Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 06:27 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Old School EQ considering returning

Hey All.

I played back in the early 2000's. Started just prior to Velious being released and played for a while.

I leveled my Half elf Ranger (obviously not a maxer) to 60 and even got a fair amount of AA points on him. Got one Epic but never the other. That still bothers me. I switched it up a bit and twinked out some lower level toons (chanter-monk-cleric) to the 45-50 range. Mostly because the Raid game for a Ranger was always a hard one. Finally gave my account away to a friend that I met in game.

Anyway..

I always liked the ranger and Druid class. Always felt the Druid was a good friend making class ("Got SOW" and Port?) and one that was easy to get groups as an alt healer but I never played one.

My son and I play a lot of console games together but he really wants to see EQ and I just discovered p1999. I will probably solo more than play with him but the Druid is certainly a good duo companion.

Seeing as I joined the game when there were already level 50s and people that hit the gas on Velious to 60 before I was even 25 it does not bother me to do the low level grind.

Any advice on server to join? I think it will be fun again.

Man I remember how pissed I was the first time Tovax Vmar killed me in Qeynos hills when I was a badass level 5. I never forgot him and used to go back there at level 60 just to shoot him in the face with an arrow!
Old 08-14-2021, 10:28 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braselton [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey All.

I played back in the early 2000's. Started just prior to Velious being released and played for a while.

I leveled my Half elf Ranger (obviously not a maxer) to 60 and even got a fair amount of AA points on him. Got one Epic but never the other. That still bothers me. I switched it up a bit and twinked out some lower level toons (chanter-monk-cleric) to the 45-50 range. Mostly because the Raid game for a Ranger was always a hard one. Finally gave my account away to a friend that I met in game.

Anyway..

I always liked the ranger and Druid class. Always felt the Druid was a good friend making class ("Got SOW" and Port?) and one that was easy to get groups as an alt healer but I never played one.

My son and I play a lot of console games together but he really wants to see EQ and I just discovered p1999. I will probably solo more than play with him but the Druid is certainly a good duo companion.

Seeing as I joined the game when there were already level 50s and people that hit the gas on Velious to 60 before I was even 25 it does not bother me to do the low level grind.

Any advice on server to join? I think it will be fun again.

Man I remember how pissed I was the first time Tovax Vmar killed me in Qeynos hills when I was a badass level 5. I never forgot him and used to go back there at level 60 just to shoot him in the face with an arrow!
Welcome back[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I would join Blue at this point the timelines are close and the QoL is better on Blue, gear is cheaper; unless your heart is set on lower level groups which may be slightly easier to get on Green
Old 08-15-2021, 05:45 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilstoniakrath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Welcome back[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I would join Blue at this point the timelines are close and the QoL is better on Blue, gear is cheaper; unless your heart is set on lower level groups which may be slightly easier to get on Green

Honestly with the "Drood" or solo at first methodology if there aren't any low level groups I can still play.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2021, 09:34 PM
Fire Giant

Druid is a really good choice, especially if your just playing to enjoy playing.

Also don't forget monk is also a very viable option. I hear even a human monk can do well by themselves. It would definitely be an easier crawl than other melee. If you plan on mixing solo, with grouping a good percentage of the time, not being iksar isn't a huge loss.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:14 PM
Kobold

try red
Old 08-16-2021, 08:58 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
not being iksar isn't a huge loss.
Well except for that epic feign death emote.[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-17-2021, 10:39 AM
Planar Protector

Welcome back [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I’d definitely join blue just because you can more easily gear your characters out. A silver swiftblade or ranger 2hb (springwood stave or nature’s wrath) is like 100p. Often people will just donate stuff.

I played a ranger as my first char and my brother played a necro. He far outpaced me and got rich in the process, lol. Maybe pick a couple classes that work well together first and plan to gear out the ranger and catch it up later? Since the game is free and time locked you will always have use for a plat farmer or two anyways.

If you want to go with the ranger right out the gate feel free to PM. I’ll keep an eye out for a Swiftblade.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:39 PM
Planar Protector

Can't go wrong.

Decide if you want to easily explore the game as a druid or a necro (once you're in your 20's and 30's you really feel it) or an enchanter, or a mage though they have less versatility.

Or go more traditional with whatever other character you feel like playing. Can't go wrong. Play for the journey and you can't go wrong.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:52 PM
Sarnak

Green has a better low level population and is probably where most new people start. The culture is not as good as p99 blue but it still fine (more elf lawyers in the early game). The raid scenes are what they are and frankly it’s a toss up on blue and green for which is worse. Green still has the hybrid XP penalty in place which does make a big difference in time to earn each level.

Blue does have way cheaper newbie gear, more open camps, and a very nice culture (previous two benefits feed the last).

Can’t go wrong with either tbh. Also join a guild Castle would be a good choice on either server. Good mix of leveling groups and fun stuff but some raid action mixed in later in life.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:11 PM
Orc

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Green still has the hybrid XP penalty in place which does make a big difference in time to earn each level.

Blue does have way cheaper newbie gear, more open camps, and a very nice culture (previous two benefits feed the last).
Hybrid penalty is gone on green now. Gear is cheaper on blue, but groups at low level probably easier to find on Green. I second the notion of Castle being a good guild for you, will help you find groups.
Closed Thread