Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 02:02 PM
Orc

Default Coming back for Green - thoughts on class?

Played a lot on live and a bit on Blue a while back. Am looking to start playing again on Green but can't decide what to play. I know the population will probably be heavily skewed toward certain classes and I want to be something that will be able to find groups and won't be too overrepresented. I'm currently considering:

- Warrior: played one on live and would love to again, but might be tough on a fresh server because they are so gear dependent...

- Enchanter: will there just be millions of them everywhere?

- Mage: how over-represented will they be and are they desirable for groups?

- Wizard: useless for anything but quad-kiting and porting?

- Druid: My least desirable option, but has good utility...

Any thoughts or feedback would be great, thanks!
Old 08-25-2019, 05:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisrak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I want to be something that will be able to find groups and won't be too overrepresented.
Bard or Shaman then.

I wouldn't worry about playing an overrepresented class though.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:45 PM
Kobold

Bard might be a bad time at launch if hybrid penalties are in.

Of the classes you listed, Warrior is (almost certainly) going to be the least played at launch. Tanks will be at a premium, so finding groups should be easy. If you're interested in tanking at launch, however, I think I'd probably roll an SK or Pally, hybrid penalty be damned.

As far as the other classes you listed, Enchanter will be one of the most represented for good reason. Wizard is an interesting choice because, of all the times to roll a Wizard, launch day is the best. Since everyones gear sucks, and fights will be much longer than normal, Wizards get a chance to shine for the first few months. And you'll be absolutely essential in the endgame for ports into Hate and Sky, so if you have any interest in raiding, this would be a good time to roll before you become the de-facto "carry" class.

Mages will likely be somewhat popular at first, but there's very few magician mains that ever stick around for too long (in my experience). And druids? Yeah, there will be a lot of them, probably as many or more than the enchanters. Especially since many are going to roll with the intention of trying to get a dark elf mask in guk before it's nerfed. Myself included.

But really, the best advice is always to play the class you find most appealing and not worry too much about other people. You'll find groups on any class, particularly on a fresh launch. Just my two cents.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:19 AM
Orc

Good advice! I think I might just go warrior because it's going to be so underrepresented. It also makes the process of getting gear a lot of fun. Without the ability to twink, playing a warrior and getting gear along the way will really make for the "classic" experience, I think.

You make some interesting points about Wizard. I might give one a whirl as well and see how I like it. Its one of the few classes I haven't played, though, so I'll see how it is...
Old 08-26-2019, 04:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bard might be a bad time at launch if hybrid penalties are in.

Of the classes you listed, Warrior is (almost certainly) going to be the least played at launch. Tanks will be at a premium, so finding groups should be easy. If you're interested in tanking at launch, however, I think I'd probably roll an SK or Pally, hybrid penalty be damned.

As far as the other classes you listed, Enchanter will be one of the most represented for good reason. Wizard is an interesting choice because, of all the times to roll a Wizard, launch day is the best. Since everyones gear sucks, and fights will be much longer than normal, Wizards get a chance to shine for the first few months. And you'll be absolutely essential in the endgame for ports into Hate and Sky, so if you have any interest in raiding, this would be a good time to roll before you become the de-facto "carry" class.

Mages will likely be somewhat popular at first, but there's very few magician mains that ever stick around for too long (in my experience). And druids? Yeah, there will be a lot of them, probably as many or more than the enchanters. Especially since many are going to roll with the intention of trying to get a dark elf mask in guk before it's nerfed. Myself included.

But really, the best advice is always to play the class you find most appealing and not worry too much about other people. You'll find groups on any class, particularly on a fresh launch. Just my two cents.

Great advice all around ^^

I'll just add that while rogues won't be at their usual blue server DPS, they will still be steady DPS with whatever they are stabbing with and if you like groups you shouldn't be waiting for one very long [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-26-2019, 05:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'll just add that while rogues won't be at their usual blue server DPS, they will still be steady DPS with whatever they are stabbing with and if you like groups you shouldn't be waiting for one very long [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rogues suffer big time if the exact classic-era mechanics are in place. They are just average DPS even in ideal circumstances and they don't have Evade, so they can't get all that Backstab damage in a lot of the time.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:18 AM
Sarnak

Deciding race/class is the easy part - naming it tho....!!

Got an epic necru on blue but still thiking about rerolling necro on green. Awesome class. But Chanter would be fun as well. Maybe war since I never tried it... Or Sk for tanking and some soloing... Wiz? Yea why not, never tried it either... Did a ALS kinda project on blue - lvling a mage with absolutely no outside help inc buying stuff in EC. Great fun camping useless things to fill up slot. Maybe I try this on green...

Haven't even start thinking bout name yet...

Much depends on what will happen after Velious. If reset I will proably just fool around on green. Wont be playing there seriously if i cant take a break and comeback to deleted characters.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:09 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisrak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You make some interesting points about Wizard. I might give one a whirl as well and see how I like it. Its one of the few classes I haven't played, though, so I'll see how it is...
It was my main on Live, so I have a soft spot for the class. You'll never be first picked, but you have a straight-forward role with very little pressure - and every once in a while, you get the chance to play the hero by burning down a mob or evacuating the group.

If you do decide to roll, consider Dark Elf for racial hide. And make sure you choose Sol Ro as your deity for these sweet rings.