team is of course...expensive) - In order for Pantheon to succeed it will need to work on and improve the sandbox model that Everquest had or possibly an even better Sandbox experiance than Everquest, just give players a world they want to interact with that provides them a meaningful experiance with a multitude of things to do, rather than funneling them into a few select theme park "rides = raids"

Also I'm not saying theme park style MMO raids cant be fun... I certainly had fun in a few of them, RIFT - Hammerknell raid was quite a lot of fun for me. But from a player perspective it seems like a unwinnable battle for the dev's to continually keep up with their player base, while also releasing good quality content that the players will like... Make the game too grindy or over-tuned raid encounters in order to try and time-gate the players artificially and the vast majority % of players feel left out and are unhappy with the game. Don't make it grindy or raid encounters hard enough and the players quickly reach the current "finish line" and want more content... if they don't get more content fast enough they start leaving the game
Foxlich [60 Necromancer] Foxplosion [60 Wizard]
Foxstab [60 Rogue] /Foxcharming [60 Enchanter] / Foxfrenzy [60 Warrior]
Old 03-18-2019, 05:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxplay [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Simply put, the theme park ride MMO doesn't work unless you have a very large development team that can routinely crank out good quality content, simply put this is because players will chew thru their content far faster than they expect as well as can keep up with (Also...a large development team is of course...expensive) - In order for Pantheon to succeed it will need to work on and improve the sandbox model that Everquest had or possibly an even better Sandbox experiance than Everquest, just give players a world they want to interact with that provides them a meaningful experiance with a multitude of things to do, rather than funneling them into a few select theme park "rides = raids"

Also I'm not saying theme park style MMO raids cant be fun... I certainly had fun in a few of them, RIFT - Hammerknell raid was quite a lot of fun for me. But from a player perspective it seems like a unwinnable battle for the dev's to continually keep up with their player base, while also releasing good quality content that the players will like... Make the game too grindy or over-tuned raid encounters in order to try and time-gate the players artificially and the vast majority % of players feel left out and are unhappy with the game. Don't make it grindy or raid encounters hard enough and the players quickly reach the current "finish line" and want more content... if they don't get more content fast enough they start leaving the game
Maybe have some randomness to the game. And also, make it so new content doesn't obsolete older content. Maybe level restrictions. Maybe have a decay on items based on the intended or mob level vs player level, or at least a degradation of stats based of the difference that will improve as the player increases levels and/or skills.

The main issues I see with Everquest, which is amplified on P99, is twinkage that allow players to take on content that was not intended, plus the knowledge of exactly what to expect from a mob or camp. Some randomness might help in that regard.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:35 PM
Sarnak

Why can't I edit the post I just made? I wanted to correct a typo, but no edit button.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldwin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why can't I edit the post I just made? I wanted to correct a typo, but no edit button.
Cause you're in RnF!
Closed Thread