Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 02:06 PM
Fire Giant

Welcome to the new staff! Look forward to interacting with you all!
Old 04-07-2019, 02:07 PM
Fire Giant

Everytime i see a new patch i get super excited, just to be shot down. I appreciate all the work you guys put in but man my bard/sk/paladin are really looking forward to the melee changes, i couldnt give two shits about updated chardok and new tov rules these days. I just want to hop on every once in a while and kill stuff with my nasty 2 handed sword without double attacking a fire beetle for 27 damage half the time.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:43 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupakk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With the server locked anything at the end game is going to be trivialize nothing can fix that.

Adding this condition just makes Coth racing a thing again.
Petition to not let trackers COTH. Everybody starts on the line for everything. Fun times for people exping in Sebilis.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:12 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nothing (again, short of mass player bannings) will change that. Every fix for the raid scene therefore must, by definition, be unclassic.
Having been part of the raid scene for the past year plus, I don't see why it needs "fixing". It's fun. No idea why non-classic changes are being made to a classic server in order to resolve issues that inherently exist in any MMO without instanced dungeons.

It seems to me that the server continues to head in a particular direction because the people tasked with policing things don't want to be bothered with all the crying anymore. This is certainly understandable, but if the goal here is to have zero CSR involvement in end-game raiding, just instance the dungeons and be done with it. This perma-root change is only going to cause different headaches, not less headaches.
Last edited by Vapos; 04-07-2019 at 03:19 PM..
Old 04-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Having been part of the raid scene for the past year plus, I don't see why it needs "fixing". It's fun. No idea why non-classic changes are being made to a classic server in order to resolve issues that inherently exist in any MMO without instanced dungeons.

It seems to me that the server continues to head in a particular direction because the people tasked with policing things don't want to be bothered with all the crying anymore. This is certainly understandable, but if the goal here is to have zero CSR involvement in end-game raiding, just instance the dungeons and be done with it. This perma-root change is only going to cause different headaches, not less headaches.
It needs fixing because the staff are overwhelmed. This is not my opinion, this is the staff's: it's the reason Sirken and Braknar tried to set rotations, and the reason why Rogean instituted the most recent changes.

As a player, I 100% agree that the raid scene is healthier than it's been in years. I've been here long enough to remember the TMO days, and I certainly don't pine for them (though I do miss class R/C).

However, as I've repeated many times, and will probably repeat many more, it could be much, much better. It could let far more people experience classic EverQuest raiding. Right now a few hundred people get to experience that. With a different system, those few hundred would have to share their loot with others, but in return 2x, 3x, or more people would get to experience classic EverQuest dragon killing.

So the "fix" part is a staff issue: I just think things could be better (while in no way denying that things still are better than they were) with a system that let more people enjoy this server and its goal. It just happens to be a convenient (or inconvenient, depending on who you ask) fact that switching to rotations would also happen to mean a ton less work for the staff (which of course is why Sirken and Braknar pushed so hard for them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This perma-root change is only going to cause different headaches, not less headaches.
You're preaching to the choir. In my opinion, what needs to change is our extremely limited definition of "competition". As long as that core part remains, every system will result in players acting like assholes, and starting fights which waste staff time.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-07-2019 at 03:38 PM..
Old 04-07-2019, 03:33 PM
Aviak

Default How do i install patch?

Some people are great with computers. Some people are not. I am not. I see the word patch and I know I am going to get pisssed off trying to make it work. Log in screen shows a noob ( 0 unknown class ) Unknown zone. ''Please visit project project1999.com and get the latest files from the getting started post''. Ok , easy enough. Rogean's post states ''The latest patch contains new required files. Download and extract the Project 1999 Files ( v47 ) to your EQ Titanium Directory.'' Ok sounds easy .. even has a quick link to the new files. I click link, stare at computer and wonder why nothing has changed. Than I notice a small box in the bottom left corner of the screen..hah version 47..cool. I click it and another screen comes up. Finally I see a button up top that says ''Extract files''...cool , I click it. Now the problems occurs... all I need to do is extract them to the EQ Titanium Directory , sounds easy. I browse and search all over for something named that and find nothing. Nothing is called that. No file in my whole computer is called that. How do I extract the files to the EQ Titanium Directory? Do I overwrite version 46? Do I extract to Everquest P1999 folder? And most importantly why aren't there instructions for something as simple as this? Not everyone is great with computers. What makes it worse is that I have done this process before and cant remember how!!
Old 04-07-2019, 03:33 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:

If anything this change actually makes the server closer to classic, people definitely weren't solo pulling all the tov dragons and killing them at entrance. Now guilds will do what they did back during live, kill the dragons in their lairs.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:42 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkemup [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some people are great with computers. Some people are not. I am not. I see the word patch and I know I am going to get pisssed off trying to make it work. Log in screen shows a noob ( 0 unknown class ) Unknown zone. ''Please visit project project1999.com and get the latest files from the getting started post''. Ok , easy enough. Rogean's post states ''The latest patch contains new required files. Download and extract the Project 1999 Files ( v47 ) to your EQ Titanium Directory.'' Ok sounds easy .. even has a quick link to the new files. I click link, stare at computer and wonder why nothing has changed. Than I notice a small box in the bottom left corner of the screen..hah version 47..cool. I click it and another screen comes up. Finally I see a button up top that says ''Extract files''...cool , I click it. Now the problems occurs... all I need to do is extract them to the EQ Titanium Directory , sounds easy. I browse and search all over for something named that and find nothing. Nothing is called that. No file in my whole computer is called that. How do I extract the files to the EQ Titanium Directory? Do I overwrite version 46? Do I extract to Everquest P1999 folder? And most importantly why aren't there instructions for something as simple as this? Not everyone is great with computers. What makes it worse is that I have done this process before and cant remember how!!
Sure, I can help with this:

1. Download the Project 1999 Files (V47)
2. Navigate to your Downloads folder (you'll want to empty this before)
3. Right-click and choose "Extract here" (I use 7-zip, but WinRar works great)
4. Copy all the files that were extracted, then navigate to your EverQuest directory (where you installed the game)
5. Paste the copied files in this folder and choose the "replace all files in this destination" option
6. Done!
Last edited by 1stCrusader; 04-07-2019 at 03:44 PM..
Old 04-07-2019, 03:52 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydef [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If anything this change actually makes the server closer to classic, people definitely weren't solo pulling all the tov dragons and killing them at entrance. Now guilds will do what they did back during live, kill the dragons in their lairs.
While it's true that crawling ToV is more classic than training mobs from stem to stern in ToV, rooting the dragons is certainly not classic. Several of the dragons require the raid to pull them to a certain point within (or a short distance outside) their lair to properly take advantage of LoS and other game mechanics. I think an extremely short leash for each dragon would be better than perma-rooting them, but this still does not tackle the issue of guilds leapfrogging one another.

Let's say everything in ToV is dead and Vulak pops. What's the situation? Guild A says "Going for Vulak!" and that's it? It's claimed? If not, guilds A, B and C are all going to start clearing trash mobs. This opens the door to accidental trains because guild A can't predict where guild B is going to be at any given moment. If this happens, is the guild who accidentally trained automatically DQ'd from Vulak, despite having no malicious intent?

Let's say guild A and guild B start clearing trash and guild A pulls the last 5-10 trash mobs while guild B is medding up / buffing. After the trash is dead, guild B can pull Vulak because guild A hasn't had a chance to med / buff. What's preventing this?
Last edited by Vapos; 04-07-2019 at 04:00 PM..
Old 04-07-2019, 04:00 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
While it's true that crawling ToV is more classic than training mobs from stem to stern in ToV, rooting the dragons is certainly not classic. Several of the dragons require the raid to pull them to a certain point within (or a short distance outside) their lair to properly take advantage of LoS and other game mechanics.

I think an extremely short leash for each dragon would be better than perma-rooting them, but this still does not tackle the issue of guilds leapfrogging one another. Let's say everything in ToV is dead and Vulak pops. What's the situation? Guild A says "Going for Vulak!" and that's it? It's claimed?

If not, guilds A, B and C are all going to start clearing trash mobs. This opens the door to accidental trains because guild A can't predict where guild B is going to be at any given moment. If this happens, is the guild who accidentally trained automatically DQ'd from Vulak, despite having no malicious intent?

Let's say guild A and guild B start clearing trash and guild A pulls the last 5-10 trash mobs while guild B is medding up / buffing. After the trash is dead, guild B can pull Vulak because guild A hasn't had a chance to med / buff. What's preventing this?
Aye, a short leash would certainly be better. There are definitely going to be things that will need to be ironed out as the weeks go by and people get a better feel of the new raid scene. Its a step in the right direction imho though.