Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 03:53 PM
Fire Giant

Saying a number before the roll doesn’t fix it. Variables exist in software programming for a reason.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:54 PM
Fire Giant

coth races are harder to cheat on than races

heard it here first, from a dying guild
Old 02-08-2022, 03:55 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nah, you have equitable solutions instead of free pixels. That's all they really want.
So are you saying that if we were to remove the ability to cheat, everyone else would get all the pixels?
Old 02-08-2022, 03:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrcfrx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
coth racing has a few things in it's favor, imo:

1) to the extent that the coth can also be scripted, the cothee still has to not fumble it once they land and get FTE (granted, this is less relevant now that kael FTE's come with a 5 minute lockout).

2) to the extent coth racing is also suspect, the distribution of winners was spread out more evenly, which suggests a more fair system. If we can't have faith in either coth races or footraces, we might as well choose the one that had the largest variety in individuals who could win it.

3) the barrier to coth racing is much much lower than footracing (which probably goes a long way towards explaining why the distribution of winners is more spread out). to the extent what the devs (and Vanq., at least so they claim) want is a competitive environment, lower barriers of entry to the competition themselves will promote rather than hinder that goal.
Coth Racing would only be more inclusive if there were 24 hour lockouts or something.

But, if you think a .15ms advantage of pressing W before others is game breaking, think about the advantage of 24/7 ability to coth. Never has to pee, doesn't watch netflix, doesn't get bored, doesn't get tired. There is a reason they swiftly and abruptly removed it.

Trust me cothing isn't the way.

However, I think my solution really would cut out a lot of questions. If you do a roll off in an enviroment such as this, the possibility of cheating becomes very very low.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:56 PM
Planar Protector

Can't believe why no one wants to raid here and why the staff has given up answering petitions - its all quite perplexing
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 02-08-2022, 03:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrcfrx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Forget Vanquish, forget Stunningly, forget Riot and everyone else. You're still doing the thing I pointed out initially - conflating the question of "does Stunningly cheat?" with the other, more important question "is it possible to cheat?" Yes, it is possible and apparently very easy to do. That by itself is enough to call into question the legitimacy of footraces with a /random as the start condition.
This is the root of your whole problem. You're pretending like these are the same question and that the answer to one positively answers the other. Nobody is questioning whether or not it is possible to cheat, but that's not the question asked in the video, is it?

I have yet to see anybody from Riot proposing changes to foot races in the proper channels, and if they did so, they would promptly be shot down (and rightfully so) based on Riot's own former precedent.

My guess is that you see the cheating angle as a way to automatically get the changes you want. It's too bad the GMs saw right through your scam.

Btw, Nibblewitz brought up lockouts. Not me.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:58 PM
Fire Giant

It’s a feature, not a bug.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:00 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Saying a number before the roll doesn’t fix it. Variables exist in software programming for a reason.
it could, you can switch up the way you tell relay what winning number it will be this week, so that you couldn't program a if 5xx then etc etc.

"The number is 6 - 2zz"

The program would need to know what the winning number is.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is the root of your whole problem. You're pretending like these are the same question and that the answer to one positively answers the other. Nobody is questioning whether or not it is possible to cheat, but that's not the question asked in the video, is it?
I'm explicitly stating that these are two different questions raised by the OP's video, and have repeatedly said that the questions about Stunningly the individual are not especially meaningful as compared to the questions about cheating in races, generally. I don't really care, ultimately, if Stunningly is scripting his race starts or not (although, as stated, i find the evidence in favor of him doing that to be persuasive). I'm more concerned about how we can have any faith in footraces as a fair metric for competing for FTE now. We can't, because as Kickenit and Joria have shown, it is very easy to cheat. Nobody is questioning that it's possible to cheat - in other words, you agree that cheating at footraces is both possible and very easy to do?

[QUOTE=Samoht;3421020]I have yet to see anybody from Riot proposing changes to foot races in the proper channels, and if they did so, they would promptly be shot down (and rightfully so) based on Riot's own former precedent.[/QUOTE=Samoht]

OP stated he sent this all to the GM's months ago. What other channels would be "proper" in your view, and had this been raised in those channels would your opinion change? This feels like a meaningless deflection. Why should "Riot's own former precedent" determine whether or not the GM's change the ruleset?

[QUOTE=Samoht;3421020]My guess is that you see the cheating angle as a way to automatically get the changes you want. It's too bad the GMs saw right through your scam.[QUOTE=Samoht]

More strawmanning and and personal attacks. You acknowledge above that cheating is possible, so what is the scam exactly? Why can't you just engage with this subject honestly? (that's a rhetorical question, I understand why you won't).

Quote:
Btw, Nibblewitz brought up lockouts. Not me.
ok?
Old 02-08-2022, 04:16 PM
Fire Giant

KT should reset if pulled past archway.
AoW should reset if pulled past see invis.

When people were using pixel detection software for coths we got races. Now that people are scripting races, it's time to start fighting the mobs upstairs first in force like we used to do at the start of velious.