Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 09:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played here to see what all this talk was about and it is not overpopulated. I had a blast
Best sentiment ever. I enjoyed my troll time there so much. I am torn between warrior, sk, or cleric for some actual hardcore group grinding. As an alt.

Possibly another rogue. Or even ranger or bard. Classic tradeskills got me hooked deep.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:20 PM
Banned

1500 on right now but only because of covid

great time to release red 2.0
Old 04-12-2020, 09:25 PM
Sarnak

Consider blue.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i atually had a gm come to qeynos aquaducts and do the whole dispute thing over the smugglers down there on bertox on live on my lvl 15 pally soooo ymmv
The period that guy is referring to is the period right when the game was released. There were no rules in place because it was the first game of its kind really and the CSR staff had no idea about how big of dicks people on the Internet could be. They didn't conceive of the various ways that people would abuse the game's mechanics and grief others because griefing as a concept didn't even exist yet so they didn't think about it.

So what happened was you had GMs on different servers enforcing things different ways for a period of time. Some were more stringent than others. However, the rules/play nice policy were quickly put in place and guided how we resolved disputes in game from then on.

So that person's claim that there were never any rules in classic EQ is just completely false.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The period that guy is referring to is the period right when the game was released. There were no rules in place because it was the first game of its kind really and the CSR staff had no idea about how big of dicks people on the Internet could be. They didn't conceive of the various ways that people would abuse the game's mechanics and grief others because griefing as a concept didn't even exist yet so they didn't think about it.

So what happened was you had GMs on different servers enforcing things different ways for a period of time. Some were more stringent than others. However, the rules/play nice policy were quickly put in place and guided how we resolved disputes in game from then on.

So that person's claim that there were never any rules in classic EQ is just completely false.
Maybe he wants it to be like the brief period where there was no rules, coming hot off the heels of UO and the ways in which people 'griefed' each other in that game. A precedent was already set but perhaps it wasn't complained about as much. EQ picked up a bigger playerbase.

College PKers on their campus T1 connections.
Last edited by Mblake81; 04-13-2020 at 12:52 PM..
Old 04-13-2020, 02:52 PM
Skeleton

I'd like to see proof of the classic numbers, because all I'm seeing is a lot of anecdotes saying 'yeah it was crazy in the day' bla bla. I have looked for a definitive list of pre-Kunark numbers on wayback and the amount of servers they have and I haven't found any. If people have proof that the servers were 2k strong back then, by all means...

And yeah, I remember that the servers DID get really popular, but not at launch-- a lot of it was when word of mouth got around about the game, I remember it being really high when Kunark launched-- but by then we had a ton of servers and way more zones and level ranges. Also most of the 2k strong server were all rolling lizards at that point, not effing around Antonica.

In classic, I remember about 1k per server and they were very quick to release new servers as numbers increased. I remember places pretty full, but not everyone on top of each other like it is now. It was not 30+ people per zone. Again, if I'm mis-remembering, fair enough, but I'd really like to see a list of servers and numbers pre Paineel etc.

Also, I remember when Kerafrym was taken down and they were talking about it afterwards-- that they were cycling 180 people and how strained the server was-- and I was just boggled by the number of people they got for that raid. I remember everyone was kind of awed at the sheer number of people. And this is Velious era, not classic, at the peak of Everquests popularity and with way more zones and servers.

So I just I estimated the number of 'hunting' type zones in classic (excluding city zones) according to ZAMs 'sever by expansion' list, at about 46 zones or so (I might have missed a couple, I excluded things like paineel, the hole, gloomingdeep etc). Given there's 1100 people on green right now, that's around 26 people per zone. So if everyone on green spread out evenly between every single zone right now, there would still be 6.5 groups per zone-- off peak. Even if I include city (approx 70 zones in classic) that's still like 15 or so people to every classic zone, off peak. On peak is what? 1800 people? So on peak means the average is approx 25 people per every zone, or 38 people per zone in the 'hunting/ZEM' zones. That's... crazy to be honest.

I don't remember the numbers reflecting that amount of people back in the day--especially not pre-Paineel. As I said, 180 people raiding was crazy to me at the time, and that was Velious. EDIT: (As an addendum to this, I remember reading that the zone was straining to accommodate the 180 people because the max per zone was 200 or so back then-- I believe there is proof of that in articles, so to the person saying 'EC had like 300 people in classic!' no, pretty sure it didn't. I would say it barely had 180 at peak times.)

Dunno, personally I think another server is needed but I don't care if they don't open one, except that my weekly EQ group will have to reroll on Blue and abandon our mains for now, which kinda sucks. But it's whatever.

That's just my thoughts on it. As I said I could be totally mis-remembering.
Last edited by lesell; 04-13-2020 at 03:06 PM..
Old 04-13-2020, 03:56 PM
Planar Protector

Green (and to a greater extent, teal) were incredibly fun for a few months but I was slowly but surely becoming incredibly turned off by the community. I guess when you pit a bunch of hardcore eq players together(face it, casual or not...if you’re playing here you probably really really like this game) with the possibility of legacy items you should expect that. I just started enjoying my time on the server less and less and stopped logging in all together.

Came back to blue tho and have been having a real good time. The community feels more like eq to me and I find myself logging in once again.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Last edited by Evia; 04-13-2020 at 03:59 PM..
Old 04-13-2020, 05:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Green (and to a greater extent, teal) were incredibly fun for a few months but I was slowly but surely becoming incredibly turned off by the community. I guess when you pit a bunch of hardcore eq players together(face it, casual or not...if you’re playing here you probably really really like this game) with the possibility of legacy items you should expect that. I just started enjoying my time on the server less and less and stopped logging in all together.

Came back to blue tho and have been having a real good time. The community feels more like eq to me and I find myself logging in once again.
Blue seems to be thriving again. Upwards of 1000 concurrent players the past few days.

I enjoy playing on Blue but it's certainly a different experience. Especially sub-50 due to the extreme twinkage goin on there - the leveling is much quicker because of that as well.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:22 PM
Planar Protector

I guess it depends on what you want, both servers seem to cater to slightly different albiet co-mingly demographics. So far my experience on green has been super chill though I don't go out of my way to interact with people lol.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:39 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragged [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was it Kenkoy?

Also what was your name and guild on Brell? (Fragged/Aikons here)
The Wizard's name was Shamrocks, Gnome.

Zephire Glademist Ranger on Brell. Founded of The Sentinels of Tunare. Was also in Iron Throne and spent a short time in Silent Redemption prior to Kunark releasing. Quit playing for a few months then re-rolled a Warrior on Luclin.
Closed Thread