Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

View Poll Results: At what point is it better to start on the blue server instead of green?
Never, stay the course 36 32.73%
When the sleeper is awake 15 13.64%
Go to blue now for (reasons) 37 33.64%
Try red instead 22 20.00%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 12:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synphul [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure what about my post upset you or why you took from my post that I think they are going to have a bunch of PVE servers when my post explicitly states I'd be surprise to see them open ANY new servers. All I see with them merging servers is dev/CSR headaches, but they can do whatever they want. And not being 100% confident they will merge just because a 2 year old post says so has precendent because they have changed their mind on things in the past - Discord server anyone? I will embrace greenies with open arms on blue.
I mean nothing you're saying really makes sense. They are going to pay to maintain two pve servers locked at Velious and just have the population split across them? Why? For what purpose? The merging doesn't really create any headaches, they've said in the past it's pretty easy to do (they did it super easily with Teal, for example).

The only "headache" it creates is people who have maximum characters on their account on Blue (which is probably relatively few people because most people use a lot of different accounts) and so their Green char can't merge in without deleting a char on Blue, and to be fair this was an issue that was flagged up front before Green launched so if you didn't listen to the staff at that time the fault is on you.

The goal of P99 has always been to do classic progression servers. Blue was the beta and Green was the first true attempt. Why would they suddenly go away from that goal and just keep two PVE servers locked at the same stage of the game forever? Why would they pay for that lol
Old 07-13-2021, 02:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Meh TLPs bore me. They seem even more pointless because you know they will be 100% ghost towns in like a year or whatever when the next TLP comes out. At least with Blue you know there will always be people there
Aradune outnumbers Blue/Green/Red combined x2 minimum on a nightly basis even over a year after release.

Scene is lightyears better than this one. Planes of Power is the shit; can't wait for GoD/OoW era in the fall.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graahle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Aradune outnumbers Blue/Green/Red combined x2 minimum on a nightly basis even over a year after release.

Scene is lightyears better than this one. Planes of Power is the shit; can't wait for GoD/OoW era in the fall.
Yeah but there are so many things that suck about TLP due to not being classic. If TLP is so fun why are you even here? lol
Old 07-13-2021, 03:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah but there are so many things that suck about TLP due to not being classic. If TLP is so fun why are you even here? lol
Because I used to play here a lot I can? Why does it matter to you? Forums are more interesting anyways.

If anybody here really cared about classic then they would be playing TAKP, but they're not.

Have you even tried a TLP? The usual "I played (insert TLP here) for 5 minutes, saw revamped commonlands/freeport and got so upset I murdered my family while screaming NOT CLASSSSICCC and logged off" doesn't count.

edit: to answer OP, I voted Try Red. If I had to pick a PvE server, I would probably say if you're brand new just roll Blue. If you have friends established on Green already and they can spot you with some starter gear/plat then go Green.
Last edited by Graahle; 07-13-2021 at 03:33 PM..
Old 07-13-2021, 03:51 PM
Aviak

Quote:
The goal of P99 has always been to do classic progression servers. Blue was the beta and Green was the first true attempt. Why would they suddenly go away from that goal and just keep two PVE servers locked at the same stage of the game forever? Why would they pay for that lol
It's not really that difficult to understand, my friend. Aside from the issue you pointed out which I doubt would be a quick and easy fix, you also have to rename a very large number of the characters being merged. Sure, they could probably automate an X at the end of everyone's name, but then who's going to take the time to rename at least 1000+ characters after the merge, or is everyone just stuck with CharacterX? Then the next merge is just CharacterXX? Is a guide going to sit there for 20 minutes while the player tries to find a name that isn't already in use on a name-diluted server? Are you going to have to petition here on the forums and exponentially increase the petition volume that already gets handled at a snails pace only to find out the name you want is already in use? Implementing any kind of system to do this is going to be a headache/time consuming to an already exasperated volunteer staff.

The recycle/dump system they envision is wonderful in theory, but doesn't make a lot of sense with how invested people get in their characters in EQ and would result in a final product far from any kind of classic experience they tout here except on the active recycle server. (The 'hard time of year' situation even shows that the staff understands how invested people are here) And I think you'd be surprised how many people have accounts with near the max amount of toons. I'm not one of them, but I know at least a handful of people that have stuck to one account. The allure of different accounts on live was so that one could box, and so with the no boxing rule here, what's the incentive for the majority of casual Joe's to split their toons among multiple accounts? And if you could only re-use your Blue name on the same account, what do you think happened when they started Green? You can't only look at it from the perspective of a P99 raider where people plan to share the shit out of accounts.

