Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 09:07 PM
Planar Protector

Ultimately I think the challenge has to be a personal thing. Sure if you want to make forum post because you're the first _______ to kill __________, that's fun, and people might want to see your fraps. And maybe if the first person did it with Puppet Strings, and you didn't, that might be worth sharing too.

But does anyone honestly care if person #16 has fraps of himself killing Lodizal, or what buffs they had on, or how many potions they used to do so?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So really I think the details mostly aren't important, because the whole thing is a personal challenge. But ... people do want to communicate what they've accomplished, and "I soloed Lodizal" means something very different when you mean "with full raid buffs, puppet strings, a reaper, 18x wort potions, ..." vs. when you mean "self-buffed only, with no consumables".

So, I don't think anyone should be in the business of saying "your solo accomplishment doesn't count because I'm the judge and I decided so." I just think it'd be handy if we could have a consistent way of saying "I soloed X with Y conditions as a Z". That way if we have any kind of log in the wiki, or if I make "Achievement Templates" for people to add to their Magelo, or whatever, what exactly the person accomplished would be clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception
except for patently silly stuff like clerics soloing stuff
I have to say, I think EVERY class should be able to compete in the challenge. Cleric soloing is impressive, in it's own way: they just have a different scale from (say) Shaman.

And similarly, I think other conditions besides class could be taken to some interesting places. For instance, I'd be interested in seeing a whole new category of the challenge that takes "no consumables" a step further: the naked solo artist challenge!

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-14-2019 at 09:10 PM..
Old 10-14-2019, 09:36 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Eh. I get those complaints. But it's not like ploktor (I don't remember daldaen doing the challenge; he's not on the front page Hall of Fame anyway) with puppet strings breaking into fear wasn't still a hell of a feat, or Svenn dragging a useable pet all the way down to trak's lair to use against prot, even if it involves strings. I really don't remember soulfire spam or other things being very prevalent in general, except for patently silly stuff like clerics soloing stuff. And contributors did qualify their kills that required old invis pulls or strong clickies. Everyone who worked seriously on the SAC did it because it was fun for then and was up front about their kills.

Pathing exploits are lame for sure. I didn't remember Petros using those. I think it was Petros who solod Estrella, anyway.

I don't recall many/any people killing stuff with outside buffs and claiming it was solo. And again, if they did, they had to qualify their kill as assisted.

If I roll a chanter on green, I'll put in an effort to revive the challenge with new mechanics considered a d whatnot.
I am gladly derailing my own thread just to say I'm a big fan of your channel
Old 10-14-2019, 10:00 PM
Sarnak

Really there would need to be different classes, one for clickies, assisted, and true solo.
When you incorporate soulfires/strings/300k in enchanter pet gear ect it changes the playing field completely.

Also need more love for the druids and mages, they can solo some of the stuff on the grand master list.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:14 PM
Sarnak

The only really important thing is including all relevant information when relaying how something was solo'd, for a given value of solo'd.

If you need things other than your gear and clicking auto attack (and relevant spells and skills) then say what you needed.

Otherwise you give people a false impression of what's actually capable of happening, and under what conditions.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpromise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am gladly derailing my own thread just to say I'm a big fan of your channel
Lol. Well that's better than us ending up in r&f I'd say! At least we're still on a related subject [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

@loramin, i think you basically did describe the original SAC. What you are talking about is how all the participants, to my knowledge, approached it. It was just a handful of whiners who ever said anything different. The chanter and shaman dudes in there, mo and loraen and svenn and everyone, we always begged for there to be more necros, druids, and more giving it a whirl. When an oddball class had a cool kill, or a lowbie had a tough fight, we all gave congrats. When someone duod ragefire but needed prenerf donals, everyone understood it was fun but different than if it'd been done without infinite CHs, etc.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:17 PM
Aviak

I like how Fright and Dread are on the "Solo God Mode" list. Dumb lists are dumb.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonark [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only really important thing is including all relevant information when relaying how something was solo'd, for a given value of solo'd.

If you need things other than your gear and clicking auto attack (and relevant spells and skills) then say what you needed.

Otherwise you give people a false impression of what's actually capable of happening, and under what conditions.
Yeah. This is what we did. The only people who ever bitched "oh wow, you guys think you're so good because you can exploit soulfire and item recharging to beat a 20 year old game" were retards who never actually read the thread and understood what we were doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaki [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like how Fright and Dread are on the "Solo God Mode" list. Dumb lists are dumb.
The challenge is from like 7 years ago. Fear hadn't been revamped yet. People did solo them. Like I was just saying, the people bitching about the SAC were/are the ones who don't have a clue about what was going on.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 10-14-2019 at 10:22 PM..
Old 10-14-2019, 10:25 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The challenge is from like 7 years ago. Fear hadn't been revamped yet. People did solo them. Like I was just saying, the people bitching about the SAC were/are the ones who don't have a clue about what was going on.
The challenge isn't from "7 years ago" if it includes Velious shit. It's currently an absolute mess of a mix between old and new "challenges". Dumb lists are dumb.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, I don't think anyone should be in the business of saying "your solo accomplishment doesn't count because I'm the judge and I decided so."
I solo'ed LTK on my rogue...proof isn't required. Anyone who questions it gets pointed to that quote [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

LTK stats according to wiki:-

Quote:
AC: 1057
HP: 201500
Damage per hit: 440 - 600
Attacks per round: 4
Special: Enrage, Summon, Immune to Flee, Uncharmable,
Unfearable, Unsnareable, Unmezzable, Unstunnable, Unslowable, See Invis, See Hide
For something big a video is awesome not just for verification but for admiration purposes <3
Old 10-15-2019, 12:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaki [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The challenge isn't from "7 years ago" if it includes Velious shit. It's currently an absolute mess of a mix between old and new "challenges". Dumb lists are dumb.
There are links at the top, both to the original forum thread, and to the http://wiki.project1999.com/Solo_Art...ge_(Kunark_Era) page, which just has the original list.

The page http://wiki.project1999.com/Solo_Artist_Challenge is explicitly about:

Quote:
serv[ing] as a starting point for the Velious-era challenge. Please feel free to edit it, so long as you are being respectful of the conversation here
So of course as a work in progress it looks like ... just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For something big a video is awesome not just for verification but for admiration purposes <3
Absolutely:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sure if you want to make forum post because you're the first _______ to kill __________, that's fun, and people might want to see your fraps. And maybe if the first person did it with Puppet Strings, and you didn't, that might be worth sharing too.
I'm just saying a lot of people besides the firsts are going to want to try and be solo artists. I personally don't plan to be "first" to do anything, but I still want to try doing tough fights, even though others did them already. For "non-first solo artists", I don't see any point to a "fraps or it didn't happen" mentality. If some loser wants to claim they soloed something they didn't, who cares?

It shouldn't in any way affect the fun of everyone else actually doing the challenge. If it does, you're taking what amounts to "speed running", in a 20 year old video game, and not even for first place ... way too seriously.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-15-2019 at 01:24 AM..
Closed Thread