Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 12-24-2014, 12:57 PM
Large Bat

Default MQ mobs with memory causing problems

I understand we're lucky to have MQs available to us, and I also understand that staff is no longer supporting people who have issues with MQs. (Well I just learned that yesterday).

The problem is MQ mobs have memory of item turn-ins for an undisclosed amount of time if the MQ wasn't completed. There's also no way for us to know if an MQ mob has already received items from a previous individual who didn't complete the MQ.

I will give you a scenario that happened to me yesterday, and resulted in me losing thousands of plat and 150+ hours of effort:

Monk Epic: Robe of Whistling Fists

1.) Player 1 (me) has Robe of the Lost Circle
2.) Player 2 and Player 3 have the chardok and KC pipe

Player 2 handed in the Chardok Pipe, Player 3 Handed in the KC Pipe and then I handed in the Robe. Before we knew what happened Player 2 received the Robe of Whistling Fists and Player 3 + Myself both lost our items.

This is a problem because an individual who was at the MQ mob earlier at some point didn't complete their turn-in. As a result we unknowingly proceeded with the MQ and it was completely botched because of the mob's memory of items - and I lost quite a bit.

Some sort of MQ memory timer is needed because this can result in a major loss to a lot of people like myself. Additionally, let me add that it's completely silly to provide a feature in a game and choose not to support it. (yes I know its a free game and I have donated to support this free game) A lot of guilds and people have monopolized epic mob camps so much that people have very little choice but to purchase MQ pieces.
Last edited by Tyrsis; 12-24-2014 at 01:03 PM..
Old 12-24-2014, 01:50 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds classic / working as intended to me.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds classic / working as intended to me.
Did the staff not support MQ problems on live? It may be a classic feature but a classic feature without support isn't classic.
Last edited by Tyrsis; 12-24-2014 at 02:31 PM..
Old 12-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Additionally, let me add that it's completely silly to provide a feature in a game and choose not to support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrsis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did the staff not support MQ problems? It may be a classic feature but a classic feature without support isn't classic.
EQ live staff did not support mqing, if that is what you're asking.

Regarding the issue at hand, it is classic for npcs to keep memory of what quest items have been turned in while they are alive. However, once an npc is dead, that should clear its memory. I do not believe that is currently happening.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

The real question is; Who would randomly turn in one of the pipes or the robe without the intent to complete the turn-in? (The person before you)
Old 12-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The real question is; Who would randomly turn in one of the pipes or the robe without the intent to complete the turn-in? (The person before you)
I thought the same thing then noticed that the naming of the pipes is wrong in the wiki. Both pipes from chardok and KC are named "A Metal Pipe" in-game. You have to use the identify spell to figure out which is which.

However, on the wiki the chardok one is named "Metal Pipe" and the KC one is called "A Metal Pipe". So im assuming there was some confusion there and someone didn't have the right pipes.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

EQ live staff did not support mqing, if that is what you're asking.

Regarding the issue at hand, it is classic for npcs to keep memory of what quest items have been turned in while they are alive. However, once an npc is dead, that should clear its memory. I do not believe that is currently happening.
So there's a possibility that when the mob is killed the memory isn't being wiped. So every monk that wanted to attempt an MQ turn-in on that particular mob would have lost their items as well?

This seems like a relatively serious bug.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrsis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought the same thing then noticed that the naming of the pipes is wrong in the wiki. Both pipes from chardok and KC are named "A Metal Pipe" in-game. You have to use the identify spell to figure out which is which.

However, on the wiki the chardok one is named "Metal Pipe" and the KC one is called "A Metal Pipe". So im assuming there was some confusion there and someone didn't have the right pipes.
So perhaps they turned in 2 of the same "Metal pipe"? That sucks. I wonder how many others have been burned on this MQ
Old 12-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
So there's a possibility that when the mob is killed the memory isn't being wiped. So every monk that wanted to attempt an MQ turn-in on that particular mob would have lost their items as well?

This seems like a relatively serious bug.
Only if the quest has yet to be completed, then the remaining items would be kept into the next spawn. This is what I've heard is happening, and what is bug reported elsewhere.

i.e.
-Someone turns in a pipe.
-Realize they do not the other pieces.
-Logs off so so mad.
-Someone else comes along.. and is like, I'm gonna make sure this works correctly! Let's kill the npc so it respawns clean. The newly spawned one would still have the original pipe.

The death clear is being looked into by Haynar, I think.

Regardless, doing a quest properly, and without mqing it, will always result in the reward. When the quest is completed, the component array should be cleared.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Banned

or maybe (hear me out) the other guy who got the robe, set your ass up!