Blue is by many in the community considered the Beta/Test and Green the official release. BAM!, P99's mission is officially accomplished after pushing out a timeline accurate classic server as was the original intent. Where they go from here is just extra icing. We also already see that at least some of the dev interest has waned in the last half a decade, so the merge solutions would have to be simple and would have to keep the player from feeling like all the work they did on Green was for nothing.

You also seem to think that Blue and Green aren't two different beasts altogether, which is an incorrect assessment, so why not keep both alive as long as donations are sufficient? Blue has unclassic things that Green will never have, let alone its own unique history, so they aren't just copies of eachother. Add to that that no one really knows the limits of the Daybreak agreement, so none of us can say with any certainty what will really happen. Just because Rog said something, in reality it maybe has a 50/50 chance of actually happening that way based on precedent. Why do you think he interacts with the community so rarely? I suspect it is likely because us nerds take everything he says as gospel and when it doesn't work out the way Rog said to the letter, everyone loses their shit.

When you say 'who will pay for that lol' the answer is the people playing on it because we know that otherwise all our hard work goes away. This is EQ and we are some of the hardcorest of the hardcore nerds that love this game during this era. I will probably continue to donate indefinitely because I would hate to see my characters disappear, but I'm not naive enough to believe that at some point they will most likely not poof. If Rog and Nil said they wanted to walk away today and hand off the reigns, I would 100% be in the gaggle of nerds trying to step up to keep things going.

With all of that said, if you haven't donated in a while, hit the Donate button on the front page so we aren't all here talking about how cool P99 used to be, instead of how cool it is.
Last edited by Synphul; 07-13-2021 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: Words are hard...
Old 07-13-2021, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synphul [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not really that difficult to understand, my friend. Aside from the issue you pointed out which I doubt would be a quick and easy fix, you also have to rename a very large number of the characters being merged. Sure, they could probably automate an X at the end of everyone's name, but then who's going to take the time to rename at least 1000+ characters after the merge, or is everyone just stuck with CharacterX? Then the next merge is just CharacterXX? Is a guide going to sit there for 20 minutes while the player tries to find a name that isn't already in use on a name-diluted server? Are you going to have to petition here on the forums and exponentially increase the petition volume that already gets handled at a snails pace only to find out the name you want is already in use? Implementing any kind of system to do this is going to be a headache/time consuming to an already exasperated volunteer staff.
They've said they can automate an X at the end of the name so that's what happens. Doesn't need to be done manually. Everyone knew that would be what happened, so if you created a character with the same name and don't like having an X at the end of your name after the merge (honestly, who really cares) then that's the player's fault. This isn't really a headache for the staff...you make another clarification post on the announcements board restating what you said at the beginning of Green and then you don't have to answer any petitions. Problem solved.

Quote:
The recycle/dump system they envision is wonderful in theory, but doesn't make a lot of sense with how invested people get in their characters in EQ and would result in a final product far from any kind of classic experience they tout here except on the active recycle server. (The 'hard time of year' situation even shows that the staff understands how invested people are here) And I think you'd be surprised how many people have accounts with near the max amount of toons. I'm not one of them, but I know at least a handful of people that have stuck to one account. The allure of different accounts on live was so that one could box, and so with the no boxing rule here, what's the incentive for the majority of casual Joe's to split their toons among multiple accounts? And if you could only re-use your Blue name on the same account, what do you think happened when they started Green? You can't only look at it from the perspective of a P99 raider where people plan to share the shit out of accounts.
Really? People are soooo invested that they never play a different server? Really? If that was the case no one would ever play the new TLP. No one would have played Green. They would stick to their original account with their original characters. And when the merge happens your char doesn't get deleted, you can still play it. There are very limited instances where people don't use multiple accounts AND also have that account completely full of characters they play all the time. This is even more true after the under level 10 character purge that the staff conducted pre-Green...most accounts will now have at least one slot open and, if they don't, at least one of the slots is occupied by a random mule or very low level alt that the account holder never plays. Those can be easily deleted to make room for your character from Green.

Again, if you ignored the warnings from the staff that were very clear at the start of Green and made more characters on your Green account than can fit on the same Blue account, that's your fault. If there's one thing we know the staff doesn't really care about, it's players who whine about something that was their fault in the first place.

