Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 04-15-2022, 05:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dural_Levant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was never really made clear, to my satisfaction, if this might it be misconstrued as boxing. I wasn't sure how to avoid the appearance of impropriety.
There are things you can do to make it more obvious to everyone the other character is indeed a second person.

a) You'll reduce the number of others who think you're boxing simply by NOT having the same surnames. I encountered this personally. My paladin and my wife's cleric have the same surname and some players assumed it was boxing for that reason alone. These self-appointed internet sleuths aren't exactly Sherlock Holmes! Lo and behold, on our shadow knight/shaman duo, which have different surnames, nobody ever accuses us of boxing.

b) Never use auto-follow

c) See to it that both characters are active at the same time. If a cleric sits there and does nothing at all but stand up and cast complete heal once in awhile, folks are going to think you're boxing. If that same cleric is actively helping out with stuff, maybe pulling itself, tossing out stuns, etc, folks will notice that.

d) If your partner is AFK and something like a train happens, don't run across the room to the other computer to try to move it, let it die. Not only will folks notice the afk person dying to the train as the afk person should, but saving it in that manner actually DOES violate the boxing policy.

e) If the other person isn't on, she isn't on. If she has a druid but isn't on, she doesn't log on just to port you, you find someone else or hire a Dial just like everyone else does. I know it's annoying because it's trivial for a person to stop what they're doing for a few minutes for something like that, but in this type of case appearances go a long way.

Note that the staff, if they suspect a boxer, will normally hang out in GM-invisible mode and watch you for awhile before they make their presence known and do their little anti-boxing test. If it's obvious enough you're separate people they won't even do it. They're not looking to pick on you. I've played P99 along with my wife since P99 opened, over 12 years now, and in that time we've never once been subjected to the "boxing test." Simply put, if you don't want to look like you're boxing, then don't do stuff that looks like boxing.

Danth
Old 04-15-2022, 09:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgatton [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm getting ready to start up again, and am thinking about playing with my 10-year old daughter. I have the IP exceptions already, did that a few years back but she was definitely too young then and didn't have the attention span. Now she's into 5E D&D and more interested in gaming in general, and we've played WoW a bit.

My question is wondering how ridiculous people are about reporting perceived boxing? She always autofollows me around in WoW and is pretty useless in fights lol, I end up doing most of the work. I can see somebody seeing us, thinking she's being boxed, and reporting it, and the policy seems to be an insta-ban without any real investigation? I have no desire to even start up with her here if that's going to happen.

Am I overestimating the likelihood of that?
It would help prove your innocence if you stream. Also this would give you a side-hustle to work on.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 04-24-2022, 04:52 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Soooo... there are not enough people playing. You can't solo most classes without others helping you. Boxing is banned ...and the game is 23 years old. Does anyone else see an issue with those things when combined?

My GF and her 6yo grand daughter both play and they are better than most of the 40yo virgins still playing this game. If I get banned for sharing an IP address I will find better things to do with my time.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:16 PM
Fire Giant

Smells like sun dried Tuna in here.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:09 PM
Aviak

To this day, it is pretty awesome that jagoffs are being banned for boxing.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enloopious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Soooo... there are not enough people playing. You can't solo most classes without others helping you. Boxing is banned ...and the game is 23 years old. Does anyone else see an issue with those things when combined?

My GF and her 6yo grand daughter both play and they are better than most of the 40yo virgins still playing this game. If I get banned for sharing an IP address I will find better things to do with my time.
There are plenty of people playing still. There is no issue. You're only going to get banned if you're controlling more than 1 character per 1 person. If you do so and get caught, good riddance.