Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 09:09 PM
Sarnak

Default Starting to warm up to idea of Green but what class?

At first when I read about the Green server I was like "no thanks, I'll stick with Blue". Everyone kept telling horror stories about how day one will be an over crowded fight for each snake and skeleton that pops, items being perma-camped by people passing it back and forth to thier friends (so no one else can ever get it unless your in the clicke), ect. I never even heard of a mana stone until I started reading green server threads.

But then I remembered something. I missed both big launches. I missed the March 99 launch of EQ and I missed the launch of project 99. I was introduced to the original EQ in late October of 2000 so when I started Kunark was out and Velious was only a month away from being released. I was late to the show and missed the initial progression.

With Project 99 I didn't even hear about it until late 2017 or early 2018 so I was way late to this party. And again this meant I started playing with Kunark and Velious already out and a fully established raiding scene and economy.

But now I do actually get the chance to start from day one and progress for the first time. I just don't know what class to play. I want to make one and stick with it from 1-60 with no alt distractions.

I love the Druid. First class I played in both live EQ and P99. Easy to solo, east to make PP at higher levels and porting is so convenient.

I also love the Cleric. Best healer in the game, very welcomed to groups and guilds and a class I am very good at.

But maybe I should try something different. Definately not a hybrid cause of the XP penalty. I might enjoy a Warrior as a change of pace from pure casters or maybe a Mage to try a pet class.

Between those 4 (Druid, Cleric, Warrior, Mage) which would you choose and why?
Gavallin Wood Elf Ranger lvl 23 (blue)
Jardahni Human Monk lvl 2 (green)
Last edited by kaluppo; 08-29-2019 at 09:15 PM..
Old 08-29-2019, 09:16 PM
Planar Protector

Human inny cleric. Unmatched healing, snare necklace, and deadeye helm for global cooldown reset and perma see invis/infravision no more human Blindness. Also root undead soloing is an extremely Viable option when not grouping. A lot will be camped on green but it’s still doable. Hag tower, specs, etc. groups will love you even more because the closest alternative to cleric healing is shitty greater healing.

Also eyepatch and best fq. Melee are pretty weak in classic and you’ve already done druid.
Last edited by Crede; 08-29-2019 at 09:31 PM..
Old 08-29-2019, 09:35 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Human inny cleric. Unmatched healing, snare necklace, and deadeye helm for global cooldown reset and perma see invis/infravision no more human Blindness. Also root undead soloing is an extremely Viable option when not grouping. A lot will be camped on green but it’s still doable. Hag tower, specs, etc. groups will love you even more because the closest alternative to cleric healing is shitty greater healing.

Also eyepatch and best fq. Melee are pretty weak in classic and you’ve already done druid.
Both Clerics I leveled were High Elf so I was thinking maybe a Dwarf Cleric. But then I went to Wiki and looked at the items you mentioned as well as other inny cleric quest stuff and I think you might have the right idea there. The fright forged helmet and dread forged shield might be well worth the human cleric roll.
Gavallin Wood Elf Ranger lvl 23 (blue)
Jardahni Human Monk lvl 2 (green)
Old 08-29-2019, 09:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaluppo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Both Clerics I leveled were High Elf so I was thinking maybe a Dwarf Cleric. But then I went to Wiki and looked at the items you mentioned as well as other inny cleric quest stuff and I think you might have the right idea there. The fright forged helmet and dread forged shield might be well worth the human cleric roll.
And the clinging darkness necklace is a very nice tool to have. You will be a valuable snarer because rangers/sks likely wont be as popular due to hybrid penalty. Necros will be mostly soloing. And no one will want a druid in group with a cleric. Shamans get it too but you didn't mention them as an option. I wouldn't make a shaman until kunark anyway.

I have a dwarf cleric with epic and everything, tbh I wish he was a human.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:47 AM
Planar Protector

I'm probably going to go with a Mith Marr paladin, dwarf/brell tank, or possibly some kind of bard (Mith Marr, Zek or Veeshan).

Primary alt will be an anon rogue fashion quested to be warrior.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:56 AM
Banned

Red face

mE b Me N MAYb hEaL wEn snEk laNd oPen
HEaL aLso FuN!
Old 08-30-2019, 07:18 AM
Kobold

Always been crazy to me that anyone wasn’t hyped for green. Fuckin weirdos man, Blue has always been a shit version of what Green is gonna be.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporkotron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Always been crazy to me that anyone wasn’t hyped for green. Fuckin weirdos man, Blue has always been a shit version of what Green is gonna be.
I never made tailored whips before. I'm going to use tailored whips!!
Old 08-30-2019, 09:37 AM
Planar Protector

Consider if your going for temp or easier items.

Enchanters will be blitzing jboots.
Halfling clerics will manastone and guise both for the OP bristlebane/hide/sneak/evil OPness

Or make a dwarf rogue and not worry about anything [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-30-2019, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaluppo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Between those 4 (Druid, Cleric, Warrior, Mage) which would you choose and why?
One thing Ive found with progression servers is that tanks and melee classes are hard to come by for a month or two because people want the security of soloing as a caster. Which means that you are often hunted to group with in very good group exp zones like guk and solA and befallen or HHK najina and stuff, and also a little bit more unique.

So the warrior could be an excellent change of pace, but be prepared, that class's role on green99 is to be a part of the social experience. It's going to be all about going to the contested group spots and getting into groups, which I might add is kinda what you said you missed about p99s launch and what you're after with green99's so thats another mark for the warrior maybe..

Idk if you want a wild card, and a crazy green99 experience and are after "social experiences" over "pixels" then definitely go warrior. If you want pixels then maybe consider the mage/druid and if you want security, go cleric.

I might add cleric is going to offer all that crazy drama too, just with a bit more security. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

(edit: all that said that is if green99 is a live timelocked progression server and not something crazy like discord heh)
Closed Thread