Quote:
Blue is by many in the community considered the Beta/Test and Green the official release. BAM!, P99's mission is officially accomplished after pushing out a timeline accurate classic server as was the original intent. Where they go from here is just extra icing. We also already see that at least some of the dev interest has waned in the last half a decade, so the merge solutions would have to be simple and would have to keep the player from feeling like all the work they did on Green was for nothing.
Any work you do on a progression servers is always technically "for nothing". You play to enjoy the game and then you move on to the next progression server. They'll merge Green into Blue and make a new progression server as they've previously stated. Everything you say about this is baseless conjecture considering the statements the staff have made lol.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:00 PM
Aviak

Quote:
We'll have to wait and see, I suppose. I think you're only looking at it from your own experience and ignoring a large group of the playerbase that exists and plays outside of your 'way'. I don't think as many people around here chase the next TLP as you think. The majority of players I know in game don't and there isn't a large presence of people here on the forums that seem to, either, just a vocal few. Below are the words directly from P99's "About Project1999" page. This was the original intent of P99 as stated by the creators and what new players see when they come here. The recycle/TLP thing you're fixated on came later because it sounded like a good idea and they've been trying to come up with a way to make it work but obviously have not yet hammered out all the details. I believe the staff has even cast uncertainty themselves on the future of Green in some buried posts that maybe I'll dig up later for you when I have more time.

As we know from years of precedent, ideas outside of the original scope of the project grow and die at a similar rate - the original scope is the only thing that has held true for a decade. To think that they will just completely ignore the will of the playerbase entirely in regards to the future of the project is naive and disregards years of precedent as there are multiple instances of decisions being swayed by the sentiments of the playerbase. Nothing outside of this original scope is guaranteed, and as I mentioned before, just because Nil/Rog has an idea, even stated as going to happen, doesn't mean it will. How do you explain the Discord server? It even went as far as being listed on main page before being cancelled. Surely that should have happend if they 100% follow through with what they say in forum posts or roundtables. Things change, their ideas change, their lives change, and their plans change, except for this;

Project 1999 started development in 2008, and was released in October of 2009. The mission of the project is to create the classic feeling that many had during the early days of Everquest during those time periods, starting with Classic content and releasing the other expansions and content on a similar timeline that was experienced on Live. The server will stop at Velious, at which point many options will be considered, including possible custom content that will maintain the spirit of the game, and/or an additional new server starting over at Pre-Kunark.

Congratulations on Mission Accomplished, P99 Team!
Old 07-13-2021, 11:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
We'll have to wait and see, I suppose. I think you're only looking at it from your own experience and ignoring a large group of the playerbase that exists and plays outside of your 'way'. I don't think as many people around here chase the next TLP as you think. The majority of players I know in game don't and there isn't a large presence of people here on the forums that seem to, either, just a vocal few. Below are the words directly from P99's "About Project1999" page. This was the original intent of P99 as stated by the creators and what new players see when they come here. The recycle/TLP thing you're fixated on came later because it sounded like a good idea and they've been trying to come up with a way to make it work but obviously have not yet hammered out all the details. I believe the staff has even cast uncertainty themselves on the future of Green in some buried posts that maybe I'll dig up later for you when I have more time.

As we know from years of precedent, ideas outside of the original scope of the project grow and die at a similar rate - the original scope is the only thing that has held true for a decade. To think that they will just completely ignore the will of the playerbase entirely in regards to the future of the project is naive and disregards years of precedent as there are multiple instances of decisions being swayed by the sentiments of the playerbase. Nothing outside of this original scope is guaranteed, and as I mentioned before, just because Nil/Rog has an idea, even stated as going to happen, doesn't mean it will. How do you explain the Discord server? It even went as far as being listed on main page before being cancelled. Surely that should have happend if they 100% follow through with what they say in forum posts or roundtables. Things change, their ideas change, their lives change, and their plans change, except for this;

Project 1999 started development in 2008, and was released in October of 2009. The mission of the project is to create the classic feeling that many had during the early days of Everquest during those time periods, starting with Classic content and releasing the other expansions and content on a similar timeline that was experienced on Live. The server will stop at Velious, at which point many options will be considered, including possible custom content that will maintain the spirit of the game, and/or an additional new server starting over at Pre-Kunark.

Congratulations on Mission Accomplished, P99 Team!
Except they said they hope to use lessons learned in green to make the next server better…
Old 07-16-2021, 12:07 PM
Aviak

Totally didn't start a new account before making toons on green. I'm boned. Lol
Old 07-17-2021, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graahle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

yeah outnumbers it due to its box armies (not allowed but also not policed)
Closed Thread