Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Kobold

Default Locked frames - no longer smooth!

Hey duders

After the new patch, and the forced 60fps.. on a 144hz monitor, I'm finding when you slew your mouse look, it's no longer smooth.

Any suggestion? Can't force my monitor down to 60hz.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2019, 10:52 AM
Aviak

Short of lowering your screen refresh rate in nvidia/amd options, there is also the option of WinEQ. WinEQ can still provide a refresh rate cap -under- the hardcoded cap.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:57 AM
Banned

I actually kept my frames locked at 42 because I play on a potato. Are mine now hard locked to 60?
Old 09-09-2019, 11:28 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've had a 144 HZ Monitor for years and always had my FPS Capped at 60 in EQ, never an issue, and I run a 240 HZ Monitor now at the same 60 Cap. I think it will just come down to adjusting your monitor and video card settings.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 09-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Kobold

Thanks guys. Issue for me is that it’s a laptop panel, so Nvidia has no control over it. Any suggestions on specific settings ? Nvidia control panel will not allow a refresh rate change.

It’s bizarre as when I’m running around it’s smooth, soon as i slew it’s very apparent
Old 09-09-2019, 12:25 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks guys. Issue for me is that it’s a laptop panel, so Nvidia has no control over it. Any suggestions on specific settings ? Nvidia control panel will not allow a refresh rate change.

It’s bizarre as when I’m running around it’s smooth, soon as i slew it’s very apparent
I should add, running the game on a new laptop system has proven difficult in the past.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Aviak

Why can't you change your monitors refresh rate on a laptop? regardless, I just upped my monitor's refresh to 144 and, like Rogean, I'm still getting the ~60fps in-game. So, not really sure about your issue.

WinEQ is still an option though:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Kobold

it's not the frames, it's the laptop. I've had this issue in the past with getting it to run on laptops. I'll keep tinkering - wineq is ineffective for me, likely because I don't know how to set it up
Old 09-09-2019, 01:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I know some graphics card/monitor hardware can only handle certain refresh rates at certain resolutions.

Even if you don't want to play at a lower resolution, one thing you could try (if only to get another data point of information) would be lowering your resolution and seeing if that let's you change the refresh rate.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:08 PM
Kobold

Thanks guys...

It's nothing to do with refresh after some looking. It's the same stuff I get every time I get a new machine. It has to do with CPU load and how it interacts with EQ. I've had this problem on the last 3 laptops - which I can generally fix with adding extra back ground tasks like "Steam" or "Epic Games". Unfortunately after this patch, my "tricks" are no longer working. I've tried a new install as well. No joy. Maybe it's the end for me.